NEWS Broncos won't match massive Oates offer

I actually think Wayne means he knows Wayne sees him as a winger with Brisbane. I know for a fact Corey sees himself as a forward. Havent ever seen much about him playing fullback and wing, but it depends what age you are talking about. From what i know most of his football from his mid teens onwards the majority have been in the forwards until we stuck him on the wing.

Im sure he only went into the backrow whilst playing 20's.

Oats has to make the call. The right one is obvious, stay on the wing, become the clubs greatest winger, win at least one comp and get paid fairly. If he choses the other option i believe he will get paid overs, will end up getting less, will play at the least two other clubs.

Oats has to make the call. The right one is obvious, stay on the wing, become the clubs greatest winger, win at least one comp and get paid fairly. If he choses the other option i believe he will get paid overs, will end up getting less, will play at the least two other clubs.
His body is already damaged goods. Regardless of what he does, he probably has only a limited career left. And if he beat the odds and plays till at least 30, he will never match the skill level of a Sailor or a Tuqiri. Not that it will be relevant anyways as his Bronco days are most definitely numbered.

Paying big money for a winger is how shit teams get themselves into cap trouble. I love Oates as much as the next guy but you just can't do it.
Ready made replacement in Anthony Don from Titans. He has refused to sign a new contract on reduced terms.

Ready made replacement in Anthony Don from Titans. He has refused to sign a new contract on reduced terms.

Bahhhh!!! Hahaha! Your fucking with us right ? Anyway has already re signed and i guess ol mate from union will probably replace oates

Bahhhh!!! Hahaha! Your fucking with us right ? Anyway has already re signed and i guess ol mate from union will probably replace oates

What about that English kid that came here a few years ago ?
He was going good apparently

Ol mate from Union is actually pretty young and contracted till 2019. Guess ol mate Pearson (if he is re-signed) will have to keep the position warm for a year.

Pearson should get the gig if and when Oates leaves. He's had a shaky start with his slippery boots but from most accounts has plenty to offer. I don't want Oates to go but I reckon he's gone.

If I were advising Bennett, and I had his ear on this issue, I'd sell it to him like this:

Re-sign Oates on the sort of figure he'd be keen on alongside selling to him the convenience of staying in Brisbane and playing in the forwards, under the arrangement that for the opening 7 rounds of next year, he'll come off the bench as a second rower and Pearson comes onto the wing. If he proves himself there, he comes into the starting side, TPJ moves to Lock and McGuire goes back to Prop to partner Joe O/Lodge in the 10. If he doesn't fire, he moves back to Winger no questions asked and regular programming resumes.

7 rounds of footy with training in between is ample time for a player with his experience to adjust, so he can't whinge that he got the short end. The only negative of this setup I can see is taking TPJ out of the 12, which I can see plenty of people around here not being a fan of. Positives though, seem worth it to me. We keep Oates, Pearson gets a decent shot at 1st grade, and even if he fails to fire we have Oates there ready and waiting to slot right back in. I'd love to see what TPJ can do with that offload at Lock as well.

Im sure he only went into the backrow whilst playing 20's.

Pretty sure he has been playing back row before. I've seen him play back row before the 20's. Most younger blokes though do tend to switch around a lot of positions though while they are growing.

If I were advising Bennett, and I had his ear on this issue, I'd sell it to him like this:

Re-sign Oates on the sort of figure he'd be keen on alongside selling to him the convenience of staying in Brisbane and playing in the forwards, under the arrangement that for the opening 7 rounds of next year, he'll come off the bench as a second rower and Pearson comes onto the wing. If he proves himself there, he comes into the starting side, TPJ moves to Lock and McGuire goes back to Prop to partner Joe O/Lodge in the 10. If he doesn't fire, he moves back to Winger no questions asked and regular programming resumes.

7 rounds of footy with training in between is ample time for a player with his experience to adjust, so he can't whinge that he got the short end. The only negative of this setup I can see is taking TPJ out of the 12, which I can see plenty of people around here not being a fan of. Positives though, seem worth it to me. We keep Oates, Pearson gets a decent shot at 1st grade, and even if he fails to fire we have Oates there ready and waiting to slot right back in. I'd love to see what TPJ can do with that offload at Lock as well.

that would be a lie to Oates ... with all our young talent, there is no room for him on the bench.

we should just tell him straight ... we love you, we want you to stay, but you're a winger.

Keep him as a winger but develop more plays where he can run a backrower's line so he feels like a backrower at times during a game but doesn't have to do the tackling.

ie the run before Lodge's try against the Sharks, and his try off the scrum against Penrith

Last edited:
Keep him as a winger but develop more plays where he can run a backrower's line so he feels like a backrower at times during a game but doesn't have to do the tackling.

ie the run before Lodge's try against the Sharks, and his try off the scrum against Penrith
Or, as I’ve heard he’s not the sharpest bloke, give him some masking tape so he can put a ‘1’ in front of the ‘2’ on his back.

That ought to keep him happy - problem solved!

Last edited:
He's been seen roaming around in the middle a few times in recent games.

Wonder if that's enough to scratch his itch? A few "forward type" set plays.

Seriously, I don't understand.... he's in the conversation for one of the 4 best wingers in the comp (based on SOO selection). Why does he want to jump in line behind the plethora of quality second row forwards in Brisbane, let alone QLD or Aus?

I'm beginning to come around to the thought that he's happy at the Brisbane as a winger, and it's all just a storm in a tea cup. Top him up, and once the management is sorted out, he'll be locked in.

Wouldn't say there is a plethora of second rowers coming through qld... had he been a second rower this year he may have got a start and become an incumbent

Wouldn't say there is a plethora of second rowers coming through qld... had he been a second rower this year he may have got a start and become an incumbent
Sadly this is probably correct...

It says more about walters poor mentality then it does our depth though... it takes more effort to lose a spot then it takes to get a spot. Jarrod wallace is a poster boy for this new selection policy...

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Culhwch
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.