Controversial Opinions Thread

It will be QLD's own fault if he doesn't play for you guys. The Titans could've easily secured him if they signed him but they didn't think he was any good and let him go.

That makes no sense B'Man

If the Titans screwed it up, how is it QLD's fault?

It would be the Titans fault

The Titans are a rugby league team based in a QLD city; they are not QLD

Titans are a NSW side based in QLD.

I never knew the Gold Coast city council which controls the region the Titans run is actually in NSW not QLD and that the Tweed shire is in QLD.

You learn something knew each day

Well, maybe there's no paper trail, but I'd like someone to have a go at explaining how it's possible to predict that penalty counts will regularly even up after halftime, for example.

We should also be uncomfortable with the cozy relationship between the NRL, gambling companies, and those who have a vested interest in making sure that the "content" they sell to people is exciting/dramatic.

Bad stuff happens when big money gets involved in sport, because there's a shitload more money to be made from it.

I alluded to the same thing as Morkel in the GF thread, partly due to sour grapes, I'll admit. I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's 100% rigged, but I think there's something going on. Remember Ryan Tandy.

Blue_nods.gif

I've been eluding to this for the past couple of years in in-game threads ... the worst position a team can be in during an NRL game now is ahead at halftime with the penalty count in their favour - that first 15 min after the break is guaranteed to be a living hell.

Last edited:
I'm going to move on to the next part now, and that's how, potentially, refs can influence a game. I wish I had more time up my sleeve to watch some replays and observe if these things actually go on as often (and as accurately) as I recall from watching live, but let's look at it in theory.

To influence momentum in a game, there are two main avenues - penalties and marking the 10 metre defensive line. Penalties are an easy one to explain. Simply look for easy excuses to blow the whistle. You'd be hard presses to catch a ruck that doesn't have some kind of infringement, an unfortunate side-effect of "letting the game flow". So finding a slow defender, hand on the ball, etc, is easy.

I think the 10 metres is just as important though, and is one aspect that is very rarely scrutinised. It also influences the game more in terms of momentum with the ball-in-hand, not just field position. For starters, most tackles & rucks don't just stop at a certain point that the 10 can be ruled off. Everyone is struggling to force dominance, they dance side-to-side, forward and back, collapse in a heap, the player steals an extra metre standing up etc, there is easily a discretionary metre or two in there. And remember, for every extra metre for the "10", it's actually two metres for the defensive line (back & up). Make it 12 metres? It's a huge disadvantage to the defence, it puts them on the immediate back foot as they'll likely still be running back as the ball is played, meaning the runners will be meeting a retreating defensive line. Conversely, set it at 8, and the defence will be ready to sprint off the line before the tackler is even on the ground.

To force the point at how important that 10 metres is, the Storm's wrestling was purely to hold up the ball-player longer so the defence can be set early and be ready to move up off the line fast. Shortening the 10 does the same. And the Roosters are well known for conceding penalties when under pressure defensively (read: with a retreating or staggered defensive line). It shows just how important the mark is for helping & hindering momentum. And like I said, that mark is very, very easy to manipulate.

Get 'em onside ref !!!!

A catch cry I've been hearing since I was a boy.

Maybe not controversial since everyone hates him, but does anyone else feel Josh Reynolds is really insincere when he's talking to the media? It's like he's always trying to say whatever he can to make him look like a good guy and likeable.

Maybe not controversial since everyone hates him, but does anyone else feel Josh Reynolds is really insincere when he's talking to the media? It's like he's always trying to say whatever he can to make him look like a good guy and likeable.

Reynolds, Ennis, Greenberg, it's a grub thing.

I think that the players and commentators saying there is to much footy should just shut up and suck it up. I understand how important a players welfare and health is but these guys are complete professionals playing in a professional era.

Reynolds, Ennis, Greenberg, it's a grub thing.

Or maybe it's just a sport, and their actions on the field aren't a reflection of their over all personalities.

Maybe a player like Ennis knows that he is in a sport with a large peecentage of reactionary thugs with questionable IQs and that they are extremely easy to minuplate because of this, giving himself and his team a competitive advantage.

Or maybe it's just a sport, and their actions on the field aren't a reflection of their over all personalities.

Maybe a player like Ennis knows that he is in a sport with a large peecentage of reactionary thugs with questionable IQs and that they are extremely easy to minuplate because of this, giving himself and his team a competitive advantage.

Reynolds and Ennis are both really different when it comes to their grubbiness. Ennis stirs, Reynolds tries to get the advantage by inflicting unnecessary pain on people. He is a dick.

Reynolds and Ennis are both really different when it comes to their grubbiness. Ennis stirs, Reynolds tries to get the advantage by inflicting unnecessary pain on people. He is a dick.

I agree. Also, I'll take Ennis over Bird, Gallen or any other members of the NSW forearm-to-the-neck/face squad.

It will be QLD's own fault if he doesn't play for you guys. The Titans could've easily secured him if they signed him but they didn't think he was any good and let him go.

What??? How can you blame the Titans they weren't even in the NRL.

Luke was born in Ipswich and lived there for his first 10 years. His family moved to Sydney. He stayed there and became eligable for NSW.

He was born in Queensland and only ever wanted to play for Queensland.

I was happy when Melbourne won the 2012 premiership.

I know, I know, I should 'hate them Melbourne players' but I respect Smith, Slater & Cronk too much and I got sick of all the mocking 'they have zero premierships so they must be shit haw haw' comments doing the rounds.

Plus on a scale of taking peptides and all that shady stuff, lying about the salary cap wasn't as big a deal to me. Yes, they cheated and deserved to have their premierships taken off them and it really makes years like 2007 and 2009 seem pointless now but to an extent they were victims of their own success. No other club was developing talent like the Storm and tbh, I'd rather see them hold onto their talent then see a crap club like the Titans or Knights come along and ruin them.

Was especially happy when they beat the Dogs. They represented everything that sucked about the salary cap.

Couldn't agree more.

As players, Slater, Smith and Cronk didn't deserve what happened to the Storm. They are 3 of the most upstanding and respected players you'll ever see, not to mention 3 of the best we'll probably ever see, and it would've been an absolute tragedy to see them retire without a "legit" premiership to their name.

The sad thing is that I think Thurston will retire without ever taking his team to a premiership (yes I know he got one at the Bulldogs, but it's not the same). Such a shame, and if he had've taken the money from any other number of clubs he'd have probably won a few, but it shows what he's like as a person how he stuck with the Cowboys.

Couldn't agree more.

As players, Slater, Smith and Cronk didn't deserve what happened to the Storm. They are 3 of the most upstanding and respected players you'll ever see, not to mention 3 of the best we'll probably ever see, and it would've been an absolute tragedy to see them retire without a "legit" premiership to their name.

The sad thing is that I think Thurston will retire without ever taking his team to a premiership (yes I know he got one at the Bulldogs, but it's not the same). Such a shame, and if he had've taken the money from any other number of clubs he'd have probably won a few, but it shows what he's like as a person how he stuck with the Cowboys.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Porthoz
  • Skathen
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.