Cam Smith

Most of the players didn't realise the extent of the injury.

The incident occurred just before half-time in the AAMI Park clash, and Mason said it was tough for both sides to continue playing after hearing McKinnon's anguished cries.
"Probably at the time we didn't realise the full extent, but I was standing next to Alex and it was pretty horrifying the words that were coming out," Mason said.

Emotional Knights battling to cope

The viewers knew it was serious, because we watched it happen & saw everything.

Nobody knew instantly he'd be confined to a wheel-chair, but it was obvious this wasn't some run of the mill situation either (as evidenced by Mason's quote) and Smith got his priorities wrong. He was blinded by his duty as a captain, when as a person he should have realised this was bigger than the game itself.

I don't blame the McKinnons being upset with him.

However, I do blame 9 trying to demonise Smith.

I thought by law they had to give him a chance to respond. Maybe he didn't want to?

Yeah I wonder what Korbin Sims thinks of Cameron Smith seeing as he wants to play for Queensland but is also Mckinnon's best mate . Didn't hear him say shit about Smith even though he was on the show heaps . Wonder what he's thinking .

Nobody knew instantly he'd be confined to a wheel-chair, but it was obvious this wasn't some run of the mill situation either (as evidenced by Mason's quote) and Smith got his priorities wrong. He was blinded by his duty as a captain, when as a person he should have realised this was bigger than the game itself.

I don't blame the McKinnons being upset with him.

However, I do blame 9 trying to demonise Smith.
You've summed it up perfectly. Shitty time for CH 9 to do it, obviously to maximise ratings around origin, but it was obvious this wasn't a normal injury and Smith should've handled the situation much better than he did. The reports were McKinnon was screaming that he couldn't feel his legs, so it was pretty obvious it wasn't a normal injury and 8 minutes later Smith is still whinging about a single penalty in a game of rugby league. It was poor form.

Well because Smith is the captain...and if he thinks the captain is a dog then maybe he doesn't belong in the team til Smith retires . He has associated himself with a show and journalist that just had a huge go at Smith...It's not like it's nothing

I thought by law they had to give him a chance to respond. Maybe he didn't want to?
Apparently not when you're a journo for "A Current Affair", which essentially is what 60 minutes has become under Gyngell...

This. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by responding, at least publicly. Either he continues to uphold his thoughts that McKinnon's actions were the biggest factor in the injury (which it seems the majority here, including myself, agree), or he backtracks totally and says that it was all McLean's fault. There would be no scope for an apology, saying he was wrong to argue with the refs, while still maintain his stance on blame - the media wouldn't go soft on it and would probe and push to the nth degree. The best thing he can do is put it out of his mind and respond privately when the time is more appropriate, if Alex lets him.

I don't think this is the end of this situation unfortunately. It's clear that Alex does not believe he's contributed, or refuses to believe as such. I'm not saying that in a "he did this to himself" way, because he was one contributor out of many. No one's actions were totally responsible, and as has been mentioned it was just an accidental ****-up. But accidental or not, had he not tucked his head in it would not have been as severe, regardless of whether it was a deliberate attempt to roll or an action out of panic. But it seems to me that in his head, for him to admit that he contributed to the outcome is something he can't do, which is why I think there are still significant mental demons and if he can't come to terms with that then his dark thoughts aren't over.

You've summed it up perfectly. Shitty time for CH 9 to do it, obviously to maximise ratings around origin, but it was obvious this wasn't a normal injury and Smith should've handled the situation much better than he did. The reports were McKinnon was screaming that he couldn't feel his legs, so it was pretty obvious it wasn't a normal injury and 8 minutes later Smith is still whinging about a single penalty in a game of rugby league. It was poor form.
Maybe it was a (in hindsight, poor) way to try to protect his own player.

However, it was in the heat of the game, and not a calculated plot around Origin time to influence the Maroons camp through its captain, while gathering some publicity for your book.

As much as I feel for the guy, I've lost all the respect for him. But like BP said, Channel 9 are as big, if not bigger culprits in all this.

Did 60 Minutes use the song Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

Some of the lyrics are, When your legs don't work like they used to before.

Did 60 Minutes use the song Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

Some of the lyrics are, When your legs don't work like they used to before.

From what I heard, they used a Sheeran song. Probably that one.

Whoever decided he should do a book, especially while everyone involved was still playing, is an idiot. There's nothing to gain. He loses respect from a lot of neutrals as it appears to be him trying to make a quick buck out of it (which let's face it, he probably does need considering).

It sets up the current Australian captain to be essentially called the worst human alive by the media + everyone anti-Smith. And lastly it's brought up all the issues that, while important, didn't need to be raised again. Particularly his incident i.e. did he duck, could he have helped it, who's at fault, how etc

Sure Smith would've liked to have had his time over, but I'm sure 95% of captains would've said something along the lines of what he did. Especially since the diving has been creeping not-so subtly into the game. But he's never not supported Alex in any of the subsequent charity efforts (as mentioned above by 1910). So you can't have a go at him, considering he's one of the most innocent parties when it comes to the cause of what happened to Alex.

Also NSW will write it off as 'dumb Qld conspiracy' but you can't deny the convenient timing. And it's exactly the kind of thing they'd stoop to doing. THAT they can't deny. I haven't gotten into the Origin mudslinging like in the past, but this has just pissed me off tbh.

Finally, great work Channel 9, the home of Rugby League™

This is mud raking sensationalist media crap. Few days before an Origin decider, FMD Channel 9 you are poison for the game.

As if it couldn't wait a week ffs

Maybe I should have thought about that more.

Misguided emotion from Alex (which is understandble, when he's talking about the moment that ruined his life).

Had Smith known the extent of the injury (unprecedented before that tackle), I am sure he would have chosen to hold his tongue. He might also have been under high emotion or stress (or concern for his own team mate's welfare, or just wanting to be the Cam Smith argue the toss on every point competitor).

He said it quietly to the referee. He didn't say it standing over McKinnon or to the Knights players.

Smith actively supported the Rise for Alex campaign after the event.

I would feel the same even if it was Paul Gallen that was being undermined by the leech media.

60 minutes fuelling controversy and emotion - that's their modus operandi.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • thenry
  • heartly87
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Nerd
  • marw
  • Yem
  • Financeguy
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Astro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrRobot
  • Porthoz
  • Old Mate
... and 50 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.