Classic Grand Finals

96 vs. Chooks is right up there.

8-0 penalty count including a penalty for an incorrect tap to decide the game.QUOTE]

Thanks so much. Always wondered what that penalty was for.

96 vs. Chooks is right up there.

8-0 penalty count including a penalty for an incorrect tap to decide the game.QUOTE]

Thanks so much. Always wondered what that penalty was for.

Yes, the rule back then was you had to put the ball on the ground and tap it for a 20m restart. Penalty taps etc could be held up and tapped.

Gee did a "penalty tap" tap for the 20m restart.

Guess what happened? They changed the rule after that.

I was only 6 during that time but were incorrect taps as scrutinised as they were that night? From the way the commentators were talking and from Gallows Broncos book it seems like the ref. was just trying to flaunt his knowledge of the rules.

I was only 6 during that time but were incorrect taps as scrutinised as they were that night? From the way the commentators were talking and from Gallows Broncos book it seems like the ref. was just trying to flaunt his knowledge of the rules.

To be honest I'd never seen anyone do a tap wrong in that situation before. The whole "lift your foot up and tap it at knee height" thing was fairly new. Almost every tap I'd seen was placed on the ground first.

So nobody at the time could actually remember seeing a 20m restart done incorrectly and not penalised.

It was definitely a nitpicker, and the fact the rule got changed as a result shows how stupid the rule was, and Paul McBlane was certainly flaunting his knowledge of the rules. No argument with any of that.

My memory tells me the penalty count was actually 10 nil but the records show it was 9 nil...That mcBlane was a biased prick !!!

The records must be wrong then.

What's your source CF?

Middleton & Gallows books have it as 8-0.

The 93 grand final would be one of the greatest achievments in Rugby League. Finishing 5th (last place into the finals at the time) winning 3 straight then the Grand Final. Absolutley outstanding

The 1992 GF was , at least for me , the best GF. I was there. Great season, minor premiers then Premiers

It's probably wrong but this indicates 9 nil

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/ARL_1996/Round_14/Sydney_City-vs-Brisbane/summary.html

hope that works.....my old memory box tells me the last penalty was the tenth against us but I've been wrong before

I know the managers of the website. Would be interested to hear how they came up with that count & whether it's just a misprint.

I definitely don't think it reached as high as 10. The replay was on before the second Parra game this year & the 8-0 penalty count certainly rings a bell. I just don't know if that was before the Gee penalty or not.

What a pain. I would really liked to have watched the only perfect team in living memory........or is there another team which has received no penalties ?? Earlier this season I was reminded of that game when listening to the commentary on an NRL game. At that time one of the teams had not received a penalty and it was nearing the 70th minute. However I did not watch the rest of the game. I think I had guests. Irrespective of the actual number, more should have been made of the obvious bias.

No offence but have you even seen any of these games? Weren't you born in like 1995-1996?

It's next to impossible to find copies of these games you're talking about unless someone in your family has them recorded.

Fox sports always replay them, you can buy all the grand finals on DVD. Watch highlights, most families would also tape games.

In the 1992 GF Alan Cann scored twice in the second half and Steve Renouf scored as well. All three tries were on the same patch of in goal. The best bit was for my mate and I who had bought crap tickets at inflated prices. Where we ended up sitting was directly behind the dead ball line and best of all only metres from where Cann and Renouf scored. Watching the youtube clip from '92 the head on view of Renouf running the near whole length of the field was the same view old mate and I had. It was truly great to be there, the day when the mighty Broncs took the first premiership from the southern scum.

The commentary by Rabs is the best when Renouf runs away to seal that grand final.

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Behold
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Griffo
  • Big Del
  • Volvo Driver
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jedhead
  • Broncs1459
  • Brotherdu
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.