Darius Boyd told he won’t play round one, Jack Bird cut loose in Broncos upheaval

According to Chris Garry, Matt Gillett was also put on notice today, said he believes Gillett may transition in to a bench role next year.

Also, in regards to the captaincy, he said Matt Lodge is the natural leader and the one that the players would want to be captain, but he'd be a PR disaster and it's unlikely. Captaincy could go to a "big name" player we bring in from outside the club.

When are the club going to learn that the media will make everything a PR disaster so stop fucking caring about it.

I can tell you right now that if we don't make Lodge captain and the media run out of obvious pot shots the talk will turn to "Why isn't Lodge captain?" "He is the natural leader so if he truly is reformed why didn't the make him captain? This tells me he still has issues the club is trying to hide"; followed up the next day with a Danny Weidler exclusive about how he death stared a cat or some bullshit.

we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater yet. remember this is dobbo and he is a jibberer. For all we know he just got his words mixed up and if you have heard him talk that happens alot.

Thats what im going with any way.... gotta stat positive i guess

I hope you're right. Joe's really been in a significant dry spell for a while now though. When was the last time he gave us any real 'inside mail'? I will quickly apologise and give myself an uppercut if I am wrong, but at the moment, I feel Joe is no more than a mouthpiece for the club feeding us BS/propaganda to try and douse the flames whilst fan memberships hang in the balance. The club is hoping that over a long off-season, us fans forget and it just all blows over and come next season, the usual protected species will be in their usual protected positions in the team. Let's see what eventuates over the next little while.

Wait, I thought Smokin Joe was adamant there would be "significant changes" and these would "happen quickly". Also, didn't he claim earlier this year Boyd and Macca had been spoken to and their futures were 'sorted'?

Looks like the same old shit next year and the same propaganda being fed to fans, such as to us here on BHQ, by 'those in the know'. Come on Joe, cut the crap, otherwise your legacy here will be looking more and more like DarryB at the broncos.

Take a breath mate.

For a start @Smokin' Joe doesn't have to tell us anything. Secondly whether or not they have been moved on we cannot know but a club is never going to outright dump them 4 days after the season has finished. The most likely scenario is they have told them they aren't playing first grade here next year and to look at their options. Obviously the hope is they can find another club and that way they take some of their salary. The club would really shoot themselves in the foot by saying to the media and all the other clubs "We don't want this trash but please pay top dollar for it".

Take a breath mate.

For a start @Smokin' Joe doesn't have to tell us anything. Secondly whether or not they have been moved on we cannot know but a club is never going to outright dump them 4 days after the season has finished. The most likely scenario is they have told them they aren't playing first grade here next year and to look at their options. Obviously the hope is they can find another club and that way they take some of their salary. The club would really shoot themselves in the foot by saying to the media and all the other clubs "We don't want this trash but please pay top dollar for it".

Fair enough mate, I am just very dubious at the moment and wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of this club or most people associated with it. They are a burning wreck and will try anything to save face. As a member, I want to see actions, not empty words and promises.

Last edited:
From what I can see there are no natural born leaders in the current team, the closest to it would be TPJ or Lodge but the if Lodge go picked their would be mobs with pitchforks at Red Hill.
Looks like they are going to either buy one or they will go with the easy option and we will have captain Macca fronting the media after our next 58-0 lost

Didn’t they extend Gillett’s deal again after he broke his neck??
Madness...
Yeah that's what I was referring to. They extended Boyd when he was out with bad hamstring issues and renewed Gillett while he was out with a broken neck. For this reason, pa white and whoever else was involved in that decision needs to piss off. Also, what's with giving players all these options in their favour? Seems stupid.

I hope you're right. Joe's really been in a significant dry spell for a while now though. When was the last time he gave us any real 'inside mail'? I will quickly apologise and give myself an uppercut if I am wrong, but at the moment, I feel Joe is no more than a mouthpiece for the club feeding us BS/propaganda to try and douse the flames whilst fan memberships hang in the balance. The club is hoping that over a long off-season, us fans forget and it just all blows over and come next season, the usual protected species will be in their usual protected positions in the team. Let's see what eventuates over the next little while.

