Can Queensland continue its dominance 5 years in a row?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
So question is in the title, who thinks QLD can win a record breaking 5 series in a row?
Does anyone think NSW will be any better or QLD any worse this year?

The way I see it is that QLD is even better this year while NSW is really the same as last year. Selecting Gidley as captain again will just fill me with joy icon_smile NSW would dream to have any one of our 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice halves.

Fun times ahead :)

I think Queensland will, mainly because I don't think NSW are up to it at all. They have some good players but not as good as QLD has, and especially in crucial positions.

As long as we don't make some NSW-like dumb selections, I think we'll win.

The only thing in NSW's favour at the moment is the possibility Cam Smith won't play Game 1.

If he's right to go then it's game over for the Blues once more

Ballin and Payne are both good players...but they're not Cam Smith.

But I sense your fear Rocky...and I like it!!!

The Rock said:
It's QLD's to lose.

1. QLD have a better team
2. QLD have kept nearly the same sort of team for 4 years.

yep, we breached the Origin salary cap :P

Rockys 100% right, it's ours to lose. On paper I don't think I have ever seen a better team, and nearly every one of the players is firing at club level. Thaiday and Myles are by far the best backrowers running around, inglis and slater are fast on their way to becoming some of the best backs of all time, folau is showing he's got more than just a good jump, Lockyer and thurston don't need anything said, and players like Bolton and shillington have taken their game to another level that many probably didn't think they had.

If we lose it'll be our own fault

Slater/Lockyer/Thurston/Smith

A team with that spine will never be beaten (well, not very often anyway)

No Neil Henry this year, is there?

Hopefully we don't miss his input too much.

We have Michael Hagan as the tactician now. I was worried about it at first but I think he can do a good job there, as long as Mal keeps the boys fired up and in check.

Right now Queenslands biggest worry is not having Cam Smith in game 1. The influence this bloke has on any side he plays with is incredible, we still have big players to run the show and capable hookers to fill the void, but anyone who thinks we won't miss him may well be in for a shock IMO.

I can't see us loosing, but I wouldn't put anything by Bellyache - considering this series is all he has to play for this year, I think he'll step up big time, but he's not taking the field and tactics would only make the difference is the Blues were closer in quality to the maroons side - we are country miles ahead of them in the talent stakes, as long as the quality isn't wrecked by selections sillies, (which qld selectors are worryingly averse to doing), we should stroll it in!

Plus based on that shit NSW pulled in game three last year, expect Qld to spend their evenings watching that game and come out fired up - I wish hodgo was there, he would rip Creagh in half!

I am not too worried about not having Cameron Smith in the team, I am more worried about the fact that Steve Price is not the team to put pressure on NSW kickers.

I think I can remember back in games 2 & 3 of 2005 there was a big discussion about who was going to pressure Andrew Johns' kicking game because Price was out injured, and coincedently Johns' had a mile of time to pin point his kicks. I am pretty sure it was Michael Crocker that tried to fill that role of Pricey, but to no avail.

I just hope Mal realises this, and works something out.

Broncos08 said:
I am not too worried about not having Cameron Smith in the team, I am more worried about the fact that Steve Price is not the team to put pressure on NSW kickers.

I think I can remember back in games 2 & 3 of 2005 there was a big discussion about who was going to pressure Andrew Johns' kicking game because Price was out injured, and coincedently Johns' had a mile of time to pin point his kicks. I am pretty sure it was Michael Crocker that tried to fill that role of Pricey, but to no avail.

I just hope Mal realises this, and works something out.

We're gonna have to learn to win without him eventually. Our props are in better form than NSW at the moment so there shouldn't really be a problem there.

Price's influence is big, but he's not the most crucial part of the team.

I think QLD will be hurt more by the loss of Smith if he isn't fit. Although that said Smith was guilty of a lot of wrong options last series, often ignoring Locky and Thurston and going himself.

Friend is unselfish. Play him.

But, QLD will win regardless. Australian backline and Halves, can't go wrong. Ours to lose.

we gotta remember we only just won last year. 1 and 2 we got to big leads before letting them back in it. we gotta make sure we play all 80 this time

QUEENSLANDER said:
we gotta remember we only just won last year. 1 and 2 we got to big leads before letting them back in it. we gotta make sure we play all 80 this time

Yeah true, only the games at Suncorp have been big wins from us. Sydney is still a really hard game for us, it's been pretty close most times down there.

Would LOVE to thrash the bastards in their own back yard though, just to really sink the boot in.

even though the scores were close last year, it was purely through luck that NSW got near us. in that first game they got like an intercept try and 2 tries directly off kick deflections.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • kman
  • Broncosgirl
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • westy316
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • The Don
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Lostboy
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Bish
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.