Controversial Opinions Thread

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
We've all got 'em so now I present to you a thread where you can lay all yours out on the table judgement free.

So let's hear yours - it can be about anything as long as it's related to Rugby League.

Rooting for other teams so your team can mathemetically fall arse backwards into eighth - I hate it.

Broncos need a Tariq Sims, Sam Burgess or JWH.

A good forward that runs hard, tackles hard and plays a little dirty. A forward that has plenty of mongrel and rips in.

We used to have that when we had Tallis..

Last edited:
International Football is a complete waste of time. It is not a global game and any expansion success will come from club competitions and not international competitions. That Australian players have to waste their time playing 4N this year is a joke.

I'm going to go with more general opinions and mostly about things I see in the community...

Scapegoating - It's probably my biggest pet peeve in the game at the moment. It doesn't matter if it's a bench player, a referee or the NRL itself - it seems like any problem in the game is completely their fault and that no conversation can ever escape that vortex of mediocrity. As a Broncos fan, the one that always gets me is that the forwards could be absolutely rolled in the middle of the field, our fifth options could stink and the players can throw all sorts of loose and dusty passes yet somehow Todd Lowrie or Lachlan Maranta who had bugger all to do with the game are the ones getting roasted. Fair enough if you think they're not adding enough but I very rarely hear somebody argue an alternative. It's just this player sucks...speaking of alternatives...

Blooding Rookies - This could be a little tricky to describe because obviously you need new players coming in otherwise the game is going to dry up and die - but I'm sick of the obsession fans seem to have about blooding some player they've probably never seen play the game before all for the sake of change. I believe in player development and blooding players at the right time, not just for the sake of doing it otherwise you end up juggling too many youngsters who just struggle when the going gets tough (eg. Eels 2013, Broncos 2010 etc.) Unless somebody can really make a good case as to why such and such should play and can point to examples of their quality moments I just tune out because to me it's just white noise and people venting.

Bellamy had his pants pulled down by Hasler today and he is all but finished as a coaching force.

I'm going to say the referees aren't as bad as they appear. The commentating is what makes them appear worse than they are.
For eg. The no try to the storm today was correct, yes it is sucky that the ref called 6 to go twice, but once it went upstairs they could go back and see he knocked the ball on. But because Gould and co didn't LIKE it, they painted it poorly.
this is ALWAYS what happens. I'd guess that if instead of commentators putting the point across and we heard the video ref make the decision (like super league & the World Cup coverage) we'd have a lot less hate towards the refs.

i still think they need a lot of work, but it doesn't help when the commentators point out every single flaw, in afl & NFL the commentators generally just go with the refs decision and continue calling the game.

The QLD origin fans are the All Blacks of Rugby League whenever they lose they never accept responsibility for their teams performance and blame it on something else and conspiracys.

The fans I know and speak to are good but some of the stuff I read around origin time is LOLZ big time.

The QLD origin fans are the All Blacks of Rugby League whenever they lose they never accept responsibility for their teams performance and blame it on something else and conspiracys.

The fans I know and speak to are good but some of the stuff I read around origin time is LOLZ big time.

Then maybe don't read what you write

I'm going to say the referees aren't as bad as they appear. The commentating is what makes them appear worse than they are.
For eg. The no try to the storm today was correct, yes it is sucky that the ref called 6 to go twice, but once it went upstairs they could go back and see he knocked the ball on. But because Gould and co didn't LIKE it, they painted it poorly.
this is ALWAYS what happens. I'd guess that if instead of commentators putting the point across and we heard the video ref make the decision (like super league & the World Cup coverage) we'd have a lot less hate towards the refs.

i still think they need a lot of work, but it doesn't help when the commentators point out every single flaw, in afl & NFL the commentators generally just go with the refs decision and continue calling the game.

Yeah that really pissed me off. The media bitch and moan continuously about incorrect decisions, but then they want to have the rules changed or ignored just because something looked good.

The current broncos starting 17 needs a mini clean out . 2 new forwards and two new backs.

I like Jamie Soward as a player and a personality and I always have.

BxaHENVCAAI_RVu.jpg

- Test matches involving the Kangaroos are far and away my favourite rugby league games to watch and support, particularly when they play over in England. I wish this would happen more often.

- The refs are no where near as bad as what everyone makes out. It's a shame they make clear blunders at times but this happens in all sports. They don't stuff up any more than the players do each week.

- The biggest thing I will miss about Hook is his refusal to blast the referees in press conferences. This has been such a breath of fresh air, much like how Lockyer used to deal with the refs so respectfully as captain. I wish every coach would follow his lead as I am sick to death of seeing teams earn hard fought wins only for it to be minimised by the opposition coach and media blasting the refs post-game. This seems to happen every single week with certain coaches.

- Two on-field referees must be retained in future seasons.

Not to take anything away from your opinion because I think it is valid. But I find in this cases that it's really, like most things, a two way street. Some of the stuff I see NSW supporters say baffle my mind, like the whole 17 in a row thing that gets thrown around each year, just like how a lot Qlder's say dumb stuff too. I was embarrassed for my state when that picture of Hodkinson was making the rounds this year.

On the other hand, I'm sure most Qld and NSW supporters are smart enough to see through all that, they are generally just less vocal about it. I wish there was more footy talk around Origin rather then all the slandering and shit that goes on. The reason Origin is so great is because people are so passionate about their states, but there is no need to be moronic in the process.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.