Cam Smith

I disagree; as the Foran case has shown this week. Players have no clue what they're signing or what is in their contract. Foran had a million dollar handshake and didn't know or the club.

You can and should argue it's their job to know and they should take an interest if they're putting their name to something but you're kidding if you think they all do.

Plenty have the attitude I give my manager 10% to worry about things, bring me things and I will sign it.

It would be pretty easy for a club to be dodgy and players never know.

Hang on. In the Storm case weren't the players found to have signed two contracts? One for their real salary and another, lower one to be sent to the NRL? It'd be pretty hard for someone like Smith to claim he couldn't understand the implications of that. Someone like Turd Ferguson I'd believe, I mean he's 5 cruisers short of a roof recovery session, but Smith seems like a cluey bloke.

Anyway, they've paid their penance and I'll have no issues supporting anyone in maroon this Wednesday.

That really made me 'laugh out loud' ! I love it that there are few who can genuinely read between the lines and read the invisible bits so clearly...well done, well done ! 1910s post made me giggle a little too as I made that same argument about players trusting medicos...however I was told then that there are no excuses, each and every player is responsible for every single itty bitty thing....apparently ! Naturally that's not my view as I realise the players are human beings just like me....and not some gods who gain special abilities when they start getting paid to play a sport !

I see them as different although I did think of it as I was writing. I have complete control over what goes into my body; i don't inject it or eat it then I can't fail a test or be subject to speculation or investigation. No outside influence can make me take something or force me too. I have complete control unless I surrender that control.

The cap though you're one working part, and it's not your job to worry about it. I am one 25th of the cap as far as the players are concerned and I have no clue what the other 24 parts are getting or doing. I say yes to a deal and accept it assuming it will then be registered and approved by the NRL after they look into my club's cap. I sign on for a car etc then I have no idea of the holistic situation in relation to the cap.

Peats signed on for a car and last week Eels took it back because it put them over the cap; no one has called him a cheat? He took a car he should have known that it would put the Eels over.

Foran signed two contracts with the Eels for two different amounts and the Eels sent them both to the NRL to register.

Hang on. In the Storm case weren't the players found to have signed two contracts? One for their real salary and another, lower one to be sent to the NRL? It'd be pretty hard for someone like Smith to claim he couldn't understand the implications of that. Someone like Turd Ferguson I'd believe, I mean he's 5 cruisers short of a roof recovery session, but Smith seems like a cluey bloke.

Anyway, they've paid their penance and I'll have no issues supporting anyone in maroon this Wednesday.

I'd be looking at managers more than players; here mate sign this it is the approved deal for your Storm deal and gets you that car and those other things- yep sure let's go have coffee and do it.

Oh Mr Foran you just signed two deals.

[MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION] it was reported that only one of the contracts that the Eels sent to the NRL had Forans signature on it.

It doesn't sound like Alex Mckinnon will be applauding Smith on Wednesday night.

It doesn't sound like Alex Mckinnon will be applauding Smith on Wednesday night.

Understandably so I think. Poor form from Smith at the time and I'm sure he regrets it now.

Interview on 60mins tonight with McKinnon and apparently he has a dig at Cam's comments on the field that night.

He does.

Alex McKinnon slams “disgusting” Test captain Cameron Smith over tackle slur

ALEX McKinnon has described as “disgusting” personal blame directed at him from people he “once had great respect for” — including Test captain Cameron Smith.

McKinnon accuses Smith of blaming him for the tackle that has left him facing life in a wheelchair.

McKinnon, who is still furious that Smith argued with the referee immediately after the tackle in March, 2014, says he has not heard from Smith since.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...over-tackle-slur/story-fniabjcr-1227428499309

Not being nasty, but Alex is to blame for the tackle.

He ducked his head & that's what caused his injury.

Does Alex want all players to keep in contact.

Why would Smith call him, he wasn't involved in the tackle.

Last edited:
Agree Harry, it was very poor form from Smith at the time and I hope he does regret. For those that don't remember Smith seemed to show nearly no regard for the state McKinnon was in when it happened and spent nearly ten minutes arguing with the ref that Mckinnon caused it to go that way.

Poor form and to be fair if it were say Gallen that acted that way there would be a lynch mob

He does.

Alex McKinnon slams “disgusting” Test captain Cameron Smith over tackle slur

ALEX McKinnon has described as “disgusting” personal blame directed at him from people he “once had great respect for” — including Test captain Cameron Smith.

McKinnon accuses Smith of blaming him for the tackle that has left him facing life in a wheelchair.

McKinnon, who is still furious that Smith argued with the referee immediately after the tackle in March, 2014, says he has not heard from Smith since.

That's the worst part for mine. What he said on the field was always going to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths and at the very least, he should have contacted Alex to explain/appologise/whatever. IMO anyway.

I agree, McKinnon contributed greatly to what happened in that tackle.

Clearly it's an emotional topic for Alex and I understand that and he can be angry at Smith that's his right. But Smith isn't a spinal doctor he had no clue the severity of the injury. It happens out there every game players argue that wasn't high he fell into it etc.

Storm have said they tried numerous times to arrange visits but were denied.

Melbourne Storm today reiterated that its thoughts and best wishes remain with Alex McKinnon for his continued recovery. His story continues to inspire the rugby league community.
In relation to specific references regarding our club in media reports published today, Storm would like to make the following points:

1. At the time of this tragic accident, no one on the field had any idea of the severity of the injury Alex had suffered. All at Storm and especially the playing group were shocked and horrified to learn of Alex's injuries in the days after the event;
  2. Storm players led by captain Cameron Smith requested to visit Alex in hospital numerous times while he was in Melbourne. The requests were declined which was totally understandable given Alex needed to focus on the initial stages of his recovery;
  3. Storm's Football Director continued to liaise with his Newcastle equivalent regarding the right time for club players to contact Alex in the weeks and months after the incident;
  4. Cameron Smith was proud to launch the #riseforalex round last year alongside Paul Gallen, as well as to wear Alex's jersey number at Storm's game in Melbourne in the same round. Storm's fans raised more than $20,000 for Alex that day alone.
Storm sincerely wishes Alex and his family all the absolute best for his continued recovery.

I think it's a bit ridiculous for Alex to single Cam out here.

Captains argue every single call against their team - it's their job! How many times do we hear "It just slipped up off the ball" when they are penalised for a high shot? This is no different imo.

I feel really sorry for Alex Mckinnon and what happened to him and maybe I'm being insensitive but could 60 minutes not wait one more week til SOO was over before airing this story . Cameron Smith is going to cop alot of criticism over this a few days before one of the biggest games of his life , would be a shame if the game becomes overshadowed by this . Even more surprising thhe fact both programs are on channel 9 makes you wonder what their motivations are ?

Not being nasty, but Alex is to blame for the tackle.

He ducked his head & that's what caused his injury.

Ok, say you trip down some stairs and are heading face first into concrete and you cant use your arms.

What do you do? Do the scenario in your head, just quickly - what is your first instinct?

Last edited:

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Allo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • pennywisealfie
  • Morkel
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Accept
  • Hurrijo
  • Spoon
  • Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • kman
  • Wild Horse
  • achievedrap
  • Rookie Alan
  • Bish
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.