Controversial Opinions Thread

Rapid-fire thoughts on a bunch of controversial BHQ topics.

Entertainment v Quality - Entertainment for me. While I can appreciate good play if the game is just a wrestle-fest with one out play and hail mary cross-field kicks it really doesn't inspire me to continue watching.

Pete, I watched Canberra v Souths 1989 prelim on fox classic matches I think Saturday arvo. Now that was quality footy and all the tackling was first man around the legs, ahhh, that was the game I love. Watching one of those games before a live event really rams home how far the game has drifted in the wrong direction.

Bellamy is only an above average coach who achieved all his "success" from cheating the cap, even the 2012 premiership was dodgy because I don't think they would have had the players they did if they didn't cheat to keep them in the first place.

You're being narrow minded about coaching. You're also just looking at the end product of a Grand Final win. The task of any coach is player development and on that front Bellamy has been outstanding. He went to a club that hadn't made the finals for two years, in foreign territory for league and in his rookie year and started to rebuild a whole club.

Yes something went wrong along the way and you can argue that they should have been without a few players in those years that they won. I certainly agree they should have been stripped of those titles.

But that doesn't take away from the wonderful development of players.

They were under the cap in 2012 and did it the harder way.

Pete, I watched Canberra v Souths 1989 prelim on fox classic matches I think Saturday arvo. Now that was quality footy and all the tackling was first man around the legs, ahhh, that was the game I love. Watching one of those games before a live event really rams home how far the game has drifted in the wrong direction.

Not sure if I caught a highlights package or I was actually watching the full game but weren't the Raiders some team back then?

Like in any sport, once one team learns how to spoil all that they all jump on board. Could argue on the whole you're getting a better quality product but in terms of entertainment it can get pretty boring watching the same one off the ruck wrestle-fest.

Not sure if I caught a highlights package or I was actually watching the full game but weren't the Raiders some team back then?

Like in any sport, once one team learns how to spoil all that they all jump on board. Could argue on the whole you're getting a better quality product but in terms of entertainment it can get pretty boring watching the same one off the ruck wrestle-fest.

Yes, I watch nearly every game every week but often these days I wonder why, it really is a lot of same ol thing. I have enjoyed watching Manly ( scrubs mouth out ) this year if only for the quality of their backline and the Cows because some of their attacking structures are very good. I think Greens understanding on how to move a sliding D around to isolate a player or pull someone out of the line, ( possibly something to do with his touch footy days) is second to none.

Other than that their is an occasional game that I enjoy.

Rapid-fire thoughts on a bunch of controversial BHQ topics.
North Queensland Cowboys - I'm over them. They're well and truly in a premiership window but can't get the job done and cry NSW conspiracy when really they were always making up the numbers regardless. I'm off the bandwagon this year which is good news for them since my support clearly hasn't helped them any.

QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain JT looks back on those comments and thinks they were stupid.

I hate watching the game without the shoulder charge. I miss the big hits.

Wally is a shit commentator.

Last edited:
I was disappointed when we signed both Barba and Milford

I like Brad Fittler as a commentator more than Wally Lewis.

I miss shoulder charges

Sam Thaiday - Is being wasted in the middle, no doubt he's at his best on the right fringe and reckon his performances for Australia and Queensland prove this.

The backrow
- Like Hodges - I like them but in the salary cap era can't afford to keep them all and think we have to cut the weakest link at some point. Whether it's Sam, Gillett or Glenn is yet to be determined.

Andrew McCullough - Brisbane have put a lot of eggs into this basket even though hooker was one position they had plenty of strength in and they've yet to receive much of a return. Hasn't been good enough and if he doesn't improve next season he should be let go.

That's enough for now.

I like these three points.

My opinion is I thought Brad Fittler was a better player than Andrew Johns.

That Ipswich VS Wynnum game on the weekend was the best rugby league game I have seen all year as far as entertainment value.

I don't understand the circle jerk over Oates.

Not seen much to be impressed by

I don't understand the circle jerk over Oates.

Not seen much to be impressed by

Did you see him play last year? This year he was hardly given any time on the field but last year he was unstoppable when he'd get started.

Supercoach hasn't won a finals game in two years and only just scraped into the 8, and that's including a win against the Tigers after the game was meant to be finished.
Bennett didnt win one in 3 years from 2003-2005, lost 5 out of 5. in fact if we lost 7 finals matches in a row from 2002 to 2006.

It's just funny how the Storm are no longer the powerhouse they once were once they've had to be on even terms with everyone else

They won the premiership in 2012....

My controversial opinions....could take a while lol. ill come back and update. to start with though:

- McCullough is a huge part of why we aren't and haven't been a premiership threat.
- Our second rowers are up there with the worst and most ineffective in the league, Parker excluded.
- Our outside backs arent "finishers", and wouldn't make the starting team of many other clubs.

Did you see him play last year? This year he was hardly given any time on the field but last year he was unstoppable when he'd get started.

I'm probably being harsh. Plus I've always drank about 10 beers by the time he gets his 15 mins of game time so probably shouldn't write him off ha.

Bennett didnt win one in 3 years from 2003-2005, lost 5 out of 5. in fact if we lost 7 finals matches in a row from 2002 to 2006.

[/COLOR]They won the premiership in 2012....

My controversial opinions....could take a while lol. ill come back and update. to start with though:

- McCullough is a huge part of why we aren't and haven't been a premiership threat.
- Our second rowers are up there with the worst and most ineffective in the league, Parker excluded.
- Our outside backs arent "finishers", and wouldn't make the starting team of many other clubs.

Waiting with anticipation tbh lol

I don't even know how controversial this is but.....former players in the video box. I have no issue with former players doing the job, but I have a real problem with a former player being involved in a game that his former club is playing in. I know they are supposed to be impartial but if there is even 1 controversial video decision and that player is in the box.....just opens a can of worms imo.

Not sure where it rates on the controversy scale, but I hate people not watching games be it ISC or NYC and then picking or suggesting players from that competition.

I don't mind it so much as it's usually food for thought and an opportunity for avid watchers to discuss those players but I don't like it when they suggest these players and have a go at the coach for not picking them.

It's even worse when they can't spell their names right.

Active Now

• Gympie devil
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • sooticus
  • LittleDavey
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • Maddy
  • barker
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • BrisVegas
  • Battler
  • Strop
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.