NEWS Darius Boyd will take a $300,000 pay cut if he sees out his Broncos contract

Some people just have no idea! If both macca and boyd were dropped at the beginning of this season, I can guarantee we wouldn't be in the 8. Experience is so underated.
How exactly can you guarantee it? You never said anything all season now you are dropping guarantees? Okey dokey.

I want real halves as much as anyone. I’ve also been one of the biggest critics of Boyd and to a lesser extent Macca but some of you need to ease up a bit.

We’ve only lost 1 game featuring Turpin and Boyd in the halves, and that was after an awful first half of the season. Not to mention that we are going into the finals and now isn’t the time to drop 2 of our most experienced players.

If Boyd and Macca were to be dropped it either had to be earlier this season (not really possible due to injuries) or over the offseason. I think it would be unwise to do it now.

Some people just have no idea! If both macca and boyd were dropped at the beginning of this season, I can guarantee we wouldn't be in the 8. Experience is so underated.

not to mention that it would be a good way for Seibs to lose the dressing room and once that happens it is all over

not to mention that it would be a good way for Seibs to lose the dressing room and once that happens it is all over
Exactly, 2 experienced and well respected players. As much as I would love a speedy creative 9 and 6 , you need players to direct our youngster's.
[automerge]1567591110[/automerge]
How exactly can you guarantee it? You never said anything all season now you are dropping guarantees? Okey dokey.
If we played turpin, dearden and sos how do you think we'd go ? We might look dangerous but I bet we'd be very inconsistent, and would lose more than we won.

Last edited:

I understand where you are coming from as well as others on here. But hindsight is too a wonderful thing. Where your argument immediately falls apart is do you remember what happened when Macca got injured after the Souths game and most on here were saying how defensively lost we would become in his absence? We went on a 3 game winning streak despite not looking like firing a shot all season which included scalps such as Manly, Roosters and the Warriors away. We conceded a meagre 22 points at an average of less than 8 points conceded per game when Segeyaro and Turpin filled in for him. Do you remember what happened when we rushed Macca back in, we got fucking trounced 3 games in a row leaking over 30 points a game.
Granted his performances have at least become better but it still isn’t good enough for someone of his experience and stature. It’s not like Segeyaro is an inexperience rookie either.

On Boyd, I can sort of understand why we didn’t drop Boyd earlier in the season. He still had a few credits in the bank and we had no one putting pressure on him at fullback.

However, once his bad performances kept piling up, Seibold decided to move him to 6 and move our best 6 to fullback. So in essence we hugely weakened one position just to plug a gap for the other. How is that good management to build success? If Boyd had of just been moved to centre once Bird was out for the season then he probably flies under the radar for rest of 2019 whilst we develop actual combinations in the spine that we as a club will actually utilise in 2+ years. Darius will more than likely not make it past 2020. So what is the point of trying make him learn a new position at the cost of giving others valuable experience and building combinations when he will be lucky to have 12 months left in the game? At least at centre, he wouldn’t be underperforming in a critical position and the way he is playing, is probably more suited to centre than any other position on the field.

There is a future immortal who retired last year who is probably the best halfback in the modern era who is 3 times the player Boyd is/was and even he was being questioned week to week despite actually still contributing in key statistical areas. He had a ton more credits than Boyd ever had. And even then JT only had a quiet last season that led to his continued criticism whereas Boyd has had a very very lean 18-24 months from a player of his standing and salary. Anyone would think we are asking peak Darren Lockyer to retire and not a clearly past it Darius.

Also are we the only club in recent times that has moved a club captain to a different position mid season to try and justify keeping him in first grade instead of considering dropping him?

He is a protected species and whilst shit like this goes on with no accountability, then the more fans like me get disillusioned. Talk about experience all you like but I can’t see how picking players on reputation despite a long term sustained continual run of poor form is good for club culture if it is affecting results and what kind of example does that set for squad members trying to crack a first grade spot.

TLDR; maybe we should see how we go without Macca and Boyd before we immediately assume we would fall apart without them

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from as well as others on here. But hindsight is too a wonderful thing. Where your argument immediately falls apart is do you remember what happened when Macca got injured after the Souths game and most on here were saying how defensively lost we would become in his absence? We went on a 3 game winning streak despite not looking like firing a shot all season which included scalps such as Manly, Roosters and the Warriors away. We conceded a meagre 22 points at an average of less than 8 points conceded per game when Segeyaro and Turpin filled in for him. Do you remember what happened when we rushed Macca back in, we got fucking trounced 3 games in a row leaking over 30 points a game.
Granted his performances have at least become better but it still isn’t good enough for someone of his experience and stature. It’s not like Segeyaro is an inexperience rookie either.

On Boyd, I can sort of understand why we didn’t drop Boyd earlier in the season. He still had a few credits in the bank and we had no one putting pressure on him at fullback.

