Broncos Youth Players and Young Guns coming through.

Andrew Dawson is reporting that we have signed Tom Learoyd-Lahrs son, Kaiden and Jamal Shibasaki (brother of Gehmat) to our academy.

Andrew Dawson is reporting that we have signed Tom Learoyd-Lahrs son, Kaiden and Jamal Shibasaki (brother of Gehmat) to our academy.
Hopefully Jamal doesn’t have his brother’s hands, I remember one highlight video that he looked really impressive in

Jamal is a phenomenal footballer, he played CC for the Blackhawks and the Townsville coach told me in pre-season watch him as much as you can.

Round 1 v Cutters- two tries, top tackler with 30 and 144m- that’s different for a lock.

Anyway might be fluke.

Round 2 v Pride- Two tries 202m

I watched all his CC games and he had five tries from four games at lock. It’s a shame the CC didn’t have finals or anymore football.

He's been with the Broncos all year, great young player to watch. Really enjoyed it this year.

Still looking for the latest list of development players. Anyone?

Logan Bayliss, Harrison Graham, Deine Mariner, Blake Mozer, Ethan Quai-Ward, Xavier Willison.
Xavier has already played first grade. Wouldn't he be in the top 30 now?

Logan Bayliss, Harrison Graham, Deine Mariner, Blake Mozer, Ethan Quai-Ward, Xavier Willison.
By reports, this group is a really strong development list.
I get that Penriff have won a premiership with their bunch so they surely deserve all the accolades, but our development and identification of players in the last few years has been outstanding. We surely have the most nrl players come through us compared to every other nrl club, and we lose one and another 3 appear.
It's time we start saying to players (which ikin and DD appear to be doing) "hey, you leave we will just produce another. We won't be held to ransom, it's an honour to play for us, take this reasonable offer or **** off". I have complete faith in our development and identification now, couldn't say that 5-10 years ago. We need to retain the ones with the right attitude and I have faith in DD and ikin to do so..

By reports, this group is a really strong development list.
I get that Penriff have won a premiership with their bunch so they surely deserve all the accolades, but our development and identification of players in the last few years has been outstanding. We surely have the most nrl players come through us compared to every other nrl club, and we lose one and another 3 appear.
It's time we start saying to players (which ikin and DD appear to be doing) "hey, you leave we will just produce another. We won't be held to ransom, it's an honour to play for us, take this reasonable offer or **** off". I have complete faith in our development and identification now, couldn't say that 5-10 years ago. We need to retain the ones with the right attitude and I have faith in DD and ikin to do so..
Whilst I agree with you. Choosing the development path over other players is what got us in the mess.

Whilst I agree with you. Choosing the development path over other players is what got us in the mess.
Yes and no... whilst I think Penrith is an anomaly with their success from near 100% development, I do think that we are one of the only clubs in a position to mimick similar, but sprinkled with a bit more outside influences (eg Reynolds and capewell, similar experienced signing next year) to re-direct us in the right direction.
I think we were just simply poor in our retention and with our salary cap management. We also let too many experienced players go that led to these young guys getting their spot before they earned it.
We need to re-sign talented young players well before their contract is up and make them earn their next one. Take little punts, rather then getting them to debut the year their contract runs out or after they sign a new contract. 2 years in the nrl will tell you what you need to know, I know it's not always possible but it should be a target every time.

Yes and no... whilst I think Penrith is an anomaly with their success from near 100% development, I do think that we are one of the only clubs in a position to mimick similar, but sprinkled with a bit more outside influences (eg Reynolds and capewell, similar experienced signing next year) to re-direct us in the right direction.
I think we were just simply poor in our retention and with our salary cap management. We also let too many experienced players go that led to these young guys getting their spot before they earned it.
We need to re-sign talented young players well before their contract is up and make them earn their next one. Take little punts, rather then getting them to debut the year their contract runs out or after they sign a new contract. 2 years in the nrl will tell you what you need to know, I know it's not always possible but it should be a target every time.

Remember though, it took the Panthers 5+ years and 2 coaches to get where they are today by going down the pure development route.

Broncos fans don't have that patience.

Remember though, it took the Panthers 5+ years and 2 coaches to get where they are today by going down the pure development route.

Very true. Not expecting a replica of what Penrith have done. But I think we are in a position to keep producing so much talent that we can fill nearly any spot internally given the right support around it.

I mentioned it more to highlight that we don't need to keep being held to ransom by these young players, they aren't so special. Our wooden spoon proves it and our production line proves they aren't irreplaceable

Part of that process was signing reliable established players and slowly replacing them with young guys as their original crop of youngsters reached maturity.

With Capes, James, and Reynolds we’re in a position to do that. By the time they move on most of the current young guys will be mid-20s and half a decade into their careers.

i think it was more we weren't developing them that got us in trouble

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MrMoore
  • Strop
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • theshed
  • Broncorob
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • HVbronco
  • BroncosMan
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.