Dane Gagai re-signs with Newcastle

Re: [Rumour] Dane Gagai to Brisbane

I don't want Gagai back.

He was/is still getting into trouble. (I know was it January of this year)

Error Page

Yep, it was Hamilton who works out of Newcastle ABC. Bennett seems to have a bit of time for him.

Probably because Craig Hamilton doesn't ask inane questions, like all the other journalists.

Probably because Craig Hamilton doesn't ask inane questions, like all the other journalists.

It's kind of weird, and I'm not being arrogant when I say this, but coming back to the Broncos would seem to me to be rewarding him despite the bad behaviour. For a coach to hand-pick a player and bring them to another club with them, that's a huge show of support. You'd have to think that if Bennett does bring him, that he has full trust in him.

I'd take him back as a direct replacement for Hodges when he retires. Until then I can't see how we fit him into our team.

This and his defence needs a lot of work.

We won't sign him for next year.

Hodges will retire after next season, we'll sign Gagai once he's off-contract for 2016.

For a coach to hand-pick a player and bring them to another club with them, that's a huge show of support.

Because WB has brainwashed them to follow their cult leader. :tape: :laugh:

Hell yeah, I'd take him.

he's coming back. Whether 2015 or 2016, doesn't matter. What matters is -- quick, classy 3/4s -this is what we need. Along with tall backrowers. Steve Renouf's defense was terrible crica 1994/5. We got bundled out of the 1994 finals because of Renouf. WB said, at the time, it was a necessary down payment. WB had him tackling forwards in long jump sandpits for over two years. WB's "down payment" was proven correct. And so again it shall be.

I can see us signing him in 2016 and Hodgeo retiring next year. It works very well.

Funnily enough, this is exactly what happened in my career on RLL2. Hodges wanted to kick on passed age 35, I signed Gagai and Hodgeo went to the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

Don't want him next year, year after maybe but he better improve.

welcome back to Red Hill's Got Talent and it's a 'yes' from me ....

Re: [Rumour] Dane Gagai to Brisbane in 2016

DANE Gagai wants to return to the Broncos, the club that sacked him two years ago, and will start negotiations with Brisbane over the summer.

Gagai is set to be the first example of Bennett’s pull, as the explosive back has told close friends he wants to play under Bennett for the rest of his career.

Gagai will be a major threat to the Broncos when the surging Knights attempt to end Brisbane’s finals hopes on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.

He has been in sensational form as the Knights continue to shock teams ranked above them.

Newcastle made a formal offer to extend Gagai in June but he decided to sit on it.

He will now test his value on the open market with Brisbane favoured to sign him.

The star centre is off-contract at the end of next year and it is understood he wants to follow Bennett back to Brisbane for the 2016 season.

Gagai was sacked by Broncos coach Anthony Griffin two years ago following a string of minor disciplinary issues such as wearing the wrong attire and arriving late to team meetings.

Now Bennett is replacing Griffin, he can return to the club he debuted for in 2011.

Gagai’s management company GS Sports has not spoken with Bennett recently but incoming Knights coach Rick Stone contacted them on the weekend to ensure they knew he wanted Gagai long-term.

Gagai has nothing against incoming coach Stone but simply credits Bennett with shaping him into a professional footballer and wants to continue his development under him.

There could yet be a push from Gagai to move north as early as next year but Newcastle would block any poaching attempt.

Bennett emphatically denied Gagai would break contract to join him at the Broncos next season.

“He’s under contract here for another year,” Bennett told ABC Radio on Sunday.

Gagai moved to Newcastle to play underneath Bennett midway through the 2012 season, rejecting interest from the Queensland Reds and Gold Coast Titans.

Gagai, 23, is close with Bronco Josh Hoffman, after the pair grew up in Mackay.

The duo have repeatedly spoken about a desire to combine in an NRL backline one day.

“I’d like to enjoy playing with him again, we always said we’d love to play (first-grade) with each other,” Hoffman said earlier this year.

“His brother Jacob is coming through the under-20s ranks so it would be good if we could get Dane back here — it would be like the old times back in Mackay.”

Of course, Hoffman is part of a swelling Broncos backline that could feature Darius Boyd next season.

Gagai would likely begin life as a winger at the Broncos but Justin Hodges, who remains Brisbane’s best attacking threat outside of Ben Hunt, is off-contract at the end of 2016.

If Hodges decided to retire at that point; Gagai would become his right centre replacement.

Source:Error Page

I would take him as a replacement for Hodgo when he retires which I expect will be next year. Gagai has plenty of potential and showed promise with us before he got himself sacked.

Backline for 2016 and beyond

1: Milford
2: Vidot
3: Copley
4: Gagai
5: Hoffman
6: Barba
7: Hunt

Bring it on (Boyd would be a dud signing)

If Hoffman is a key part in Gagai coming back I can't see it happening, Hoff won't stay here on the wing IMO.

Hopefully he just wants to play under WB and that's enough to bring him back

Of course Gagai wants to come back now Bennett is here. Bennett isn't huge on off field discipline so Gagai will be able to do what he wants.

Of course Gagai wants to come back now Bennett is here. Bennett isn't huge on off field discipline so Gagai will be able to do what he wants.

That's not true, he is very strict from big things right down to demands on hair cuts and no thongs being worn at videos.

We could go from having the slowest back line I've ever seen to a team who can finally score from outside the opposition 50. I'm a little excited.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • cento
  • Alec
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Pablo
  • Porthoz
  • heartly87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.