NEWS Chris Johns quits

Kevvie's bestie, Old Boys Chairman and serial whinger Chris Johns has thrown in the towel on the eve of Ben Ikin's arrival at Red Hill, citing disrespect. Yet Walters claims he's all aboard the Ikin train.

Chris Johns:

“Yes, I have stood down. Because of my frustration at what I think is a lack of support and respect to ‘Kevvie’. We seem to continually spiral down the same drain with the same people making the same decisions at Kevvie’s expense.”

Walters:

Johnsy has been blueing with the Broncos for some time, so he’s probably had enough to be honest ... I don’t know.”

ScreenMV5BMjE4Mzg3OTgxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM0MDgxOA V1 UY1200 CR47206301200 AL

Without knowledge

“I think Ben Ikin is a great appointment, we are starting to get things in shape here at the Broncos. I’ve had great support since Dave Donaghy came into the building. I have no complaints about Dave Donaghy. I am in dialogue with him all the time. It’s been a tough week for sure, but Dave and I are working closely together on the decisions that have been made."

“We are all on the same page with the changes and I’m looking forward to getting back to training on the weekend. Dave has made it clear that, if required, I have his full support to bring in extra resources."

8e62f2bb7bf3846f0042496a7838b720

Never meaning no harm

Donaghy:

“Our club has a really strong relationship with the entire Old Boys network. We’ve increased our support to the Old Boys this year and we are working through ways to support them further. We are channelling a lot of energy and investment into our football program. We will continue to provide Kevin with the support he needs.”

McHunt

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Is he, though?

The Cowboys were just making up the numbers prior to his arrival. They were a top 4 side within two seasons of him becoming head coach. Turned them into a premiership winning side and got his team to the GF without JT two years after winning the premiership.

It's all been downhill from there, but Cowboys were always going to have some bad years post-JT. He was such a big part of their club and such a big part of that side.

I look at our roster and think he could do something with it.
He hasn't been successful in PVL ball. After the Cowboys won the comp they were pretty useless under him, and his selections in Origin are just weird. Safest selection is Flanagan.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He hasn't been successful in PVL ball. After the Cowboys won the comp they were pretty useless under him, and his selections in Origin are just weird. Safest selection is Flanagan.
While I’m no fan of Green, “safest” may be an interesting way to describe Flanagan considering how marred with controversy his coach career has been.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Is he, though?

The Cowboys were just making up the numbers prior to his arrival. They were a top 4 side within two seasons of him becoming head coach. Turned them into a premiership winning side and got his team to the GF without JT two years after winning the premiership.

It's all been downhill from there, but Cowboys were always going to have some bad years post-JT. He was such a big part of their club and such a big part of that side.

I look at our roster and think he could do something with it.
They got to the GF on a Michael Morgan purple patch with other teams falling over. They didn’t trouble Melbourne at all in that game

Green is a hack, and got lucky with the one the Cows won. He became a meme before he left the Cows because he didn’t change with the game or his team selections. Knowing him he’d probably do a Hook and sign Jake Granville, Justin O’Neil and Lachlan Coote

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
why do these threads always turn into some sort of a Green, Flanno, Kevvie threeway with Wayne holding the camera in a dark corner stroking himself?
Could be because it's one of the most important issues at the club.

While I’m no fan of Green, “safest” may be an interesting way to describe Flanagan considering how marred with controversy his coach career has been.
Skill wise, he is the safest and most realistic.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
why do these threads always turn into some sort of a Green, Flanno, Kevvie threeway with Wayne holding the camera in a dark corner stroking himself?
Because people keep bringing them up. Along with players that aren’t signed to the club but people assume they will be.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Didn't this guy have a punch on at the Caxton with Cartwright earlier this year?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Chris Johns has stated Kevvie didn't know about Ikin, Kevvie saying he did.

The club will know who is lying etc.

I think Kevvie didn't know.

And now the club knows Kevvie is bitching about things behind their backs & wanting backup.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
To some degree, Cows really had some bad luck with Morgan’s injury/early retirement. They’d banked on him to build a team around and as soon as JT retired, their plan was destroyed.

His selection policy, especially regarding youth puzzles me. There’s plenty of history there and he lost some incredible players due to what I perceive as stubbornness.

Them winning the comp wasn't so much to do with his coaching but rather the brilliance of Thurston, I remember that season there were so many games where for about 60 minutes they weren't even in the game.

Then Thurston would turn it on and they'd come over the top of their opponent, it was far from a coaching masterclass but just a clutch player delivering when his team needed it, ironically that's how they won the GF, they weren't the better team on the night but the right things fell into place for them when the game was there to be won.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Them winning the comp wasn't so much to do with his coaching but rather the brilliance of Thurston, I remember that season there were so many games where for about 60 minutes they weren't even in the game.

Then Thurston would turn it on and they'd come over the top of their opponent, it was far from a coaching masterclass but just a clutch player delivering when his team needed it, ironically that's how they won the GF, they weren't the better team on the night but the right things fell into place for them when the game was there to be won.
And of course when in doubt play Lolo for 80mins

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
And let's not ignore the disgusting bias and leniency the Cowboys got from the refs for many years to make up for when they were dudded by some legitimately horrible mistakes years earlier.
* 1 horrible mistake. the Hand of Foran. I hate hearing about that stupid 7 tackle set, it happened in the first 10minutes of the game. Same with the knock on ruling against the roosters. Most likely the correct call imo.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
* 1 horrible mistake. the Hand of Foran. I hate hearing about that stupid 7 tackle set, it happened in the first 10minutes of the game. Same with the knock on ruling against the roosters. Most likely the correct call imo.

They got enough rub of the green for the next 10 years to make up for 4 or 5 horrible mistakes.

At points it was truly blatant.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
The howler in the Roosters game was the blatant obstruction by SKD right in front of the posts where the penalty would have won the game.

But they also let themselves get 30-0 behind, so 🤷

Muros

Muros

BRL Player
Jun 19, 2021
I just love the line from Chris Johns about Kev being disrespected.
Mate, a rookie coach who said we would make the finals has not only got us running last but we are a rabble.
Who is disrespecting who here ? You got your way, the guy was appointed, when no other club would touch him despite him applying for every head coaching gig that had come up in the past five years, he now reckons there has been a five year slide at the Broncos before he arrived (funnily enough that bit was missing from his narrative when he got the job), and you have the hide to say he is being disrespected ?
Is there any performance, no matter how poor, which should see him accountable ? If so, what is it ? You can stick the "We'll win a premiership within 4 years" line he started trotting out on the weekend where it belongs.
Four years of this rubbish is certainly disrespectful ... to the club, the fans, the players, the sponsors, ... everyone but Kev and the (self described) old boys.
As Corey Parker said earlier this year, who are these old boys exactly ? Just Kev's mates ?
Disrespected. Please.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think the biggest surprise for me is that I didn't know he was employed by the club.

Active Now

• Organix
  • bert_lifts
  • thenry
  • bazza
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.