Broncos vs Storm [POST MATCH]

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm wearing my Broncos shirt today, purely because I'm so proud about how well we did this season. Ivan and the team have done us all proud.

Last night Ivan made a monumental stuff up which cost us. He won't do it again, but the team who wasn't going to make the finals, made it one game from a Grand Final, I think we can all be very proud.

I don't agree with Rocky saying our defence had intensity at all. They were not running to Melbourne's line, they were waiting for Melbourne to arrive, and giving them far too many meters, then if one superstar wanted to go it alone, there was a massive hole for anyone to run through.

I also stand by my comments about Izzy. We are paying too much money for someone who does **** all in attack and defence.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
^
I don't understand why we didn't rush up either Nashy... especially since it worked so well against the Dragons and moreso the fact that Storm are a team where you have to otherwise C Smith gets the forwards rolling....

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We just lacked agression. We should've been fired up because of what happened last year...

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Manly and now Brisbane made Slater look good. Either sit back and wait for him, or have one defender rush at him? Of course he'll carve you up. Sims and Kenny or others sho9uld've been in his face all night, and when you have him held do your best to hurt him. Twist him, hit his knees, whatever. Make him reluctant to get tackled. Broncos just don't hit him and other Storm players hard. Too much respect for Origin teammates. **** Origin. While in a Broncos jersey your focus should be on injuring your opposition. We did it to the Dragons!

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
For what it is worth - I don't believe in hoodoos and what not either but our performances against Melb are getting ridiculous...

We can never tackle Slater and we look scared out there... Thank God we got them in the one that matters.. but the Storm nucleus and young (Slater/Inglis/Smith/Cronk) and they hold NO fear to play us... no fear at all... What Im saying is... they will have so much more confidence if we happen to run into them again in elimination... and we would definitely be second guessing ourself mentally... Even as a fan it really is the only current team I fear taking on....

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Slater was awesome but only because we let him have all the time in the world... He does score some pretty awesome tries though.

simmo77

simmo77

QCup Player
Aug 3, 2009
Considering the talent we let go at the end of last season (Hannant,Ennis,Boyd,Kemp,Stagg,Eastwood) I think our team of young guns did well to make it one game further than last year also with a rookie coach.

As always we are looking good for the future even during this rebuilding stage. How many other teams have gone through a rebuilding stage and struggled to even make the eight let alone getting to one game short of the big one.

Love my Broncos.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Manly and now Brisbane made Slater look good. Either sit back and wait for him, or have one defender rush at him? Of course he'll carve you up. Sims and Kenny or others sho9uld've been in his face all night, and when you have him held do your best to hurt him. Twist him, hit his knees, whatever. Make him reluctant to get tackled. Broncos just don't hit him and other Storm players hard. Too much respect for Origin teammates. **** Origin. While in a Broncos jersey your focus should be on injuring your opposition. We did it to the Dragons!

Careful coxy, you'll disrupt the Billy Slater wankfest.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Coxy said:

And he isn't even a fullback :grin:

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy; isn't the fact that the defense becomes a shambles when a Slater or Hayne get the ball an indication of how good they are, these two guys are so incredibly hard to predict let alone defend. Slater is a freak and he showed it again last night, sure he has brain explosions but I would have a guy like him in my side by my count he scored 2 tries and saved 2 that our fullback wouldn't have saved so there is a 16 point game from this brilliant fullback.

C

Captain Staros

BRL Player
Sep 2, 2009
Has anyone made the point that Folau is an ordinary centre and an ordinary attacking weapon. He just trucks it forward. No fend, no step, no evasive action. He can jump and he can finish, what the hell else can he do? And I've also thought this from the start of the season.

$400K+ for this?

S

sydney_bronco09

NYC Player
Apr 24, 2008
guys im just happy we are talking bout this team so late in the season after that debacle in Canberra. bring on 2010! there's a few surprises to come yet bronco fans!

C

Chumbason

BRL Player
May 10, 2009
This season wasn't really any different to that many over the last 20 years, we lost too many games that we should not have, we were lucky to win some games that we did... and the vast majority of our success is based on one or two players getting to done while the rest of the team comes along for the ride. This is Broncos culture, buy the best player you can and hope that he drags the team through more often than he doesn't, and a lot of the time it works, it's not good and it's not pretty but it has worked... but what when the 'great player' pool is empty and they've never been trained to play as a team??? What we've been seeing more and more in the last decade is what happens... our team of good players being smashed by good teams, we have no team work, no game plan and when it's all said and done, I think the next couple of years will be like the last 'till locky retires, and then and unless he's either replaced with another super star or we get a 'Real' coach, our future will fade. It's sad, but it's true... check the video.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Captain Staros said:
Has anyone made the point that Folau is an ordinary centre and an ordinary attacking weapon. He just trucks it forward. No fend, no step, no evasive action. He can jump and he can finish, what the hell else can he do? And I've also thought this from the start of the season.

$400K+ for this?

It is starting to look like somebody pissed into the wind. He has scored a hell of alot of tries in his short career though.

D

db1459

BRL Player
May 18, 2009
They need to give him his 5kg back. He is looking too light. He used to be unstoppable close to the line but is now easily contained.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Gymp said:
Coxy; isn't the fact that the defense becomes a shambles when a Slater or Hayne get the ball an indication of how good they are, these two guys are so incredibly hard to predict let alone defend. Slater is a freak and he showed it again last night, sure he has brain explosions but I would have a guy like him in my side by my count he scored 2 tries and saved 2 that our fullback wouldn't have saved so there is a 16 point game from this brilliant fullback.

Exactly. The only reason the defence looks like its holding off on players like hayne and slater is because they know how dangerous they are, and its always in the back of the defence's mind that if they rush up or make a tiny error that they will be made to pay. Good players dont need to be made to look good, they demand respect and in effect put doubt in the defence.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Also I do think he always plays exceptionaly well against us... particularly because our weakness has always been around that marker area in D... always has, always will IMO.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
They have a great play aimed at our markers using a big forward hitting open side close to the ruck as a decoy with Slater sweeping in behind toward a short side, this splits the markers and Slater gets the pill then steps back at speed at the gap left between the markers.

He didn't go through last night but just got caught and got a really quick play the ball which set up the rest of the 6.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manlyman
  • mrslong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.