Bulldogs vs Souths

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
This deserves it's own thread.

In the 78th minute, Adam Reynolds went for a last-gasp field goal to even the scores. The kick fell well short but South Sydney received a penalty after James Graham tripped into Reynolds' leg. As a result, Souths were able to take a penalty shot right infront of the goal, effectively giving them the win.

Did the referees get it right?

What did you make of the Bulldogs reaction?

How do you think the NRL should react?

Yes the refs got it 100% right. Doesn't matter if it was an accident. They did get it wrong by not penalizing Millard for the push in the back after that though. But then Graham should have been sent off, along with Klemmer.

The NRL should fine and suspend Graham, but they won't because of Todd Greenberg. I'd also like to see the NRL force the Bulldogs to take a few home games elsewhere because their fans are fucking terrible. I know it was a small amount but no other group of fans act the way they do so they deserve some form of punishment.

The refs got it totally right.

10.(a)If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front of the goal posts. (b)If the attempt at drop goal is successful, a kick at goal must be taken from the penalty kick and play re-started from the centre of the halfway line irrespective of the outcome of that kick. (c)If the attempt at drop goal is unsuccessful, the penalty kick can be taken in any manner provided for in the Laws and play re-started according to the outcome of that kick.

Though it's 2013 edition.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL Rules book 2013FINAL.pdf

What make this sad is not one of the commentators knew the rule.

Graham should be fined heavily for the way he went on. (I mean the 8 point try as well)

The Bulldogs should be fined heavily for the way their fans reacted.

Last edited:
So JT gets nailed late tackle after tackle with intent by Newcastle thugs and refs do nothing, Graham attempts to put pressure on someone taking a field goal, trips and accidentally hits his leg.

Penalty from in front, game over - sorry.

Klemmer's reaction was just putting how I was feeling into words, it's completely politically incorrect but I would have blown up the same way having the game decided for you with no recourse.

Hasler dealt with the fallout professionally at the press conference, like he said it's in the rule book somewhere but he was more concerned about the non-penalty of Morris being interfered with during the last kick-off.

Geeeee I dunnnnno.. maybe technically speaking it was a penalty, but given the circumstances of the game, the fact that Graham wasn't even looking at Reynolds when the contact was made, the fact he was going purely for the ball and then signalled for the trainer immediately after realising he made contact..

Extremely unlucky on the Bulldogs behalf, and I completely understand their reaction, it was a bit over the top, but in all honesty most captains would've reacted the same way (Maybe slightly less in the referees face)

Reynolds out for 4 months. Souths are going to need those two points.

Any other game and it'd be play-on. Why do the refs choose now to start taking an interest in playmakers being taken out? Reynolds' acting surely played a part.

Clear penalty for mine, there are way too many incidents of "accidental" contact like this one. It was reckless at best and Graham should have been marched for his carry on, is it not pointing at the ref because you bend your finger FFS just ridiculous. That spit only served to incite the crowd and it's not the first time for him.

Big fines coming for the Dogs I hope.

He had given up. He fell into his leg. Its rugby league, accidents happen. If he had been tackling him, foul.

And this big deal about a few plastic bottles, and a ref slipping over is dumb.

Any other game and it'd be play-on. Why do the refs choose now to start taking an interest in playmakers being taken out? Reynolds' acting surely played a part.

Hardly.

The refs have come down hard on this for while now so why should today's game be any different ?

Graham attacked the legs of the kicker, like they always do.

Penalty every day of the week.

He's out for four months

I heard about it on the ABC on the way home and just saw it on the news ... and here is my take on it:

The referee was 1000000% right in this case, the rule was brought in about 2 years ago that if you make contact with a kicker below the wast the it is a penalty, no ifs buts or maybes. it doesn't matter whether he had intent to go for the legs or not.

Reynolds is likely to be out for 4 months because of the incident and thats the reason the rule was introduced in the first place.

The way Graham acted is disgraceful, it is not the way an NRL captain should act...

The Bulldogs fans acted disgracefully, but it is not the first time for them and it wont be the last, in fact i heard that a Bulldogs fan actually king hit a bunnies fan and sent them to hospital ... as i said disgraceful.

I can comment on referee inconsistency throughout the game as i didn't see it (just the highlights and that incident/reactions of fans etc)

Scott should have been penalised for several of his shots on Thurston as well, but thats another story.

1428072582.png

Nah. Wrong call. Worst.

ps. i heard a bulldogs supporter on the radio claim that captains should have the balls to march their players off the field when the referees are blatantly wrong ... then he mentioned a decision that was 100% right according to the rule book.

he also claimed that fans should start taking matters into their own hands... :laugh:

For mine, bad call and he wasn't attacking the legs. He made contact true but not a penalty in my eyes, just a footballing accident. He looked like he had lost his footing and couldn't have avoided some contact no matter what. I saw Thurston taken out with a shoulder charge in the newcastle game..no penalty....total inconsistency

Here's the incident for those that missed it:

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule was brought in because NSW had a massive whinge with the way Price used to charge down kicks.

To me, it's a stupid rule. Kickers kick with their legs so naturally that's the area players will target. It can cause injury, but it's a full contact fucking sport. It's getting to the point where you can't do anything. You have to stand there and watch them kick.

As for the call, technically it's a penalty but IMO they should have let it go. Graham was trying to charge down a field goal attempt to stop Souths from winning and he missed.

I don't blame the fans and players for being pissed off. It's a ridiculous rule.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Socnorb
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
  • Fatboy
  • simplythebest
  • Lozza
  • achievedrap
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Gaz
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.