Darius Boyd told he won’t play round one, Jack Bird cut loose in Broncos upheaval

This doesn't surprise me at all. Admittedly I know **** all about business, but it never made sense to me that we could be killing it financially off the field, yet struggling massively on the field.
happens quite often to clubs trading on past glories....

Last edited:
The Broncos have plenty of money in the bank so why don't they just create (or fund outside of footy) a 'Rugby League Players Mental Health Foundation' and put Boyd as senior "consultant" with McC and Gillette as associate 'Consultants' That way cap is not affected and solves the 'what to do with the plodders' issue. Buy a nice country property where other clubs can pay to send there 'mentally challenged' players for a bit of a rest and recoupe. Gives Boyd a new 'Captaincy' and get him far away from our footy club. Might even make a few bucks.
I think Bird has plenty to offer if he can stay fit and if we can unload the plodding three we will have plenty of dosh to spend on a good half and fullback. Does anyone know anything about Brodie Croft maybe becoming available. I believe he is rated as a real good prospect?

It means the confidence in the Broncos has markedly dropped since they booted Wayne. Without going into analysis specific to the stock: as an investment, it's diverged from the underlying market trend, and returned negative gains. You would've been roughly better off by 35% investing in a market index (mix of blue chip shares). That's massive.

As an investment it’s pretty poor stock, but your point is misleading. As my graphic showed, they have been on a downward slide for years, including WHEN Wayne was here...

As an investment it’s pretty poor stock, but your point is misleading. As my graphic showed, they have been on a downward slide for years, including WHEN Wayne was here...
Don't follow: we used the same timeframe. Look again.

Meanwhile, here is a five year chart. Peak is marked.

Last edited:
Don't follow: we used the same timeframe. Look again.

Meanwhile, here is a five year chart. Peak is marked.

View attachment 6247

As I said, it’s been on the slide for years, including in the Wayne era, so to blame everything on Seibold yet again, is entirely misinterpreting that data and is disingenuous.

As I said, it’s been on the slide for years, including in the Wayne era, so to blame everything on Seibold yet again, is entirely misinterpreting that data and is disingenuous.

You posted a 2 year chart - without any market context. What on earth are you talking about?

Last edited:
You posted a 2 year chart - without any market context. What on earth are you talking about?
Your statement ‘confidence has dropped markedly since they booted Wayne.’

Not incorrect but misleading. It was already dropping markedly WITH Wayne as the data shows.

It has continued to drop without him and will until the club starts become successful and interesting to watch again.

Your statement ‘confidence has dropped markedly since they booted Wayne.’

Not incorrect but misleading. It was already dropping markedly WITH Wayne as the data shows.

It has continued to drop without him and will until the club starts become successful and interesting to watch again.

I didn't interpret the correlation: merely pointed to it, and noted that it was a divergence from the underlying market sentiment. It's a pretty dramatic divergence, and that's not reflected in the preceding year.

scary part of this is dobbo said this morning that boyd macca and few others were told yesterday That IF they dont lift there game next season they will be out of the broncos.

to me that sounds like seiebold is still going to play them for first few rounds.... i mean **** me if thats true seibold has probably just signed the death of his nrl coachinig career
If you're deciding who to believe out of Chris Garry and Dobbo ... It is a no-brainer, you believe Chris Garry every single time

Bennett just backed Boyd to fire again via ten news... but also said he wouldn’t take him at Souths.

I see what you're saying. Townsend definitely isn't the greatest playmaker going around but he would offer us a lot of things we need.

A more than decent kicking game. From what I've seen, he's got a decent long kicking game and short kicking game. His long kicks are pretty accurate and find the green alot of the time. His kick chase is great also.

Game management skills like organising our attack, know what plays on and when, getting good ball to our rampaging pack, being vocal during games yelling at players to run here, run at that hole, be here, go there etc.

Leadership qualities. He's won a premiership and knows what it takes to get it done as a half. We'd know exactly what we're getting from him, he's not an untested rookie.

Defense. Now he's not the best defender but I'm sure he's better than turpin at 7 and whoever else we've put in there.

As for 40/20s, we don't need him kicking those. Milf can do those as he's pretty good at them.

What's good about having a guy like Townsend at #7 is it mixes up our kicking game. Milf won't be targeted as much as we've got Townsend to kick also. It won't be as easy for the defense to get at who's kicking on the 5th tackle. We can play smarter rather than just give it to Milf. We need to grow some rugby league smarts and play with some brains.

