NEWS Darius Boyd will take a $300,000 pay cut if he sees out his Broncos contract

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
    Featured
Darius Boyd will take a $300,000 pay cut
if he sees out his Broncos contract

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
August 31, 2019 4:04pm

Besieged Brisbane captain Darius Boyd will underline his loyalty to the club by taking a $300,000 pay cut if he decides to see out his four-year deal with the Broncos in 2021. In the wake of his season-best performance against the Eels on Friday night, The Sunday Mail can reveal the finer details of Boyd’s contract that will not make him a salary-cap burden in his twilight years. Brisbane’s most decorated player has come under pressure to retire at season’s end with many pundits fearing Boyd’s lofty position on the Broncos’ payroll could cost them several young guns including David Fifita.

under pressure to retire

But Boyd’s salary will be heavily slashed in the final season of his existing four-year contract. The 32-year-old intends to play on in 2020. Under the salary cap, Boyd is scheduled to earn $700,000 next season, with a contractual clause stipulating he must play at least 15 games in 2020 to trigger a 12-month extension.

Boyd had one of his best games of the season against the Eels. Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images.

Boyd had one of his best games of the season against the Eels. Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images.

third-highest paid player

However, the final year of his contract is not as exorbitant as initially suspected. Should Boyd turn out in 2021, his salary will be downgraded to $400,000, effectively a 40 per cent pay cut and a reason why the Broncos will have extra funds to upgrade teenage sensation Fifita. Boyd is currently Brisbane’s third-highest paid player behind Anthony Milford ($1 million) and Jack Bird ($800,000), but the Broncos have a history of strategically scaling back player payments in their final years.

walk away

In his swan song year in 2011, Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, Brisbane’s most-capped player and a future NRL Immortal, turned out for just $200,000. There is a possibility Boyd will walk away of his own volition at the end of next season, but if the 315-game stalwart soldiers on in 2021, Broncos coach Anthony Seibold says it will not be a financial blow.

abysmal

“What Darius does won’t have any impact on David Fifita,” Seibold said following Boyd’s sizzling display to sink the Eels. “It was good for Darius to repay the faith I have in him and he has done it a few times when he has been questioned this year. “I haven’t even spoken to Darius about what he might do next year or the year after, because it’s not the right time. “We are a week away from the regular season finishing and we are in a fight with three or four other teams to play finals. “Once the season is done and dusted in a few weeks time, I will sit down and have a chat but Darius has indicated to me he wants to go around next year.”

axed as fullback

A number of NRL legends have brutally dissected Boyd’s form this season. Queensland Origin legend Paul Vautin described his early-season defence as “abysmal” and NRL halfback Immortal Andrew Johns called for him to be axed as fullback.

Boyd has copped heavy criticism this year. Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images.

Boyd has copped heavy criticism this year. Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images.

still trying to turn up

Despite the stinging criticism, Boyd said his passion for the game had not diminished and it is driving him in his quest to lead Brisbane to a sixth consecutive finals appearance. Asked how he has coped with the attacks, Boyd said: “I just love rugby league. “I love coming to training and I’m still motivated. “I love leading the team I’m playing with and ‘Seibs’ as coach is doing a great job. “I’m still trying to turn up to training every week to do my best and get better as a player. “It’s always nice to hear nice things said and it’s not great when negative things are said. But I don’t live in a rugby league bubble. “I have my family and friends and I know when I have played well and haven’t well played. “The important thing is that I turn up with a smile on my face trying to lead and use my experience on and off the field.” Asked if he will play in 2021 at age 34, Boyd said: “I’m just worried about Canterbury next week, I just have to keep playing well and I will worry about my future after the season.”

copped criticism

Seibold lauded Boyd’s contribution against the Eels, saying people outside Brisbane’s inner-sanctum don’t see his value for younger teammates. “He was outstanding,” he said. “I have copped criticism for backing him up, which I don’t understand because you back your leaders. “Players tell you a story which people at home or in the stands or commentators can’t see. “David Fifita wants to play beside Darius because of his organisation and talk and experience.

numbers have been down

That tells me something. “His numbers have been down at different times in various parts of his game, but the calmness that he brings is something we don’t have a lot of. “We don’t have a lot of experience in this team, we have so many guys who are new to this level. I’m very proud of Darius.”

Last edited:

raveenkari

QCup Player
He can take all the pay cuts he wants, we still wont win a premiership with him at fullback or five-eight.

Yeah he had a good game against Parra. Still doesnt warrant him playing on for the next 2 years.

Please Darbs just step aside. All your 'experience' can still be utilised in an off-field role.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Tbh it sounds like more propaganda to me. There's no quotes with anyone from the club saying he's getting less.

theshed

NRL Player
Don’t believe the hype. Darius is 100% retiring at season end though only a select few within the club are aware. Darius is a legend of a bloke and doesn’t want his retirement to be a distraction for his young teammates. He also wants to go out on his own terms without any kind of fuss, especially from rugby league media who have dogged him most of his career. There will be a quiet announcement a couple weeks after our season is done.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
He can take all the pay cuts he wants, we still wont win a premiership with him at fullback or five-eight.

Yeah he had a good game against Parra. Still doesnt warrant him playing on for the next 2 years.