As I said before - [emoji849]

According to Chris Garry, Matt Gillett was also put on notice today, said he believes Gillett may transition in to a bench role next year.

Also, in regards to the captaincy, he said Matt Lodge is the natural leader and the one that the players would want to be captain, but he'd be a PR disaster and it's unlikely. Captaincy could go to a "big name" player we bring in from outside the club.
Yeah Gillett has been shit. So glad we are spending $700k on the plodder.

The name Garry seems to be adamant on is Chad Townsend, I think that'd be a pretty handy signing to be honest, he's what we need. He might actually be a genuine captaincy option as well if you want to look at it objectively.

Townsend's numbers for this year, not the greatest, but certainly nothing to scoff at -

25 games - 6 tries, 13 try assists, 11 line-break assists, 19 forced drop outs - 85% tackle efficiency

Comparatively, the million dollar Milf -

24 games - 6 tries, 13 try assists, 8 line-break assists, 19 forced drop outs - 71% tackle efficiency

Very similar overall production, having two guys in the halves who are capable of forcing drop outs, setting up tries for others and scoring the occasional one themselves? Sign me up.
Honestly Milfords numbers are very impressive considering he had like 3 or 4 halves partners this year and a bunch of games at fullback.

Yeh Gillett's deal actually irks me 100% more than the Boyd re-signing. At least Boyd was in some sort of form at the time. He had also not just broken his neck that same year. Whoever made the decision the sign Gillett to 4 years should be strapped to a chair and made to sit and watch a compilation of DarryB and Macca lowlights of 2019 on a constant loop.
He wasn't in form. He had spent the past 2 months battling hamstring issues and could hardly run.

Wait, I thought Smokin Joe was adamant there would be "significant changes" and these would "happen quickly". Also, didn't he claim earlier this year Boyd and Macca had been spoken to and their futures were 'sorted'?

Looks like the same old shit next year and the same propaganda being fed to fans, such as to us here on BHQ, by 'those in the know'. Come on Joe, cut the crap, otherwise your legacy here will be looking more and more like DarryB at the broncos.
Yeah their futures are sorted. They are both signed for 2020 and both have options in their favour for 2021. It is us that is fucked.

Honestly Milfords numbers are very impressive considering he had like 3 or 4 halves partners this year and a bunch of games at fullback.
Yeah for a guy who essentially did two jobs most of the year, I think he deserves a bit of slack. He last played great footy alongside an actual Halfback (Hunt) so until we can provide him with one of those again I'm inclined to want to give him another go.
[automerge]1568846383[/automerge]
From what I can see there are no natural born leaders in the current team, the closest to it would be TPJ or Lodge but the if Lodge go picked their would be mobs with pitchforks at Red Hill.
Looks like they are going to either buy one or they will go with the easy option and we will have captain Macca fronting the media after our next 58-0 lost
Glenn, Gillett and Lodge as a Leadership group. It's a low risk solution that buys us insurance if the older two suffer injury and loss of form and it also somewhat shields Lodge from the really public/commercial aspects of Captaincy by blending him in with the others for a while. Also a chance for him to develop his leadership with support from some older and calmer heads.

Last edited:
I think Matt Gillett has earned better than "plodder".One of the first picked in any rep team before he broke his neck. Just a little respect would be appropriate.
Are all your avatars from that guy that did photos of dogs mid-treat chomp?

I think Matt Gillett has earned better than "plodder".One of the first picked in any rep team before he broke his neck. Just a little respect would be appropriate.
This 100%.

It's not even like he's been all that poor. He's had a huge layoff and he's come back into a side as an edge Backrower running of a constantly revolving door of some of the least effective Halves in the competition.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Midean
  • Manifesto
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.