Broncos Vs. Souths - Post Match Discussion

Good win, despite about 20 mins of some sloppy play and lazy defence. I'm glad to still see them pushing in a try on full time though, shows their determination. Souths were pretty average and looked very disorganised. I think our attack is the best we've had in years. We can score at anytime now, whether we're on the 1st or last tackle and at any position on the field.

Thought Thaiday, Ennis, Moon, Boyd were the standouts. Devestating to see Michaels go off like that. Hodges and Carroll proved how tough they are and what an asset they are to our team. Great to see Locky play the full game and come away unscathed. I like the fact that he's sitting back a little and not being the only playmaker. Keeps the opposition on their toes.

Well done boys! [eusa_clap.gi [icon_drun

Just read the courier which gave this list of injuries:

Second rower Sam Thaiday (concussion), centre Justin Hodges (shoulder), lock Tonie Carroll (hip) and fullback Darius Boyd (knee) were all casualties.

"We only had one player left on the bench at the end – Justin Hodges – and he was injured," said coach Wayne Bennett.

And of course Michaels aswell.....

I hope Boyd, Carroll and Hodges aren't to serious.... Especially Boyd and Hodgo, man if they have to sit out matches Reece Robinson will be the only one with experience in the backline, and that's 5 games [icon_ee

Tough performance from them, especially the guys that played on with injuries.

wally said:
Just read the courier which gave this list of injuries:

Second rower Sam Thaiday (concussion), centre Justin Hodges (shoulder), lock Tonie Carroll (hip) and fullback Darius Boyd (knee) were all casualties.

"We only had one player left on the bench at the end – Justin Hodges – and he was injured," said coach Wayne Bennett.

And of course Michaels aswell.....

I hope Boyd, Carroll and Hodges aren't to serious.... Especially Boyd and Hodgo, man if they have to sit out matches Reece Robinson will be the only one with experience in the backline, and that's 5 games [icon_ee

Tough performance from them, especially the guys that played on with injuries.

[icon_frown 5 injuries!!!
Yes, a very couragous effort by all the boys. [eusa_clap.gi Especially Hodgo and TC for coming back on with injuries. Very proud of them - lets just hope they will all be right next week [icon_pray. At least we are up the top of the table, not the other way round
And Michaels.....hope he comes back bigger and better in 09

Michaels wasn't on the bench I don't think, I'm pretty sure he went straight to hospital.

@Kee. Did he actually say that? [icon_ee

Edit: NRL states Hodges and Lockyer are fine. Hodges with a corked shoulder.

mick! said:
Souths were out to hurt us, but that's what every team does.

Michaels' injury was horrific, but it's just one of those things that happens in such a fast-paced, high contact sport like RL. I despise Vagana (the overrated nuffy!) but there was clearly no malice in the tackle.

Yeah, and I think it was Vagana's first tackle not around the neck since he played for Canterbury.

Sims played better than last few weeks and I can see him getting a Country jersey, and Wallace a City jersey.

Poor Michaels, but if there is a positive, it is that Joel Moon or a Gerard Beale may recieve a real go at first grade earlier if Stevie is taking off.

Michaels is gone for the season after doing his Anterior Cruciate Ligament. :cry:

Nashy i didn't mean Michaels on the bench when i said And of Course Michaels aswell.... just that he was injured.

A corked shoulder could still keep hodges out for a game, depending how bad it is... hopefully nothing to bad, he had an injection last night, hopefully might be able to get away with that next week.

wally said:
A corked shoulder could still keep hodges out for a game, depending how bad it is... hopefully nothing to bad, he had an injection last night, hopefully might be able to get away with that next week.

On the radio, they said he will play next week.

My thoughts on the game:

We dominated Souths for the first 40 minutes, and i think the score should have been much greater at half time.

Second half we dropped off a fair bit, taking into consideration injuries and what not. I think a better team would've punished us.

Ennis and Thaiday were the two standout players on the park.

Ennis' vision setup a number of plays and gained us metres up the park. He is extremely dangerous running out of dummy half.

Thaiday had an astonishing work rate last night, he was in everything. That cut out pass that led to Kemp's second try was brilliant. He deserves a spot in the test side for mine.

