Darius Boyd poised to finish his career with Brisbane

I think that might need updating... $20,000 cars. Are we going to see the top 5 players of every club cruising around in Swifts?
$20,000 a year gets you a lot better than a Swift.

I think that might need updating... $20,000 cars. Are we going to see the top 5 players of every club cruising around in Swifts?

This is the NRL we are talking about, they don't even know what the salary cap will be in three months time. They probably still think everyone should play for beer and factory second pies.

He shouldn't get that much honestly, he is only getting it because of Bennett. He should be getting more like 600-700k.

Your kidding aren't you ? A rep fullback and captain!!!

Jesus I would've thought we could get Boyd on unders to resign some more of our youth. This is bad news but losing Boyd all together is even worse news.

To be honest I think it is way way too much. Yes, I know he's all the things we love but 4 years is a year or two too long. 500 k a season is plenty. It's only my opinion and I'm not dirty on Boyd or disappointed in any way but I think the Broncos should spend less on the top end. I myself would not have approved spending a million on Milford nor 875 k a season on Boyd, good as they are. I don't know how giving one half 10 times more than the other breeds unity. I know that's an isolated example but this team will have too broad a pay base.

My team would have more money spent on top quality forwards. No guy wants to get his teeth knocked down his throat for pennies while the others get the glory AND the big cash....but he'll keep turning up to put you in position to win games if he's paid accordingly. Just my view.

Kahu has said he will play rugby in the future we let him go now since thats the case and give a youngster a run next year

maybe you should read the article instead of just the headline ... that headline was massively spun to get a reaction.

he talks about going back to union once he has retired from league.

Boyd's worth every penny of 900k. He is one of our most consistent players and our leader. He is also a valuable spine member in the team. You pay for talent and Boyd is talent. I don't think any other NRL side would blink at paying him 900k a year for his services.

He shouldn't get that much honestly, he is only getting it because of Bennett. He should be getting more like 600-700k.

So he shouldn't be getting any more than Ponga?
The cap went up bud, players salaries were going to match the increase as well and this does

Are we also just blindly assuming the media know exactly how much Boyd is on???

I'm thinking this is all spun from the article months ago that broncos were offering him $1m a season

Are we also just blindly assuming the media know exactly how much Boyd is on???

I'm thinking this is all spun from the article months ago that broncos were offering him $1m a season

the media know sweet **** all about player salaries ...

2 months ago before Milford re-signed they said Bird would be getting 1 million a season since then, they claimed that Milford would be the clubs first million dollar player, and 10 minutes ago they said Boyd would be the second highest paid player on 900k.

as i said before, either they really suck at maths or know SFA about player salaries and are just making shit up to sell papers

The truth is, Boyd is probably on closer to 500 or 600k under the cap, not that I know either, but the media always inflate the figures, and with long service allowance, TPAs, etc he'll have a fair bit not directly on the cap. He's the Brisbane Broncos' captain, he's immediately sponsor-worthy.

The truth is, Boyd is probably on closer to 500 or 600k under the cap, not that I know either, but the media always inflate the figures, and with long service allowance, TPAs, etc he'll have a fair bit not directly on the cap. He's the Brisbane Broncos' captain, he's immediately sponsor-worthy.
Yeah I'd say his total salary will be much higher than what's under the cap, but there is no way we will ever know. The only ones in the know are the clubs and the NRL salary cap team.

Boyd remains the only player to have won a grand final for the broncos, a state of origin, and a test. He is the most consistent player in the team, a player every other looks to for leadership, and one who remains at the top of his game. He may decline in the next two years, but it hasn't happened yet and there is one thing he has that will never go away: experience. He has experienced life at the summits of his successes to the pits of despair and everything in between. You can't buy what he has and you can't teach it. You can however learn from the wisdoms ingrained from it and share it with others.
For that I would pay a lot.

I'd say there would be a succession plan in place for Boyd, which will likely be a transition to the centers in about 2-3 years when Allan comes of age... but for now we 100% need Boyd at the back for the broncos and any thought otherwise is a bit ridiculous

Active Now

• Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Payneinthehaas
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.