NEWS Coach Anthony Seibold wants fresh attitude from Broncos players

Gaz

NRL Player
Coach Anthony Seibold wants fresh attitude from Broncos players

New Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has put his Brisbane stars on notice, insisting the squad needs to find a harder edge in performance to break the longest premiership drought in the club’s history.
Seibold was shocked to receive the loudest cheer at Brisbane’s annual fan day at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday — emphatic evidence Broncos supporters have embraced change in the post-Wayne Bennett era.
Now Seibold wants a fresh attitude in the change room, admitting no Broncos player can take his position for granted as he tries to bridge the gap between the squad’s best and worst performances.
Brisbane had the class to beat top-four sides the Roosters, Sharks and Souths twice last season, only to crash out in the first week of the finals with a dismal 48-18 drubbing against the Dragons at Suncorp Stadium.
Seibold clinched the NRL coach of the year award last season by bringing razor-sharp consistency to the Rabbitohs and he says he won’t tolerate erratic fluctuations as Brisbane chase their first title since 2006.
“Absolutely, that’s our whole program (being consistent),” he said.

Coach Anthony Seibold watches over a Broncos pre-season training session. Picture: AAP
“If you look at individuals and look at the team collectively last year, on their best day the Broncos were nine out of 10, on their worst day they were three or four out of 10.
“That comes down to individuals and the collective group.
“We need to close the gap.
“The only way I know how to do it is to be consistent at training. We’ve still got some inconsistencies across the group but what we are working hard towards is closing that gap.
“The players are aware they need to sweep the floor every single day. If you don’t sweep the floor every day at home in the kitchen, by Wednesday and Thursday it is going to be dirty.
“But if we sweep the floor every day, it will be a clean kitchen. That’s my mentality to training.
“We can’t stand still, we have to keep working hard to improve.”
Brisbane’s 2019 squad were unveiled one by one to Broncos fans at Suncorp. But the rousing crowd reception wasn’t for Tevita Pangai Jnr or $1 million man Anthony Milford.
When Seibold took to the stage, Brisbane fans roared as one.
“I wasn’t sure if I would get that,” he said.

“Hopefully this time next year I get the loudest cheer as well.
“It’s the first opportunity for me to meet a lot of the members. The least I can do is shake a few people’s hands and introduce myself and spend some time with the fans.
“For me personally, to come back home to Queensland and the Broncos was the right choice. It wasn’t an easy decision by any means, certainly a lot of emotion was attached to that decision, but it’s humbling to be warmly welcomed by the members.
“They are counting down the days to see the guys represent their club and we are preparing the best we can.”
The Broncos will begin their run to the 2019 premiership season with a trial in Warwick this Saturday night. Seibold says he has a fair idea of his top 17, but admits a couple of jumpers are still up for grabs.
“I want to see actions at training and actions in our trial games,” he said.
“The way I model our training, we have a depth chart and players know where they stand in the depth chart.
“If you are working hard at training, there is an opportunity to jump ahead of someone. If someone jumps ahead, you go down the pecking order, but I have a pretty good feel for what I feel the shape of the team looks like.”

Source: Courier Mail.

Last edited:

Rico

QCup Player
The bloke signed autographs all morning and was happy to have photos in the dressing room for the whole fan day. A massive change from years gone by. On the face of it really values members and supporters. Players look fitter than I’ve seen in years at the same day. Going to be a good year men.

Broncos Maestro

QCup Player
The bloke signed autographs all morning and was happy to have photos in the dressing room for the whole fan day. A massive change from years gone by. On the face of it really values members and supporters. Players look fitter than I’ve seen in years at the same day. Going to be a good year men.
How were they in past years? (Genuine question as I have never been to one)

Rico

QCup Player
How were they in past years? (Genuine question as I have never been to one)
Forwards with puppy fat type of look. Matt lodge, Matt Gillette, jack bird, milf, Tevita all look leaner and better for it. Fifita and sua will hurt people this year in the shape they are in.