However, once his bad performances kept piling up, Seibold decided to move him to 6 and move our best 6 to fullback. So in essence we hugely weakened one position just to plug a gap for the other. How is that good management to build success? If Boyd had of just been moved to centre once Bird was out for the season then he probably flies under the radar for rest of 2019 whilst we develop actual combinations in the spine that we as a club will actually utilise in 2+ years. Darius will more than likely not make it past 2020. So what is the point of trying make him learn a new position at the cost of giving others valuable experience and building combinations when he will be lucky to have 12 months left in the game? At least at centre, he wouldn’t be underperforming in a critical position and the way he is playing, is probably more suited to centre than any other position on the field.

There is a future immortal who retired last year who is probably the best halfback in the modern era who is 3 times the player Boyd is/was and even he was being questioned week to week despite actually still contributing in key statistical areas. He had a ton more credits than Boyd ever had. And even then JT only had a quiet last season that led to his continued criticism whereas Boyd has had a very very lean 18-24 months from a player of his standing and salary. Anyone would think we are asking peak Darren Lockyer to retire and not a clearly past it Darius.

Also are we the only club in recent times that has moved a club captain to a different position mid season to try and justify keeping him in first grade instead of considering dropping him?

He is a protected species and whilst shit like this goes on with no accountability, then the more fans like me get disillusioned. Talk about experience all you like but I can’t see how picking players on reputation despite a long term sustained continual run of poor form is good for club culture if it is affecting results and what kind of example does that set for squad members trying to crack a first grade spot.

TLDR; maybe we should see how we go without Macca and Boyd before we immediately assume we would fall apart without them

Im not saying this to have a go but it’s really difficult responding to such massive posts. Especially when on a phone and especially when any mistake in response gets jumped all over. I went to reply to your previous post but I got sick of scrolling back up double checking what I was saying that I just thought **** it and didn’t respond.

Exactly, 2 experienced and well respected players. As much as I would love a speedy creative 9 and 6 , you need players to direct our youngster's.

If we played turpin, dearden and sos how do you think we'd go ? We might look dangerous but I bet we'd be very inconsistent, and would lose more than we won.

You're also forgetting the talk of removing Macca and Boyd is not recent and has been a genuine concern for us fans and members for 18-24 months. Here is what was the most popular alternative tossed around this forum as early as round 4! Not as inexperienced/ inconsistent as you think....
1. Bird
6. Milf
7. SOS / Dearden
9. Turpin

You're also forgetting the talk of removing Macca and Boyd is not recent and has been a genuine concern for us fans and members for 18-24 months. Here is what was the most popular alternative tossed around this forum as early as round 4! Not as inexperienced/ inconsistent as you think....
1. Bird
6. Milf
7. SOS / Dearden
9. Turpin

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that most of our alternative spine options have missed big parts of the season due to injury or suspension. How many games could that spine have had together this year?

Last edited:

Well I wouldn't be dropping any guarantees but we'd be 12 weekls closer to where we wanted to be. Except for the injuries already sustained it would have been career ending if we put Deards through that thank God we didn't.

Honestly you fellas are just going to have to get over the Boyd/Macca hate. They're not getting dropped. Cheer them on, they're part of our next premiership winning spine.

Don't mistake that for me not wanting Macca shipped out 5 years ago but it is what it is. At the very least they're excellent clubmen and ultimate professionals around their preparation and attitude. If we want the next batch of super stars to remain good players, we need a good senior influence around them, or else we end up like the rabble down the Coast who sign "stars" with a leadership group of Hayne, James and... Peats? lol.

Honestly you fellas are just going to have to get over the Boyd/Macca hate. They're not getting dropped. Cheer them on, they're part of our next premiership winning spine.

Don't mistake that for me not wanting Macca shipped out 5 years ago but it is what it is. At the very least they're excellent clubmen and ultimate professionals around their preparation and attitude. If we want the next batch of super stars to remain good players, we need a good senior influence around them, or else we end up like the rabble down the Coast who sign "stars" with a leadership group of Hayne, James and... Peats? lol.

This ... Boyd's talent may have deserted him to an extent and Macca never really had any (except making 40-50 tackles a game) ... but their attitude towards training and their game day preparation and recovery are excellent and a good example for our youthful squad.

Last edited:
This ... Boyd's talent may have deserted him to an extent and Macca never really had any (except making 40-50 tackles a game) ... but their attitude towards training and their game day preparation and recovery are excellent and a good example for our youthful squad.
I could live with Boyd if he was part of our next Premiership. I just don't think we'll achieve one if he's only allowed to make up part of our spine.

He'd be a very capable left Centre and in that role (similar to late career GI) he could be both a leader and a solid contributor each week and in that capacity I can see us challenging for a Premiership.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Santa
  • mitch222
  • azza.79
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • NSW stables
  • Redux
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • ostin86
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.