Controversial Opinions Thread

I've been impressed with Te'o. He is a defensive powerhouse in the middle. Not someone who gets through a lot of work, but he smashes the opposition runners. Full of aggression.

I've been impressed with Te'o. He is a defensive powerhouse in the middle. Not someone who gets through a lot of work, but he smashes the opposition runners. Full of aggression.
IMO, he changed the momentum of the Roosters game with pure aggression

Daly Cherry-Evans had an overrated 2014. Bugger, I sat on this one too long as it would have been far more controversial weeks and weeks ago when he was popping up in a few Team of the Year lists but I hate it when great players get a free ride and basically win the positional awards by default. It rarely reflects what actually happened in the season and just comes off as lazy to me. I'm not even insulted by Ben Hunt's omission - Cooper Cronk was my pick but I'd have both ahead of DCE.

Amen sister.

Defamatory

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a huge accusation to throw around.

What's it based on?

Just sour grapes and not getting their own way

A baseless argument with nothing whatsoever to back it up with

Must be open slander season .....

Must be open slander season .....

I'm not really comfortable with it.

I'll give Morkel a chance to explain himself but I don't think accusations of corruption should be thrown around even under the guise of being controversial.

Well, maybe there's no paper trail, but I'd like someone to have a go at explaining how it's possible to predict that penalty counts will regularly even up after halftime, for example.

We should also be uncomfortable with the cozy relationship between the NRL, gambling companies, and those who have a vested interest in making sure that the "content" they sell to people is exciting/dramatic.

Bad stuff happens when big money gets involved in sport, because there's a shitload more money to be made from it.

I alluded to the same thing as Morkel in the GF thread, partly due to sour grapes, I'll admit. I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's 100% rigged, but I think there's something going on. Remember Ryan Tandy.

Fair points gordjw. However, I don't think there's anything productive that can come out of this conversation so for the sake of avoiding libel let's leave it there. :handshake:

Hate to do it but it's in the best interest of the forum.

Luke Keary should be allowed to play for QLD.

Wont be controversial on here but the shitstorm will be immense down south if/when he is given exemption from the new eligibility criteria.

Sorry, I didn't think that what I said could get us in to trouble, as the thread states that it's purely opinion-based, but I can see that if we're cracking down on things like the Storm rorts, then suggesting a systematic NRL-wide conspiracy would be just as dangerous.

How do I defend what I said without saying what I said (and risk another slap)? I'll describe what I've seen I guess. It seemed that many times this year, far more than previous years, that teams who are behind on the scoreboard are able to produce impressive changes of momentum. Teams that haven't even been in the contest are able to put together two or three tries in quick succession, with many games nearing completion with both teams locked up or within a converted try of each other. This is purely an observation, and in fairness could well be a result of (somewhat) cleaner rucks, and better player fitness. Meaning that when slight opportunities are presented, players are fresher to take advantage.

It can be argued that this is very good for the NRL for two reasons. One, is that close games are exciting. They're great for ratings, because viewers don't switch over at half time. But also because close games means that both teams are in the hunt. If your team is doing well, or at least looking competitive, you're more likely to watch the games, to go to the games, to buy the merchandise, and be excited. It also bodes well for the following year - if teams perform better than expected, then when the new season rolls around they're more likely to convert that enthusiasm to memberships etc. And people that are enthusiastic about their team would generally be more inclined to keep well informed about what's going on with their team and the game (which keeps the media dollars churning).

Luke Keary should be allowed to play for QLD.

Wont be controversial on here but the ****storm will be immense down south if/when he is given exemption from the new eligibility criteria.

It will be QLD's own fault if he doesn't play for you guys. The Titans could've easily secured him if they signed him but they didn't think he was any good and let him go.

It will be QLD's own fault if he doesn't play for you guys. The Titans could've easily secured him if they signed him but they didn't think he was any good and let him go.
Please check how eligibility rules work... and since when do the Titans represent Qld?

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.