Darius Boyd poised to finish his career with Brisbane

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
DARIUS Boyd will finish his career at the Broncos with the Brisbane skipper to receive a $3.5 million payday — the biggest contract of his glittering NRL career.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Broncos chief executive Paul White is in the final stages of broking a four-year deal to keep the off-contract Boyd at Red Hill until the end of 2021.

White will meet with Boyd’s manager George Mimis in Sydney tomorrow with a view to finalising the multi-million dollar upgrade after Friday night’s clash against Parramatta at ANZ Stadium.

The Broncos plan to formally announce the deal in the next two to three weeks.

Brisbane have signed eight top-liners in four months, eroding their spending power under the salary-cap, but coach Wayne Bennett last night confirmed they have the funds to make Boyd a Bronco for life.

“We won’t be losing Darius,” Bennett said.

“Paul White is handling the negotiations more than I am but it’s all good. The deal will be done.

“Darius will finish his career here. He never wanted to leave the Broncos in the first place, it was never his doing — he was told he wasn’t wanted.

“But he’s wanted now and Darius will be staying here.”

Bennett famously had to issue Boyd a lifeline to join him at the Dragons in 2009 after the then Broncos rookie was not offered a contract extension by Brisbane’s former hierarchy.

Now Bennett is presiding over the biggest deal of Boyd’s career. The Broncos skipper will pocket almost $900,000-a-season, making him Brisbane’s second highest-paid player behind $1 million man Anthony Milford.

Just turned 30, Boyd had opportunities to head elsewhere but chose to stay loyal in his mission to be the captain that breaks Brisbane’s 11-year premiership drought.

The new deal will give the Maroons Origin ace the chance to play more than 350 NRL matches and join Brisbane’s elite 200-game club.

“I’m not going anywhere which is good,” said Boyd, a veteran of 260 top-grade games.

“I never wanted to leave in the first place and now that I’m back I won’t be leaving, that’s for sure.

“I love this club, I can’t wait to finish my career here.

“It’s been my favourite club since I was a six-year-old boy. I used to yell at the TV when they would lose.

“To be captain of the club now ... I still don’t feel it’s quite real but hopefully we can win the comp while I’m here.”

In a further boost for Boyd, the classy custodian trained strongly yesterday and is expected to return from a broken thumb against the Eels.

“As long as I get through (tomorrow), then I’ll play,” he said.

“The doctors have given me the all-clear so now it’s just having the confidence to pass and do some tackling with it.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1f6d798c574584f8b39b0200b6acfe60

He shouldn't get that much honestly, he is only getting it because of Bennett. He should be getting more like 600-700k.

I'm confused ... this article says Boyd would be the second highest paid Bronco next year on 900k ... but there have been plenty of other articl es suggesting Bird would be on a million ...

Now either these journos suck at maths or they have NFI

Yea I agree he's more than Bird, but we are paying overs for Bird anyway. It seems we aren't being smart with our money thus far. It's like the club is hoping the salary cap will go up dramatically.

For me he's worth 750000 a year especially as may need to go to centre in 2 years as he slows or need a convenient medical retirement in 3 years. But cap may increase and lower nominal value. Where else is he going to go with his adopted dad coaching, family and friends here? He isn't due a loyalty bonus from the club like Civo was as he left for so long. Would prefer to put Milford at fullback, KNik at 6 and buy ash Taylor for 7 with that kind of money especially as he should be red hot for tpas.... but who knows what real offer is?

Should say 750000 for 3 years four is gravy.

Last edited:
Surely boyds contract includes tpas excluded out the cap

Surely that's a gee-up. Has to be!

Now Boyd is finishing his career with Broncos now all we need is James Roberts to do the same lol

Bargain. He is the brains and leader of our team. We need him to be genuine title threats.

Even if the figure is accurate we have no idea of the breakdown

If Boyd plays his last year he will be in his 7th and eligible for some /all of the Long Serving Player Allowance.

Payments Outside the Cap

Long Serving Player Allowance ($300K) per Club for eligible players who have played more than six continuous years of grade football with that club.

What players can earn outside the salary cap:
$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved

I think that might need updating... $20,000 cars. Are we going to see the top 5 players of every club cruising around in Swifts?

I think that might need updating... $20,000 cars. Are we going to see the top 5 players of every club cruising around in Swifts?

Good point! But might be leases for lower tier players commodores? In a few years will only get you a Great Wall ute...

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Payneinthehaas
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.