Please Darbs just step aside. All your 'experience' can still be utilised in an off-field role.
No one has ever said he's playing on for two years. Why would he care what you say? His coach wants him there and so do his team mates. Why the **** should he step aside?

Last edited:

Culhwch

QCup Player
The burden on the salary cap is only one party of the issue, though. That might not stand in the way of player retention, but Boyd taking up a spot that a younger, better player could be taking could be just as damaging when it comes time for a young guy to decide whether to stay or go.

It's simply in the best interests of the club if he doesn't extend beyond next year. Even this year to be honest, as unlikely as that seems.

Last edited:

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Darius had an absolute cracker of a game against Parra. The kind of game his career indicates he should still be able to have every week. If he starts putting together regular displays like that then I'm gonna be backing him to play on. The young guys need old heads beside them for as long as possible. Milf moving up into 5/8 for the last play of a few sets was epic too. Really got us starting our d sets on the front foot with his kicking. SOS just can't find the ground with his kicks. Time for people on here to recognise good footy when it's played and back their team. We are 1 iota from making the finals after a horror start to the season. Stand up, back the boys and be heard. Darius will play better if people stop trying to tell him he is shit.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Darius had an absolute cracker of a game against Parra. The kind of game his career indicates he should still be able to have every week. If he starts putting together regular displays like that then I'm gonna be backing him to play on. The young guys need old heads beside them for as long as possible. Milf moving up into 5/8 for the last play of a few sets was epic too. Really got us starting our d sets on the front foot with his kicking. SOS just can't find the ground with his kicks. Time for people on here to recognise good footy when it's played and back their team. We are 1 iota from making the finals after a horror start to the season. Stand up, back the boys and be heard. Darius will play better if people stop trying to tell him he is shit.
Funny thing is around 90% of kicks in all games by all clubs are taken on the full. SOS didn't get great service either so one game where his kicks were taken on the full is no biggie. It's not like he kicked a lot of times either. Didn't Milf kick two dead ? It's a weird phenomenon. A commentator makes a couple observations and bang, next day (or even next few minutes) some people are repeating the comments like they just thought them up.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
In the first 25 minutes of the match Milford kicked 4 times. One was caught on the full, one found the ground but could easily have been caught on the full and the other two went dead for 7 tackle sets!!

SOS kicked 3 times and all were caught on the full but in his defense one was pretty rushed due to a slow pass...from Milford I think. Voss makes a comment and viola, SoS is putrid ! No mention about Milford's shit kicking though.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The greatest shame on picking up quotes from in game and media (throwing shapes anyone?) is that it means people actually listen to in game commentary. I understand other forms of media reading, etc but I just don’t understand how one can watch a game with any of these tv commentary teams these days.

Sasquatch75

BRL Player
with a contractual clause stipulating he must play at least 15 games in 2020 to trigger a 12-

This is why he takes a knee at fullback and didn’t dive for the match winner last week ..... protecting the body so he can get 15 games .
One good game to take the heat off but we will get more of the protecting himself next year

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
The greatest shame on picking up quotes from in game and media (throwing shapes anyone?) is that it means people actually listen to in game commentary. I understand other forms of media reading, etc but I just don’t understand how one can watch a game with any of these tv commentary teams these days.
I'm amazed at how easily a commentator can influence people's opinions. It seems that some viewers see the same thing as the commentator who has an axe to grind or a dislike and even though they've seen it with their own eyes they adopt the commentators view.

I watched the game yet again and nearly every single kick from Milford was taken on the full! Naturally that disregards the four grubbers, two of which went dead and the brilliant one for DBs try. Of Milford's areial assault kicks almost all were swallowed up on the full. There was only one well placed kick that found the ground and the one Sivo could easily have caught but didn't. My point is about SOS, it seems like a case of 'give a dog a bad name'.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I'm amazed at how easily a commentator can influence people's opinions. It seems that some viewers see the same thing as the commentator who has an axe to grind or a dislike and even though they've seen it with their own eyes they adopt the commentators view.

I watched the game yet again and nearly every single kick from Milford was taken on the full! Naturally that disregards the four grubbers, two of which went dead and the brilliant one for DBs try. Of Milford's areial assault kicks almost all were swallowed up on the full. There was only one well placed kick that found the ground and the one Sivo could easily have caught but didn't. My point is about SOS, it seems like a case of 'give a dog a bad name'.
I actually turned the nein commentary on last night because I wanted to hear Gus’s ‘professional’ opinion on his two teams. Sure enough, whenever there was an error, it should have been play on, wrong call. Whenever there was a penalty, should have been play on, wrong call. Neither of those sides could do wrong apparently.

pagey

NRL Captain
Don’t believe the hype. Darius is 100% retiring at season end though only a select few within the club are aware. Darius is a legend of a bloke and doesn’t want his retirement to be a distraction for his young teammates. He also wants to go out on his own terms without any kind of fuss, especially from rugby league media who have dogged him most of his career. There will be a quiet announcement a couple weeks after our season is done.
And you know this how?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Easy, ask anyone with kids. Their voices are just background noise, I can easily watch a half dozen games of footy without absorbing anything the commentators say.

Locky888

BRL Player
Wolves will instinctively attack their omega pack-member (weakest link) in order to create a stronger pack. This is necessary to survive in the wild. I think this is what's happening when Broncos' fans attacks Boyd and Macca. We just want to end up with the strongest team possible.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter