Dallas Johnson

mick! said:
[quote="Frank the Tank":1p8a2xjf]Tonie Carrol is better than Dallas Johnson in the same way a lump of pooh is better than a lump of gold - it's just not.

1. That's absolute BS.

2. TC is more of a tank than Johnson. I'm seeing through this act [icon_wink[/quote:1p8a2xjf]

But Johnson will be playing NRL next season whereas TC won't he will be retired. I'm happy with our forward talent at the moment and there seem to be a couple in under 20's with potential to, but if Johnson was there for the right price he would be worth an inquiry.

I don't think Johnson is THAT good. Pretty much equivalent to Stagg IMO.

Johnson - Fantastic in defense, adds nothing in attack
Stagg - Slightly worse than Johnson in defense, adds a bit more in attack.

Meh, I'd rather get Cam Smith, who is probably just as good in defense as Johnson.

Frank the Tank said:
[quote="mick!":pz6p22xb]
2. TC is more of a tank than Johnson. I'm seeing through this act [icon_wink]
He is and he isn't - Yes Carroll is bigger, but Johnson can take far more punishment than Carroll can these days, and he just keeps getting up and going back for more. I love Tonie Carroll, been one of the best Broncos in the clubs history IMO, but he cant match it with Johnson these days.[/quote:pz6p22xb]

IMO tunza still hits and tackles harder than Johnson, but that doesn't matter cause Tunza will be gone before we will have a chance to bring Johnson here.

I agree with Alec to some extent, to me he is like a slightly better version of Stagg. That said he would still be a good addition to the team but we should wait to see how our own players go before we look at signing somebody from outside the club. Eastwood is an ideal replacement for Tunza next season and onwards...fair enough he needs work on his fitness a bit, but he has the potential to fill the No. 13 boots very nicely. Other than Eastwood there are other options such as Moon that could be looked at.

And TBH I'm not entirely convinced we should buy Folau either. Give him another season before we splash out 300k on him.

Well we are comparing both players with how they're playing at the moment, not when their careers will end! At the moment I'd still go for Tunza before Johnson.

Alec said:

Meh, I'd rather get Cam Smith, who is probably just as good in defense as Johnson.

I actually think stagg is better, but johnson played in a premiership winning team so he gets rep honours. TC SHITS ALL OVER JOHNSON ANY DAY OF YEAR. Mate, ask any opposition player who they would rather one at with the ball, dallas or johnson? Havn't seen johnson pull off much bell ringers. Sure he tackles alot, They don't seem to hurt anyone so they just run at him more and more thus he must tackle more. TC on the other hand has put people running full speed flat on their back so many times that they would rather not run at him anymore and that's why he does not tackle as much.

Scenario : broncos 40m out lockyer passes the ball and puts carrol through a hole with only the fullback to beat one on one to score a try. TC would smash the fullback one on one and score 9 times out of 10. Put johnson in the same situation i reckon Preston campbell would stop him dead in his tracks.

kimlo said:
Alec said:

I actually think stagg is better, but johnson played in a premiership winning team so he gets rep honours. TC SHITS ALL OVER JOHNSON ANY DAY OF YEAR. Mate, ask any opposition player who they would rather one at with the ball, dallas or johnson? Havn't seen johnson pull off much bell ringers. Sure he tackles alot, They don't seem to hurt anyone so they just run at him more and more thus he must tackle more. TC on the other hand has put people running full speed flat on their back so many times that they would rather not run at him anymore and that's why he does not tackle as much.

Scenario : broncos 40m out lockyer passes the ball and puts carrol through a hole with only the fullback to beat one on one to score a try. TC would smash the fullback one on one and score 9 times out of 10. Put johnson in the same situation i reckon Preston campbell would stop him dead in his tracks.

You mean TC or Johnson? eusa_think

I've seen Johnson pull off plenty of bell-ringers and they get bigger when he's playing Origin. Remember Brett White? Bleeding nose in his first hit up ever in State of Origin thanks to Johnson.

However the fact that TC is so dangerous with the ball as well swings me towards the fact that he is a far superior ball-runner and player. Out wide, TC can be very dangerous having played in the centres for a period of time in his career so he knows what it takes in creating the gaps and overlaps out wide for his wingers.

SimplyBronco said:
kimlo said:
Alec said:

I've seen Johnson pull off plenty of bell-ringers and they get bigger when he's playing Origin. Remember Brett White? Bleeding nose in his first hit up ever in State of Origin thanks to Johnson.

