NEWS Cameron Smith announces retirement

He doesn't need money so this isn't just about throwing bags of cash his way. I'm convinced right now he only cares about his legacy and winning.

Unfortunately, signing for us isn't going to add trophies to his mantlepiece or add anything to his resume. He doesn't transform us into a premiership contender. If anything it would just set the NSWRL media against him as they death ride his failure, and people will use his time in a Broncos jersey to detract from his achievements at the Storm.

Hang up the boots Cam.

Last edited:
Jeez you really think by now everyone would know better than to think that Smith or Bellamy would ever join or help the Broncos.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Smith was delaying on purpose, has already told the Titans he's retiring and is now stringing the Broncos along just for a laugh.

Can't stand the bloke or the team.

Love what cam is doing. The bloke hasn’t said a thing publicly, can’t blame him for this rumour it’s all journos at this point. would make me laugh if he was just trolling us one last time.

I think he will retire but this saga just makes me dislike this guy more. If he did intend to play on, the arrogance of thinking he can just walk into a team despite not going through a preseason pisses me off. Yes he could probably do so and still be the best 9 option at the broncos or titans, but it would show complete disrespect to the guys who did go through the hard preseason fitness drills etc. To try and earn their spot.

He's the biggest diva the NRL has ever seen. His ego has its own gravitational pull

I think he will retire but this saga just makes me dislike this guy more. If he did intend to play on, the arrogance of thinking he can just walk into a team despite not going through a preseason pisses me off. Yes he could probably do so and still be the best 9 option at the broncos or titans, but it would show complete disrespect to the guys who did go through the hard preseason fitness drills etc. To try and earn their spot.

Yeah but it isn't just any player we are talking about here, it is arguably the best of all time who has shown absolutely zero signs of slowing down. You would gladly cast aside any of our current 9 options for him.

That said, he isn't coming and never was so no point thinking about it any further.

He would certainly give us direction on the field, that's what we've been missing the most since Locky.

Last edited:
The most logical reason for his prevarication is he’s waiting to see if the Storm relocate to QLD again, which is not off the cards.
He’s clearly left the city of Melbourne.

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from ... this late in the season, no club is going to have the spare million free that it would require to sign Smith (at least for the NRL to accept the contract) ... this way they can get him for half a million
Didn't the NRL already come out and say they would accept a contract of $600k for Cam?

Be interesting to see how the odds change with CS9 at the Broncs though. IMO he's the only player in the NRL that can utilise Milford, personally if we can combine Smith and Milf either go to the top in try assists for the year..
I just was reminded to have a bet on that possibility you mentioned. Had a hundred on the Broncos to win the minor premiership. You'd have to get better than 50-1 anywhere I'd think but it's bound to change if CS9 declared 'one last mountain' to complete the game's greatest career.

The Broncos have two spots left in their 30-man roster. One will probably be Billy Walters, the other is free for Smith. The Shit Factory thinks Smith could front the Broncos at the end of March to play in April, so Brisbane will only have to pay seven months’ wages under the salary cap.

Smiths's old man, Wayne, is being wheeled out for comment now:

“The longer it goes, the more he seems to be agonising about playing again. He won’t be going back to Melbourne, I know that much, if he decides to play on. Cam is agonising over the decision, he is weighing up what is best for the family and best for him. He has a lot to consider. He will be 38 this year, does he want to get bashed up again this year at that age? Cam wants to make a decision without emotion. The reason he doesn’t take people’s calls is because he doesn’t want to be swayed by emotion or other people’s thoughts and all that white noise around him. The whole decision will be about the impact on his family (if he plays on).”

“It would be hard for him to decide between the Broncos and Titans. He was coached by both Mal and ‘Kevvie’ (Walters) during his Origin career, so he has links to both clubs through them. The reason I thought he might retire last year was because of the impact on his family. He has been away from his family a lot over the years and being stuck in the bubble last year with COVID really hit home about what he was missing out on with his family.”

Cobble hill puzzles 500 pcs archie love triangle

Bellamy:

“I spoke to Cameron (on Friday morning) and we didn’t even talk about it (his future). We just talked about family and how he is settling in to his new surroundings (on the Gold Coast). As I have said a million times, Cameron deserves as much time as he needs to make a decision and then make an announcement and we will back him all the way.”

Gold Coast co-owner Darryl Kelly:

“From what I understand no-one here has spoken to him. I know nothing. I’m in the dark about Cam Smith. If he wants to play on, I dare say he would approach Mal and then we would go through the appropriate processes. Do you really think he would play for anyone but Melbourne? I can’t see him in anything but a Melbourne Storm jumper.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Imagine if he has been secretly training with the broncos and is actually in incredible shape.

Well that was a waste of everyone's time other than letting us know Ben Hunt is captain of St George.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • porouian
  • Midean
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Dash
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bronx48
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Allo
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Organix
  • Galah
  • Fitzy
  • Alec
  • Foordy
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.