There's not many quality halves on the market but Townsend is the player I'd be enquiring about if I was Seibold. Not sure how old Townsend is but I'm sure he's got at least another 5 years in the game. Trust me, he'd be perfect for a guy like Milf too. Milf needs to be freed up. He doesn't thrive when he's the sole playmaker and getting targeted every game. I'm hoping a half like Townsend can bring back the Milf from 2015.

I don't get the current obsession with wanting Townsend.

What is it we want out of our halfback moving forward. The general consensus would appear to be:
- a kicking game to ease pressure on Milford
- game manager/game awareness to lead the team around and get them in the right positions... so Milford doesn't have to
- solid defence, but not the highest priority
- offer some sort of attacking pressure to ease the load on Milford

In terms of Chad's kicking game and game awareness I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I had a look through the last 4 years of Chad's stats to see how many 40/20's he's kicked.

Why 40/20's??
To me a 40/20 represents the player's long kicking ability (execution and accuracy) and game awareness (identifying when the fullback is out of position or looking to change momentum for their own team).

Going back to 2015 (4 seasons and 100+ games) Chad has kicked 1 40/20 and that was rd 1 in 2015 when he was still with the warriors. That is garbage output from a guy who supposedly has an "excellent" long kicking game.

His long kicking game consists entirely of exactly the same as what we get from our current halves ie. Kicks to the corner.

In terms of easing attacking pressure I would say he does bugger all in that department as well. In recent times he's basically been the link man between Graham, Maloney, Johnson, Barba and Moylan. He rarely creates anything on his own.

At best he is an average middle of the ground halfback that doesn't really contribute anything more to the team that Dearden and O'Sullivan won't already provide. Except we'd be paying him about $600k a year for the pleasure to do so in Broncos colors for the next 3 years.

I think signing Townsend would be a massive massive mistake for us and won't solve any of our current issues.

Hasn't even been a week mate .

I know I know, but after Sunday's game I just want somebody, or several of them, to be held responsible for that and the disaster of a season in general. I had such huge expectations and for it all to fall so flat, **** it's deflating with a long off-season ahead.
[automerge]1568879962[/automerge]
I see what you're saying. Townsend definitely isn't the greatest playmaker going around but he would offer us a lot of things we need.

A more than decent kicking game. From what I've seen, he's got a decent long kicking game and short kicking game. His long kicks are pretty accurate and find the green alot of the time. His kick chase is great also.

Game management skills like organising our attack, know what plays on and when, getting good ball to our rampaging pack, being vocal during games yelling at players to run here, run at that hole, be here, go there etc.

Leadership qualities. He's won a premiership and knows what it takes to get it done as a half. We'd know exactly what we're getting from him, he's not an untested rookie.

Defense. Now he's not the best defender but I'm sure he's better than turpin at 7 and whoever else we've put in there.

As for 40/20s, we don't need him kicking those. Milf can do those as he's pretty good at them.

What's good about having a guy like Townsend at #7 is it mixes up our kicking game. Milf won't be targeted as much as we've got Townsend to kick also. It won't be as easy for the defense to get at who's kicking on the 5th tackle. We can play smarter rather than just give it to Milf. We need to grow some rugby league smarts and play with some brains.

There's not many quality halves on the market but Townsend is the player I'd be enquiring about if I was Seibold. Not sure how old Townsend is but I'm sure he's got at least another 5 years in the game. Trust me, he'd be perfect for a guy like Milf too. Milf needs to be freed up. He doesn't thrive when he's the sole playmaker and getting targeted every game. I'm hoping a half like Townsend can bring back the Milf from 2015.

Townsend is only 28 so you would expect he would have at least another 3 years at the top of his game. By that stage, we would know for sure whether Dearden is going to live up to the hype or not.

Last edited:
I know I know, but after Sunday's game I just want somebody, or several of them, to be held responsible for that and the disaster of a season in general. I had such huge expectations and for it all to fall so flat, **** it's deflating with a long off-season ahead.
[automerge]1568879962[/automerge]

I completely understand this sentiment mate and mostly agree. Sunday was our clubs lowest day, but I think we need to remain patient.

Apparently Jack Bird has gone to broncos and trying to get back to sydney.
Does that mean we don’t have to pay anything ?

Apparently Jack Bird has gone to broncos and trying to get back to sydney.
Does that mean we don’t have to pay anything ?

Depends on how much of his contract gets covered by another club. I dare say we’ll be stuck paying something. A straight swap with the dogs for Foz please.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • bazza
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.