Corey - Yes, man! Or Norman?

Do you rate Corey Norman?

• Total voters
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
A year of Q Cup and he'll be ready. Probably won't happen now - if he's to sign an extended deal I'm sure he'll expect a spot in the 17.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He's got talent, but no heart. Don't want

But you said he wasn't talented. I think lacking ticker and footy smarts would be on the money

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I have a feeling that if he keeps trying to be a 5/8th, he'll pretty much completely be Daniel Mortimer.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I think people are slightly too harsh on Norman. I mean, I know we fell away pretty badly towards the end of 2012, but up until Round 22 we were never outside the top five. And that was with Wallace and Norman in the halves.

Now there are some aspects of his game that need to improve though. At five-eighth he needs to be a bit deeper and get the ball to the backs earlier, but that's an issue for the whole team I reckon. Far too flat in attack last year. For those suggesting a positional switch to centre or backrow.. he'd get annihilated in either position at this point in his career. Personally, I don't really like him at fullback either. Can ball play a bit but isn't urgent enough getting to the ball.

It's an important year for him this year, same with Hoffman I feel.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think people are slightly too harsh on Norman. I mean, I know we fell away pretty badly towards the end of 2012, but up until Round 22 we were never outside the top five. And that was with Wallace and Norman in the halves.

That was pretty much completely thanks to our forward pack though. They were rolling over the top of everything. Then they got injured, and we had nothing.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I think he is a talented young player with plenty of potential but he just can't produce his best for a full season. As ethos said I think people are harsh on him and Wallace as well as we were firing for the 1st half of the season than fell in a heep after Origin which has happened many times in the past.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I'm in the middle. He has plenty of talent, but I personally don't rate him higher than Hunt.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
That was pretty much completely thanks to our forward pack though. They were rolling over the top of everything. Then they got injured, and we had nothing.

Fair point. Old cliche though.. but doesn't the pack have to be rolling forward for the halves (apart from maybe a select few ultra talented folk) to achieve anything?

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Fair point. Old cliche though.. but doesn't the pack have to be rolling forward for the halves (apart from maybe a select few ultra talented folk) to achieve anything?

Yeah, it's certainly one of the most important factors. But towards the end of the season we were usually pretty evenly matched with the opposition forwards, and it was on even ground that Wallace and Norman were exposed. On the other hand, that was around the time when the opposition completely figured out our attacking strategy, so it makes me wonder if Griffin doesn't deserve a lot of this blame for failing to change up the tactics (other than the two games against the Storm and the Doggies).

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Now there are some aspects of his game that need to improve though. At five-eighth he needs to be a bit deeper and get the ball to the backs earlier, but that's an issue for the whole team I reckon. Far too flat in attack last year. For those suggesting a positional switch to centre or backrow.. he'd get annihilated in either position at this point in his career. Personally, I don't really like him at fullback either. Can ball play a bit but isn't urgent enough getting to the ball.

It's an important year for him this year, same with Hoffman I feel.

Really well said .....

and I agree that for now 5/8 is his best position. I think playing alongside a creative half like Prince will do wonders for his game.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
normans best attributes would come to the fore along side prince. cut out the left side right side half 5/8 crap too. prince to first receiver whenever he wants it. norman can position himself according to the situation outside prince with hoffman lurking around as well. lets get rid of the predictability.

we have enough players iwth good ball skills that we should be able to play some pretty good adlib footy along with a few set structured plays. start deep and dont leave the ball carrier without support.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'm more in the middle here but if I had to make a decision it would be on the useless side of things but that's not what I want. I want him to have a killer season and be our next super star.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I want to know if his staying it going before wishing good things for him

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I can't stand another season of seeing norman dummy and go himself when he has unmarked players on his outside

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I can't stand another season of seeing norman dummy and go himself when he has unmarked players on his outside

And absolutely no room to move in front of him. Every fucking time.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
The fact that the coaching staff, you know the people who are professionals at this, rate the kid makes no impact on you naysayers?

It does me

I get it, I really do

I have concerns from my lounge room too

But perhaps the coaching staff see more of him than I do, and perhaps they know more about the game than me

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Alec
  • Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.