That wasn't Johnson who made his nose bleed, it was infact Tonie Carrol's swinging arm right on the button, loved it. :mrgreen:

Well actually speak about origin, The bret white hit was actually carrol, Johnson can't hit that hard. Watch it again, definitely carrol that knocked brett white. Game 3 another example Johnson and carrol went in for first tackle again, carrol tackled him and so did johnson but johnson got knocked out for 30 minutes HAHAHA speak about toughness. The only bell ringers Johnson has pulled off are on his own head.

True that.

However I don't think TC would've given the nose bleed had Johnson not went in low to take the impact first. Both tough nuts and he's made several other big hits with men twice his size in regular first-grade games last year as well.

Well i personally haven't seen him pull off one big shot.

Well seen em or not, I've seen about as much melbourne games as i have bulldogs game, yet I've seen atleast 5 or 6 big shots by SBW, yet haven't seen any by johnson yet. How many games I've seen does not matter as what i don't know will not change my opinion. Remember this is only my opinion.

Then perhaps the word that sums up your attitude can be ignorant. Misinformed opinion at the very least but I'm not saying it's incorrect.

SBW is known to just aim with deliberately aiming at giving shoulder charges. A lot less effective than Johnson in my opinion.

SimplyBronco said:
Then perhaps the word that sums up your attitude can be ignorant. Misinformed opinion at the very least but I'm not saying it's incorrect.

SBW is known to just aim with deliberately aiming at giving shoulder charges. A lot less effective than Johnson in my opinion.

Exactly right. There is no skill to what SBW does in his tackles. Johnson on the other hand actually tackles, none of this shoulder barging junk.

I did not state anything about anyone being a better player then anyone right there. All i said was I have seen more bell ringing tackles from SBW, whether this is more or less effective, it does not change the fact SBW can pull off more hard hits. The argument was never who can tackle better it was who can hit harder and pull off more bell ringers. Again, I don't care if my opinion is correct or incorrect, opinion is opinion irelavent whether it's right or wrong. Just my opinion If you don't agree thats your choice, I'm just saying what i think of the gentleman. I don't have foxtel so I don't watch every game every week.

Then again, any team on any day SBW would be selected over Johnson.

kimlo said:
I did not state anything about anyone being a better player then anyone right there. All i said was I have seen more bell ringing tackles from SBW, whether this is more or less effective, it does not change the fact SBW can pull off more hard hits. The argument was never who can tackle better it was who can hit harder and pull off more bell ringers. Again, I don't care if my opinion is correct or incorrect, opinion is opinion irelavent whether it's right or wrong. Just my opinion If you don't agree thats your choice, I'm just saying what i think of the gentleman. I don't have foxtel so I don't watch every game every week.

Mate, stop getting so defensive. What we are all having here is a conversation about two players. No one said your opinion was wrong, no one said our opinion was right.

I'm pointing out from the games I've seen, what I have noticed. SBW doesn't tackle, he charges, and knocks people over. That is not a tackle, it's a shoulder charge.

Both shoulder charge and tackles are very effective weapons when you are good at them, however, I have seen SBW miss quite a few, simply because he's got to the point where he's so predictable, even a forward can drift slightly to one side of him, and he is too big and fast to stop and change direction in time.

kimlo said:

Then again, any team on any day SBW would be selected over Johnson.

Then I'm not sure what you're exactly trying to get at with the original topic.. eusa_think Getting all technical about your line of argument with this blabber still has no relevance as to the topic of debate. Comparing Sonny Bill with Dallas Johnson is like comparing Hindmarsh with Tonie Carroll. Two completely different players when it comes to styles, I was simply chiming in the fact that I would prefer Johnson simply for his effectiveness.

Relax.

I also doubt SBW would be selected over Johnson. There are far better back-rowers in the game who are as effective in defense and attack, if not better. Johnson is there for the workload much like Hindmarsh does in games and serve for a completely different purpose in the game.

SimplyBronco said:
Then I'm not sure what you're exactly trying to get at with the original topic.. eusa_think Getting all technical about your line of argument with this blabber still has no relevance as to the topic of debate. Comparing Sonny Bill with Dallas Johnson is like comparing Hindmarsh with Tonie Carroll. Two completely different players when it comes to styles, I was simply chiming in the fact that I would prefer Johnson simply for his effectiveness.

Relax.

I never compared SBW to Johnson to start with. I used SBW as an example not as a comparison of the more effective player. Then you said you would rather johnson when i never really mentioned anything about who I would prefer. I merely stated SBW pulls off more bell ringers as an example. I would prefer SBW in my team but this debate is not about that, Tonnie carroll is a better player than johnson IMHO. It's just that your stating clear errors of fact "I've seen Johnson pull off plenty of bell-ringers and they get bigger when he's playing Origin. Remember Brett White? Bleeding nose in his first hit up ever in State of Origin thanks to Johnson." When it was not johnson, but anyhow he is a good player none the less.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • bazza
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Battler
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.