Boyd gave a very safe performance from the back, never looked like dropping a high ball and his positioning was excellent.

Kemp improved massively from last week and deserved his two tries, even if they were both dollies. Robinson also did very well coming back from injury, he has some decent pace and a great step.

Michaels copped a freak injury, poor bloke. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, he looked to be in a bit of pain.

Sims, whilst not quite back to his form from earlier in the season, played much better than in the previous few rounds.

Clinton was solid, and i'm looking forward to seeing him hit full form.

Big raps for Joel Moon coming off the bench, a great effort. Lovely work to lay on that try for Kemp after a nice play from the backline, and then his first try was quality as well just ran straight through the buggers. Hopefully he gets the chance to impress again next week.

Was a very gutsy effort by the boys. On a different note though. Did anyone else catch a bus home from under the stadium. How bad was it? They should have just kept the Cermside buses where they were. They obviously under-estimated the crowd. I was so pissed off having to wait for an hour just to get on a bus.

I am so glad to see Moon & Boyd play a great game. I have been their harshest critics.
Well done fella's icon_thumbs_u

Clintos said:
Was a very gutsy effort by the boys. On a different note though. Did anyone else catch a bus home from under the stadium. How bad was it? They should have just kept the Cermside buses where they were. They obviously under-estimated the crowd. I was so pissed off having to wait for an hour just to get on a bus.

I saw that crowd and was wondering if there was some accident or something! It was hardly moving.

Glad I catch the 444 from Coro drive.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html

This is probably pointless, but the poor grammar, typos and errors in this article are just sloppy. Stick to the "copy & paste from AAP" technique guys.

The bunnies tries to take advantage and narrowed the scoreline to 6-10 with David Fa'alogo's 29th minute try but a couple of silly errors cost them.

Broncos centre Justin Hodges promptly scored to bring up the 14-6 halftime margin and it was 20-6 then 26-6 following further tries to fullback Denan Kemp (49 minutes) and hooker Michael Ennis (53).

"We're having too many points scored against us. You've certainly got to improve you're offence if your defence is going that poorly.''

"They longest I've gone at the Broncos without a win is seven matches,'' he said.

Who's proof reading this?

Nashy said:
^ Exactly. They should have never been allowed back in. I hope the NRL has closed that legal loophole and gets rid of them.

To be fair (and yes I know 1 player doesn't make a team), but I do think Souths would be a complete different team and not have a zero in the wins column had Wing not been taken out for the season.

Flutterby said:
Nashy said:
^ Exactly. They should have never been allowed back in. I hope the NRL has closed that legal loophole and gets rid of them.

To be fair (and yes I know 1 player doesn't make a team), but I do think Souths would be a complete different team and not have a zero in the wins column had Wing not been taken out for the season.

It's not just this year I'm talking about. A team shouldn't have to rely on one player, and it's gone on for far too many seasons.

Nashy said:
Flutterby said:
Nashy said:

It's not just this year I'm talking about. A team shouldn't have to rely on one player, and it's gone on for far too many seasons.

Well they actually finished ahead of us on the table last year, so that wasn't too bad. I truly believe they would have continued to build on that this season, but have had some injuries to key players and without the depth currently to cover them.

Did enough to get the win with the injuries we had. Great games from Hodges, Lockyer and Ennis. But in all seriousness we were never reall in danger of losing that game. It's a damning indictment on South Sydney. Their fans need to stay strong because it's looking like being a while before they start putting something together.

Hopefully the Broncos manage to put on a better pre-game tribute for the ANZACS. It seemed rushed, corny and unorganised. And those in the crowd who felt compelled to yell during the whole thing shame on you...

Steve said:
Did enough to get the win with the injuries we had. Great games from Hodges, Lockyer and Ennis. But in all seriousness we were never really in danger of losing that game. It's a damning indictment on South Sydney. Their fans need to stay strong because it's looking like being a while before they start putting something together.

Hopefully the Broncos manage to put on a better pre-game tribute for the ANZACS. It seemed rushed, corny and unorganised. And those in the crowd who felt compelled to yell during the whole thing... shame on you.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.