Dane Gagai re-signs with Newcastle

Re: Dane Gagai resigns with Newcastle

I can't remember the last time Reed had a stand out game. Please tell me we don't have to watch him for the next 5 years lol

Re: Dane Gagai resigns with Newcastle

Does that mean Copley or Reed was likely to get the center spot over him?

Not sure about Reed.

Copley or Kahu would have been preferred at left centre.

That's if the Broncos were able to re-sign Kahu.

Re-signing Kahu & Copley has to be top priority now.

Have fun getting beaten by the Sharks for the next 2 years Dane lol ...Looks like Newcastle are back to their old ways.

To use cricket parlance, not a bad toss to lose ... IMO the Broncos have a number of players on the rise who're going to be well worth re-signing when their current contracts are up ... would be a shame to sacrifice one or more of them for Gagai - who himself is short of being a finished product as an outside back.

Bottom line, if Bennett really wanted him here he'd have got him... Clearly he can live without him at the Broncos so I'm not going to argue with that.

I still think we need to look for an outside back for next year to eventually take over Hodges in that right centre role, or to play on the wing if Kahu and Copley get gigs in the centres. Honestly, I don't think Vidot is a long term-option for the club, he is far too slow and has too many flaws in his game! Sure, he makes metres like a machine, but we can do better. Oates is a long-term option, but I can see him moving into the backrow within the next few seasons. I really rate Oates, he is a solid defender, decent under the high-ball, fairly quick for his height and weight and is a strong ball-runner - but he is a backrower. Maranta has been solid so far this season, but I see him as a depth player, I think we should still resign him. Here are a few players I think we should chase since Gagai has resigned with the Knights:

George Jennings
Dallin Watene Zelezniak
Glen Fisiiahi
Jake Mamo
Daniel Tupou

Not really sure who else....but this backline looks pretty slick:

1. Boyd
2. Maranta/Drew
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Jennings ect
6. Milford
7. Hunt

Last edited:
Not going to lose any sleep over this news. I don't rate gagai as highly as it seems most here do. I think Kahu has the potential to be a better and more well rounded player.

I still think we need to look for an outside back for next year to eventually take over Hodges in that right centre role, or to play on the wing if Kahu and Copley get gigs in the centres. Honestly, I don't think Vidot is a long term-option for the club, he is far too slow and has too many flaws in his game! Sure, he makes metres like a machine, but we can do better. Oates is a long-term option, but I can see him moving into the backrow within the next few seasons. I really rate Oates, he is a solid defender, decent under the high-ball, fairly quick for his height and weight and is a strong ball-runner - but he is a backrower. Maranta has been solid so far this season, but I see him as a depth player, I think we should still resign him. Here are a few players I think we should chase since Gagai has resigned with the Knights:

George Jennings
Dallin Watene Zelezniak
Glen Fisiiahi
Jake Mamo
Daniel Tupou

Not really sure who else....but this backline looks pretty slick:

1. Boyd
2. Maranta/Drew
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Jennings ect
6. Milford
7. Hunt

G Jennings !!!!!

I've never forgiven the fish for that u20s mistake, but realistically Jennings would be the cheapest/best prospect of those you've named.

Only a two year deal eh? How long is Hodgo going around for again?

This is really disappointing i was very keen on Gagai. Our centers are Hodges, Copley, Kahu, Reed. Hodges being near retirement that leaves us with a Copley and Kahu pairing with Reed as back up its not terrible, but that then leaves us with Vidot, Maranta and Oates as wingers. Oates to move to backrow, Maranta is boring and Vidot cant finish or catch high balls.

1 Boyd
2 Kahu
3 Copley
4 Hodges
5 Maranta

I think it is important your back 3 can all catch. So safety first, this side is prob the best on paper. I don't want Kahu to play center as he can catch a ball and Copley cant. That leaves Maranta who is safe but boring. I would be happy to look at these options as a replacement for Maranta. Please wayne some speed would be nice :)

Reece Robinson / Average kicker
Jake Mamo / Speed machine
Jason Nightingale / Mr consistent
Daniel Tupou / Great Finisher
Tim Simona / Injury prone
Glen Fisiiahi / Injury Prone
Kalifa FaiFai Loa / Not very consistent
James Roberts / Excitement Machine
Eto Nabuli / Untested

Let's look to our U20s for a winger before we go out laying money on buying one

Let's look to our U20s for a winger before we go out laying money on buying one

I agree. There is no point spending massive money on a winger from elsewhere before we look at our 20's.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Painin the Haas
  • Kev_Guz
  • Manlyman
  • Turks85
  • Fitzy
  • marw
  • Griffo
  • Jazza
  • Porthoz
  • Dash
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Redux
  • Justwin
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.