Dally M Thread

The only reason Hayne got it is because he was the only (established) play maker in a winning team. Had he a dominant hooker/half with him he wouldn't have won as many MOTM awards.

Not saying he hasn't been in outstanding form, just saying he wouldn't have necessarily dominated games as much as if he'd had a decent play maker along side him.

Dugan or Mortimer or Winterstein should've got Rookie of the year. Was McCullough nominated? He only played 3 games last year didn't he?

Yeah that's exactly what Rock and I are saying. Basically any award where it's just a case of being awarded a 3-2-1 vote is never going to be a true indicator of the best/most consistent player all season.

To really do that you'd need to rate every player in every game and somehow tally and average out points. A bit like RLW does with their ratings out of 10 but actually put a bit of criteria behind it rather than their usual "if you're average you get 6, if you're crap or don't get much game time you get 4 and great you get 8, with the odd 9 or 10".

I agree with Idris getting ROTY. I'm a big fan of Dugan and Winterstein, but I didn't see any of them tear games apart like Idris did at the beginning of the season. I remember watching a lot of games and just shaking my head thinking 'this kid is a beast'.

Yeah but then he got injured and he hasn't performed nearly as well since he came back.

Winterstein and Dugan have performed consistently well all year.

Reminds me a bit of 2006 where Darius Boyd and Greg Eastwood were both nominated for rookie of the year, played really strongly all year, but were pipped by Jarryd Hayne just because he was more "exciting".

mrslong said:
Dugan or Mortimer or Winterstein should've got Rookie of the year. Was McCullough nominated? He only played 3 games last year didn't he?
No way Mortimer should have gotten rookie of the year. Next year I'd say he might, but he simply didn't play enough games this year to even be considered imo. Pretty sure his first game was against us wasn't it? Nowhere near enough games to be considered rookie of the year.

Dugan certainly had a case, if you ask me he has probably edged Idris as far as consistency goes, but I can't complain too much with Idris getting the nod. His form before he got injured was far more devastating than anything Dugan has produced thus far, regardless of him not playing to the same standard since he got injured. Having said that though, I have a feeling that Dugan will have a more consistent career than Idris in the long run. Dugan is certainly something very, very special.

I don't agree re: Hayne.

I hate him as much as the next bloke, but he stood up when he needed to, and got his team in the finals. Without him, the Eels would be up the creek, and resting up for the rest of the year already.

In the Dally M system, after the top 3 players in a match, there's no difference between between the 4th best and the worst. So Hayne could have been the worst player on the field in his first 16 or so matches, and still won the award. Seems kinda stupid to me.

Ok fair enough, at least Locky has won 3 Golden Boots though! How do they get awarded?

It sh*ts me to tears that Locky has never polled well in the Dally M's and that (&*(^*^*^*% Johns won 3. I still honestly believe he is not fit to lace Locky's boots.

Lockyer won the Golden Boot only twice. 2003 and 2006. Only the 2nd player ever to win it twice.

2006 was the year where everything he touched turned into gold.

Coxy said:
Lockyer won the Golden Boot only twice. 2003 and 2006. Only the 2nd player ever to win it twice.

And was deadset robbed the year they decided to give it to Andy Farrell as some kind of merit award. And then he proved it in the Trinations final by producing one of the finest halves of football in test history.

Hayne will probably get the golden boot anyway - unless the Dragons win the GF.

I thought Locky was better in 05 bar the end of the season than 04. My memory aint the best for 04/05 though. Very un-bronco-ish couple of years IMO. A struggly Seymour and Stu Kelly. Argh.

I do recall commenting at the time that Soward's missus looked an awful lot like him, I just assumed it was his sister until I read otherwise...

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mrtij
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tim K
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • cento
  • Broncojim
  • Astro
  • Manlyman
  • broncs30
  • Redux
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.