On the coaching front, In all honesty i never saw WB have a single conversation or look remotely engaged with a single member...ever

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Forwards with puppy fat type of look. Matt lodge, Matt Gillette, jack bird, milf, Tevita all look leaner and better for it. Fifita and sua will hurt people this year in the shape they are in.

On the coaching front, In all honesty i never saw WB have a single conversation or look remotely engaged with a single member...ever
I didn’t go to this one but I have been to two of them and both times Wayne stood out on the field for ages surrounded by fans and doing autographs and pictures. My kids have selfies with him and his autograph on posters and hats. He was pretty good I thought.

Jedhead

NRL Player
I drove past Lang Park as it was finishing and crowds leaving. Saw two little girls with their mum wearing Dresses in Broncos colours with the club logo. Both had smiles like watermelons. They obviously enjoyed the experience so good onya boys. Now get set for a bumper year.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich

I had a chat with WB and he had no problem with it. He was quite decent and gave me a few minutes of his time. He mentioned he didn't like Morkel or Porthoz and I wasn't sure how much more I could love him.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've met him, but only because one of his longtime family friend's used to post here.

JAHHW

NRL Player
The allegations that Bennett doesn't engage with members and fans is ridiculous and I'm pretty over the lies spread about him on here. The agendas are just really dishonest at this point.
It’s funny that you’re criticising people you claim are extreme anti-Bennett, but in the same post, demonstrating you lean just as far toward the opposing pro-Bennett side.

Bit hypocritical isn’t it?

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
It’s funny that you’re criticising people you claim are extreme anti-Bennett, but in the same post, demonstrating you lean just as far toward the opposing pro-Bennett side.

Bit hypocritical isn’t it?
It would be both funny and hypocritical if I wasn't disputing something that is complete bullshit.

Last edited:

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
The only people Bennett doesn't have time for is the media. If you see him out on the street say g'day and he will more than likely smile and say hello back, if you see him out and try have a chat he will more than likely have a chat. I'm over the pro-Bennett, anti-Bennett bullshit that goes on here but I'm more over the bullshit that is spread and believed on this forum. It's a joke. Also JAHHW JAHHW where is the hypocrisy on my side? Am I spreading a lie?

JAHHW

NRL Player
It would be both funny and hypocritical if I wasn't disputing something that wasn't complete bullshit.
But what makes you right and others wrong?

Do you know what the experiences each and every person who have met Bennett have been like? Were you there? Do you know, unequivocally, that he’s been 100% engaging to every fan / member or casual League fan that he’s ever spoken to?

No you don’t. And I guarantee you, if someone has only met him once and he was rude, dismissive or whatever else, that’s likely how their opinion of him will be formed. Likewise, if he was great, engaging and charismatic.

So really, you are merely speculating and driving your own agenda - and based on how outraged you are about others seemingly having agendas, that’s hypocritical.

Last edited:

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
But what makes you right and others wrong?

Do you know what the experiences each and every person who have met Bennett have been like? Were you there? Do you know, unequivocally, that he’s been 100% engaging to every fan / member or casual League fan that he’s ever spoken to?

No you don’t. And I guarantee you, if someone has only met him once and he was rude, dismissive or whatever else, that’s likely how their opinion of him will be formed. Likewise, if he was great, engaging and charismatic.

So really, you are merely speculating and driving your own agenda - and based on how outraged you are about others seemingly having agendas, that’s hypocritical.
I am disputing this line

"In all honesty i never saw WB have a single conversation or look remotely engaged with a single member...ever"

That's the one I was responding to. It is definitely possible that Rico didn't see it but it's incorrect to say that he didn't have a single conversation or engage with a single member. What makes me right and others wrong? A quick google image search can prove it. Here you go

Last edited:

Jedhead

NRL Player
I am disputing this line

"In all honesty i never saw WB have a single conversation or look remotely engaged with a single member...ever"

That's the one I was responding to. It is definitely possible that Rico didn't see it but it's incorrect to say that he didn't have a single conversation or engage with a single member. What makes me right and others wrong? A quick google image search can prove it. Here you go

Bizinga!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter