Broncos vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls

LIVESTREAM YOUTUBE:

Wynnum trial team

LATE CHANGES: Te Maire Martin in, Tyrone Roberts (sick) out. Deine Mariner in, Ethan Quai Ward (leg) out. Gamble onto bench.

SEAGULLS SQUAD

Aaron Rockley
Bailey Hartwig
Ben Farr
Braden Whittaker
Brandon Jackonia
Caleb Daunt
Clayton Mack
Daine Spencer
Dredin Sorenson
EJ Lui
Ethan Malt
Felix Faatilli
Harrison Graham
Jack Bowyer
Jacob Sturt
James Robinson
Jayden Connors
Kalolo Saitaua
Kelepi Faukafa
Kyle Coghill
Lachlan Lee
Luke Bateman
Mathew Lyons
Matiu Love-Henry
Max Elliott
Max Plath
Nofoasa Malutoa
Ryan O’Keefe
Sam Scarlett
Sione Hopoate
Tom Farr
Tristan Hope
Sebastian Winters-Chang

11.15am: Harvey Norman Under 19 girls – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
12.50pm: Cyril Connell Challenge – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.15pm: Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4pm: NRL trial match – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Brisbane Broncos

STREAMING ON SEAGULLS TV (not on Fox/Kayo):

ALSO STREAMING ON FACEBOOK:

These preseason games will be broadcast on Fox/Kayo. In QLD time:

Feb 12, 7.10pm: NRL All Stars (also on Channel 9)
Feb 19, 7pm: Broncos v Titans
Feb 26, 8pm: Broncos v Cowboys

Other matches in AEDT. Subtract an hour for QLD:

6pm — Friday February 18: Roosters vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 18: Tigers vs Sea Eagles
4pm — Saturday February 19: Storm vs Warriors
6pm — Saturday February 19: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Attachments

• Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,654
Am I the only one who thinks this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves......maybe it's because of all the time he has off but....I certainly don't think of him in this category just yet

In my mind...he's still got a ways to go, just proving himself to be a regular member of the team.
He can definitely improve and defensively he still has a fair way to go, remember him getting clowned on a few times in the sporadic games he did play.

Attacking wise tho he's pretty much our main strike weapon. Or was. I think Cobbo might get that mantle this year.

Am I the only one who thinks this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves......maybe it's because of all the time he has off but....I certainly don't think of him in this category just yet

In my mind...he's still got a ways to go, just proving himself to be a regular member of the team.
He scores try's in traffic that he has no right to score and that most centres wouldn't but certainly would be nice to see him play 20+ games in a a season and do it consistently.

I finally watched through the replay.

In general I thought it was much improved on last year where the Broncos really struggled to control the footy. I remember last year Palasia had an absolute shocker on the left edge but playing in the middle he laid a wonderful platform with Flegler and just created so much space for his playmakers which is what eventually enabled Paix to work his dummy half sneak play.

Paix certainly has the tools, it's just about getting the experience and being able to work with his forwards around him. A few times it just seemed like he was in two minds or he failed to engage the markers like he would have wanted to and it hurt the play. I don't want to be too critical because there was still a lot to like but it's an area he's going to have to work on.

I thought the halves were a little rusty in general play, but what I like about Ezra is how he responds in broken play. If there's a play to be made, he's going to back himself and we saw that a couple of times where he swooped on the ground balls, beat a tackle and created space for his team. I don't think he's too far away but I just need to see some more before I'd be comfortable to give him an extended run in the NRL. Martin a little rusty as you'd expect, but if he gets going he'll be robbed of the Civoniceiva medal since he'd have missed too many QCup games playing for the Broncos.

I was also impressed with Nakubuwai and Amey. I forgot Amey is actually with the Magpies so that doesn't help the Seagulls there but they punched holes through that middle third and really allowed Walters to go on the front foot and play his natural game.

Only real complaint was the lack of tries through structured play. The few times the Broncos tried to play structured in that half the execution wasn't quite right and in the end their points came through a lot of trick plays including one that I'm pretty sure would get pulled up by the bunker (Isaako tap over). In general they did well to get through their sets, but that would have been the icing.

I didn't read as much into the second half since Wynnum largely played their BRL and Colts players but watching Te Kura for the first time this season was a sight to see. Not an amazing game by any means, but there's something to work with there and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's named Round 1 for the Devils (unless he's been moved around).

