-OFFICIAL- Corey Oates signs on for 3 more years

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Player options are pretty irrelevant in the NRL. It's not like in leagues such as the NBA where contracts actually mean something.

In the NRL you can sign a player on a 3 year deal and then part ways after 1, it happens with or without the player options, look at Ryan Matterson for example.
Boyd strongly disagrees.

something

QCup Player
Anyone have an idea on $ ? I’m pretty happy with this signing... apart from this year Corey has always been a weapon

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Boyd strongly disagrees.
I meant in terms of if the player wants out, he will find his way out whether he has player options or not. Bit harder on the club side of things. In the NBA they have things called team options, which is the exact opposite, we should've absolutely had those in the Boyd & Gillett contracts given their injury history.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I meant in terms of if the player wants out, he will find his way out whether he has player options or not. Bit harder on the club side of things. In the NBA they have things called team options, which is the exact opposite, we should've absolutely had those in the Boyd & Gillett contracts given their injury history.
The club shouldn't sign player options. If he's only willing to sign for 1 year, that's all he should get. What's the actual point of a player option? He might activate the clause if it suits him, if it doesn't, we don't keep him, if we don't want him, he can activate it too. We get very little out of it and it screws our salary cap management going forward given we're gambling who will or won't take their option.

I don't like them at all.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
To me, it clearly looks like Fifita wants to test his value on the open market before committing to us. I think he wants to stay here, but he could get some ludicrously large offers elsewhere that will make him change his mind.

K-Style

NRL Player
Incredibly vexed about this one. Of course I'm happy that Corey is sticking around, but he was also surplus to our needs.
I think Oates fits in extremely well with our needs. We need to remember how to get the ball out to him. We need Boyd to remember that he used to provide Oates with great cut out passes. We need Shiba to hold the ball and defend his own position.

We need a real spine. We need a right wing that can defend the try line. We are stacked in the forwards but we need a good back line too.

Out of the current alternatives for his position the only one I'm interested in is Farnworth. I hope we can fit both in the team.

kooly87

NRL Player
Look, honestly this is a pretty positive signing for the club.

In form, he's a pretty devastating Winger. He's obviously coming off a pretty poor season but the same could be said for probably 25/30 of our squad. An improved Broncos attack will see an improved Oates in my opinion.

I also think the guy has taken one for the team over the years, sticking at making it as a Winger despite always being a Backrower and pretty obviously having a passion to return to that position at some point, but he's stuck at the Wing position for the good of the team and in his time he's really made the spot his own and deserves at least a little credit for that loyalty and lack of selfishness.

Given Isaako seems quite likely to be going to Fullback next season, retaining Oates on our other Wing ensures some stability on that edge and means we wont be lumped with Boyd and/or a Rookie(s) on our Wings for an entire season.

The most important thing here is how much this just cost us. as long as the $$$ were realistic for both parties and in line with what a club should be spending on their Wingers, then I think there is plenty of reasons to be pleased with this re-signing.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.