Darius Boyd told he won’t play round one, Jack Bird cut loose in Broncos upheaval

All that is fine, but for $900k you probably can get far better value than that. In a position we actually need it especially.

We’re up for 900k next season regardless. Not real keen on paying half his wage next season to have him play elsewhere

Keep in mind Oate's poor form coincided with the loss of Bird and then our halves. The poor defense was almost always happening on his inside. He almost never had a decent pass to run off.

I want to keep Bird unless we can swap him for a half.

watching all the news reports i imagine a bunch of monkeys sitting in offices flinging shit around and seeing what sticks.

What's wrong with targeting Holmes? He was unbelievable before he left, like Turbo, Teddy, RTS tier. It solves one issue in our spine, get Foran/ Sezer on a Blake Green type stop gap deal with him and we're cooking with gas.

I agree but I was under the impression that they can only offer glen unders because of salary cap pressures.
That doesn’t square with then chasing Holmes who would be on several times more coin than glen.

Serious question: Do we have a realistic way for Boyd to leave without impacting our Salary Cap other than another club taking him off our hands, which is obviously extremely unlikely.
Maybe. There has to be ways around taking the full hit on our cap.
If Boyd retires and we give him a job then next year his salary would be on our cap ala GI. Souths gave him a job at (reportedly) 300k but he was on 1 mill , so they got the balance of 700k back in their cap.
If the Broncos were to do something similar and pay Boyd say 200k we should get the residual off our cap.
Now Boyd wouldn't want to leave 600k behind but once he is officially off our cap, which he would be due to the 15 game clause, then we could back end any employment contract to keep him happy.
It's probably not as simple as that but you get the gist. Our lawyers should be able to work it out or we give the rorters a call and ask them how to do it.

Last edited:
All that is fine, but for $900k you probably can get far better value than that. In a position we actually need it especially.

that's what the media are saying he is on this week ... who knows what figure they will claim next week ... it changes so often, it is hard to keep track

Maybe. There has to be ways around taking the full hit on our cap.
If Boyd retires and we give him a job then next year his salary would be on our cap ala GI. Souths gave him a job at (reportedly) 300k but he was on 1 mill , so they got the balance of 700k back in their cap.
If the Broncos were to do something similar and pay Boyd say 200k we should get the residual off our cap.
Now Boyd wouldn't want to leave 600k behind but once he is officially off our cap, which he would be due to the 15 game clause, then we could back end any employment contract to keep him happy.
It's probably not as simple as that but you get the gist. Our lawyers should be able to work it out or we give the rorters a call and ask them how to do it.

remember Boyd has an option in his favour for next season ... so if he decides to retire, he won't take up that option, therefore (in theory, because who knows with the amateurish NRL) we won't need to carry any of his contract on our cap.

GI was different because he still had a year to go on his contract

Then how did Newcastle and Nathan Brown tear up Jesse Ramien's contract overnight?

Is there some hidden clause the club could activate Ramien style on Boyd (and McCullough)?

There is no way this is the result of one game you know...this has been coming to a head for ages clearly...

The decision to cut early on Bird i find interesting, like the original mistake of outbidding Parramatta for him has only now been acknowledged. Or a case of cap space is required to obtain the correct spine players the club needs and he is the easiest to expend..?

Bird almost back flipped on coming up here; he cited family reasons and that he thought they would move up with him to Brisbane; seems it took the Great Man (copyright trademark) to step in and talk him around...tells you something about his IQ level if you ask me...

Serious moves being mooted here.....they werent wrong about open heart surgery were they..?

Then how did Newcastle and Nathan Brown tear up Jesse Ramien's contract overnight?

Is there some hidden clause the club could activate Ramien style on Boyd (and McCullough)?

they didn't tear it up ... basically told Ramien that he wouldn't play first grade again at the Knights and if he didn't want to play reserve grade for the remainder of his contract, he was free to leave.

Ramien decided to seek a new club rather than rot away in reserve grade

remember Boyd has an option in his favour for next season ... so if he decides to retire, he won't take up that option, therefore (in theory, because who knows with the amateurish NRL) we won't need to carry any of his contract on our cap.

GI was different because he still had a year to go on his contract
I thought the option was for 2021 and providing he played 15 games. If you are right then happy days. That makes it easy. Here is a bunch of money NOT to play Darius.

Birds only got one more year on his contract, May as well stick with him and see if it works out. If he remains healthy he’ll offer more good than bad

There is no way this is the result of one game you know...this has been coming to a head for ages clearly...

The decision to cut early on Bird i find interesting, like the original mistake of outbidding Parramatta for him has only now been acknowledged. Or a case of cap space is required to obtain the correct spine players the club needs and he is the easiest to expend..?

Bird almost back flipped on coming up here; he cited family reasons and that he thought they would move up with him to Brisbane; seems it took the Great Man (copyright trademark) to step in and talk him around...tells you something about his IQ level if you ask me...

Serious moves being mooted here.....they werent wrong about open heart surgery were they..?

firstly we didn't outbid Parramatta for Bird ... our offer was reportedly about 100k more than the Sharks (reportedly 650k), but significantly less than the Knights (reportedly $1.1 million)

secondly, you need to immediately disregard anything Slothfield said on the matter, he was just butthurt that Bird was signed by his most hated team (from his most loved team) .. Even Bird's father took the unusual step of coming out and saying the reports about his son wanting to backflip on us were full of shit.

anyone who went to a new club and had the injury problems that Bird had (thanks in at least part to the Sharks for not dealing with them while he was contracted to them) ... throughout this latest set back this year, Bird has looked far more settled and far happier

Not Keen on Bird going, I think he will get a full season next year, I do think his contract is over valued but it's stupid business if we Offload him and have to pay a percent of his wage and he ends up playing a full season without injury because you know he is probably one of the best centers in the comp.

Number 1 Priority is removing Macca, Boyd and possibly Gillet and getting someone to pay for it.

Wouldn't be fully against Milford going if he doesn't shape up in the pre season either.

All funds have to go to a new Half that has Experience and direction.

Glenn Captain.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Broncorob
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Broncosgirl
  • porouian
  • jarro65
  • Big Del
  • Manlyman
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.