Cronk Wins Dally M

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Congrates to Cooper Cronk, he wouldn't have been my pick because I thought he had an ordinary last 3rd for the season after a ridiculously good start.

2013 DALLY M FINAL STANDINGS
1. Cooper Cronk, Melbourne Storm (28 points)
T2. Todd Carney, Cronulla Sharks (26 points)
T2. Daly Cherry-Evans, Manly Sea Eagles (26 points)
T3. Johnathan Thurston, North Queensland Cowboys (26 points)
T5. Jarrod Mullen, Newcastle Knights (20 points)
T5. Cameron Smith, Melbourne Storm (20 points)
T7. John Sutton, South Sydney Rabbitohs (18 points)
T7. Josh Reynolds, Canterbury Bulldogs (18 points)
T7. Luke Walsh, Penrith Panthers (18 points)
T7. James Maloney, Sydney Roosters (18 points)

NRL TEAM OF THE YEAR
Fullback: Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs)
Winger: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Roosters)
Centre: Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles)
Five-Eighth: Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys) and Todd Carney (Sharks)
Halfback: Cooper Cronk (Storm)
Prop: Andrew Fifita (Sharks)
Hooker: Cameron Smith (Storm)
Second Row: Boyd Cordner (Roosters)
Lock: Corey Parker (Broncos)
Coach: Trent Robinson (Roosters)

FULL LIST OF AWARD WINNERS
Provans-Summons Medal: Greg Inglis, Rabbitohs

Rookie of the Year: George Burgess, Rabbitohs

Captain of the Year: Cameron Smith, Storm

Representative Player of the Year: Cameron Smith, QLD Maroons/Kangaroos

NRL Coach of the Year: Trent Robinson, Roosters

Fullback of the Year: Greg Inglis, Rabbitohs

Winger of the Year: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Roosters

Centre of the Year: Jamie Lyon, Sea Eagles

Five-Eighth of the Year: Johnathan Thurston, Cowboys and Todd Carney, Sharks

Halfback of the Year: Cooper Cronk, Melbourne Storm

Prop of the Year: Andrew Fifita, Sharks

Hooker of the Year: Cameron Smith, Storm

Second Rower of the Year: Boyd Cordner, Roosters

Lock of the Year: Corey Parker

Try of the Year: David Nofoaluma, Tigers (R20 vs. Sea Eagles)

I was quite surprised to hear he won it actually.

As you say, he started the year on fire but really tapered off towards the end.

Saying that though, i'm more than happy he won it.

I don't think he was the best player this season and I don't think he deserved to win at all. DCE, Thurston, Carney all ahead of him.

DCE - played in a team with a lot of other good players, so would often lose out to the likes of Stewart, Lyon, Foran
Thurston - suffered by the number of times the Cowboys lost - like it or not, journos give more points to players on the winning team
Carney - he missed a few games through injury didn't he? Plus we have "default vote receiver" Gallen there as well.

Cronk, while he has the likes of Smith and Slater with him, would still always be in the 2 or 3 points when the Storm win. And they won a lot.

I hate awards voted by journalists anyway. Invariably they give it to players on the winning team, and maybe a token standout from the losing team. Back when referees used to vote 3-2-1 there were a lot more losing team players who got votes because from the referee's perspective the end result wasn't all that mattered.

Surprised. Didn't think he was that great.

meh, thought DCE and Thurston were better as halves. plus a few other players.

I'm surprised though that he managed to win, considering he would have had to fight Smith and Slater for votes every week

It would be nice to see someone other than a half/hooker/fullback win the Dally M. when was the last time that actually happened?

he absolutely killed it for probably 75% of the year, so its well deserved. hes been mostly terrible the last month or so though, but still pulled out a few absolutely perfect touches to lay on some points.

id agree with the rest of them, although i dont know how matt scott didnt even get nominated for best prop.

oh and why didnt bennett get coach of the year? ;)

meh, thought DCE and Thurston were better as halves. plus a few other players.

I'm surprised though that he managed to win, considering he would have had to fight Smith and Slater for votes every week

It would be nice to see someone other than a half/hooker/fullback win the Dally M. when was the last time that actually happened?

Gavin Miller - second row - 1989

a good half is often the difference between winning and losing, thats why they win the dally m most of the time.

RTS is a great winger but if he wasn't playing for the minor premiers he would have gone no where near the top.

Same with Cordner too I guess. I'll concede that I hate SBW with a passion, but you can't tell me Cordner was better than him.

Same with Cordner too I guess. I'll concede that I hate SBW with a passion, but you can't tell me Cordner was better than him.

yeah, Cordner over SBW is ridiculous. so is RTS, surely McManus and Simmons were better this year (and I'm not just saying that because they scored tonnes of tries).

RTS had a blinder of a season, cant really argue with his win. hes going to absolutely kill it at fullback next year.

Captain of the Year: Cam Smith. Agreed
Centre of the Year: Jamie Lyon. Agreed
Coach of the Year: Trent Robinson. Agreed
Winger of the Year: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Really? Had a good year but McManus IMO
NYC Player of the Year: Bryce Cartwright.
Rookie of the Year: George Burgess. Agreed
Top Try-Scorer: David Williams, David Simmons and James McManus.
Provan Summons Medal: Greg Inglis.
Prop of the Year: Andrew Fifita. JWH unlucky IMO
Lock of the Year: Corey Parker. Agreed....bias yes, but he had a fantastic year.
Hooker of the Year: Cam Smith. Agreed, J Friend a close 2nd
Rep Player of the Year: Cam Smith. Toss of the coin tbh
Back-Rower of the Year: Boyd Cordner. Good year, but over SBW? I don't think so.
Peter Frilingos Moment of the Year: All four Burgess brothers playing in the same team.
Top point-scorer: James Maloney.
Fullback of the Year: Greg Inglis. Agreed.
Try of the Year: David Nofoaluma.
Halfback of the Year: Cooper Cronk. Agreed but DCE unlucky
Five-Eighth of the Year: Johnathan Thurston & Todd Carney. Perfect result IMO

William Williams didn't show up so they said **** you and gave it to Cordner :loool:

why did they do a tie for 5/8th of the year? those awards arent votes like the actual dally m are they?

Bit surprised too see corn chip get it. I thought that DCE, SBW or GI would've had a far better chance. Cronk was Big Leagues player of the year as well btw.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wendall Taylor
  • FACTHUNT
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.