Still, a much better showing than last year with the team looking more composed than they did previously. I like to see how the younger players handle stepping up and Mariner in particular looks like an NRL certainty this year. I don't know how many games he'll play, but just the way he handled himself was all class and I'd be shocked if he doesn't debut.

Onto the next trial.

The keys really are Reynolds and Staggs. Reynolds gives leadership and direction, if he goes down, no one else offers that, not even Gamble to anywhere near Reynolds' level. Staggs is a freak and can pull something from nothing, if he goes down, no one else can do that yet, though Cobbo will get there more than likely but even so, he isn't quite there yet.
While I agree to a point, I think Reynolds just being around the squad is a big thing we have been missing the last few years.

Who did the halves have to look up to last year? Even if Reynolds did go down, he'll be there around the backup options as a mentor and will help guide them through it. Something we have been missing for years. Our young / backup halves will have a hell of a lot better chance of making a good go of it than they have in recent years.

While I agree to a point, I think Reynolds just being around the squad is a big thing we have been missing the last few years.

Who did the halves have to look up to last year? Even if Reynolds did go down, he'll be there around the backup options as a mentor and will help guide them through it. Something we have been missing for years. Our young / backup halves will have a hell of a lot better chance of making a good go of it than they have in recent years.
They had to look upto the 2018 POTY™ and get to say this was who we were behind.

I finally watched through the replay.

In general I thought it was much improved on last year where the Broncos really struggled to control the footy. I remember last year Palasia had an absolute shocker on the left edge but playing in the middle he laid a wonderful platform with Flegler and just created so much space for his playmakers which is what eventually enabled Paix to work his dummy half sneak play.

Paix certainly has the tools, it's just about getting the experience and being able to work with his forwards around him. A few times it just seemed like he was in two minds or he failed to engage the markers like he would have wanted to and it hurt the play. I don't want to be too critical because there was still a lot to like but it's an area he's going to have to work on.

I thought the halves were a little rusty in general play, but what I like about Ezra is how he responds in broken play. If there's a play to be made, he's going to back himself and we saw that a couple of times where he swooped on the ground balls, beat a tackle and created space for his team. I don't think he's too far away but I just need to see some more before I'd be comfortable to give him an extended run in the NRL. Martin a little rusty as you'd expect, but if he gets going he'll be robbed of the Civoniceiva medal since he'd have missed too many QCup games playing for the Broncos.

I was also impressed with Nakubuwai and Amey. I forgot Amey is actually with the Magpies so that doesn't help the Seagulls there but they punched holes through that middle third and really allowed Walters to go on the front foot and play his natural game.

Only real complaint was the lack of tries through structured play. The few times the Broncos tried to play structured in that half the execution wasn't quite right and in the end their points came through a lot of trick plays including one that I'm pretty sure would get pulled up by the bunker (Isaako tap over). In general they did well to get through their sets, but that would have been the icing.

I didn't read as much into the second half since Wynnum largely played their BRL and Colts players but watching Te Kura for the first time this season was a sight to see. Not an amazing game by any means, but there's something to work with there and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's named Round 1 for the Devils (unless he's been moved around).

Still, a much better showing than last year with the team looking more composed than they did previously. I like to see how the younger players handle stepping up and Mariner in particular looks like an NRL certainty this year. I don't know how many games he'll play, but just the way he handled himself was all class and I'd be shocked if he doesn't debut.

Onto the next trial.

You would hope the "lack of tries through structured play" is going to be addressed with Reynolds on the park. All of our other halves really do seem to me to be five-eighths, even Kelly (who played mostly 7 for the Titans but really is a running half as opposed to an organiser).

You would hope the "lack of tries through structured play" is going to be addressed with Reynolds on the park. All of our other halves really do seem to me to be five-eighths, even Kelly (who played mostly 7 for the Titans but really is a running half as opposed to an organiser).
Sure... But the rest of the team need to know how to play to the structure. If it was just the halfback, there wouldn't be much structure to it

Active Now

• Justwin
  • NSW stables
  • Stix
  • Wolfie
  • thenry
  • Lazza
  • the_next
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Accept
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • mitch222
  • Allo
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • Foordy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.