Darius rules out Sydney move

They all need to go into a bubble, no contact with the public, no contact with anyone who is in contact with the public. It's the only way it will work. Otherwise it's just another ticking time bomb waiting for someone to be infected and the whole comp shut down again. What a waste of money that would have been.

I absolutely cannot get my head around them allowing to live with their families, go to the shops etc. If they were going to do that, why did they stop the comp in the first place?

A bunch of sports should all just in for an island and have all their stars go live there. NBA, NFL, EPL, NRL, UFC

call it Kayo sports island. Test all of them and their loved ones and anyone healthy goes into a 2 weeks lockdown then gets flown to the island

A bunch of sports should all just in for an island and have all their stars go live there. NBA, NFL, EPL, NRL, UFC

call it Kayo sports island. Test all of them and their loved ones and anyone healthy goes into a 2 weeks lockdown then gets flown to the island
I give it about 10 seconds before the general public start enquiring about how much it costs to go and live there. I know I would.

I give it about 10 seconds before the general public start enquiring about how much it costs to go and live there. I know I would.
Lol perfect. Test everyone and as long as they’re clean and go through super strict isolation you’re sweet. Might even get crowds at games

Isn't the guy who runs the UFC looking into this very thing? Buying an Island so he can get the fights going again. Don't follow the sport but I'm sure my brother mentioned something about it the other night.

I saw the interview last night where he responded with the typical dull Darius look on his face stating there is “no way in hell” he’d be away from his family for 4 months.

I immediately thought of the men and women who literally sacrifice their life every day in the armed forces who are deployed for years at a time for a fraction of the pay that NRL players get.

If I was in the armed forces I’d be livid to hear this and even more pissed when I saw how disconnected with reality he looked when he said it.

Sure, the situation might not be ideal, but plenty of people have it worse off. But hey, if you don’t like it, no one is making you do it.

Can't blame him, Kayla has obviously made up her mind. Darius would probably love a month or 2 away from her, he'd probably turn in some of the best footy of his career too. Feel bad for the poor bugger.

Isn't the guy who runs the UFC looking into this very thing? Buying an Island so he can get the fights going again. Don't follow the sport but I'm sure my brother mentioned something about it the other night.

Literally Mortal Kombat.

I saw the interview last night where he responded with the typical dull Darius look on his face stating there is “no way in hell” he’d be away from his family for 4 months.

I immediately thought of the men and women who literally sacrifice their life every day in the armed forces who are deployed for years at a time for a fraction of the pay that NRL players get.

If I was in the armed forces I’d be livid to hear this and even more pissed when I saw how disconnected with reality he looked when he said it.

Sure, the situation might not be ideal, but plenty of people have it worse off. But hey, if you don’t like it, no one is making you do it.

Seriously ... you're comparing an athlete's mentality with those who serve in the armed forces ...

I thought people would just be happy that he would possibly retire early ... but no they need to kick him on the way out ...

p.s. you do realise that he is literally saying exactly what you said in the last sentence ... that if he doesn't like the requirements of the comp structure for the remainder of 2020, then he will bring forward his retirement plans

Footballers dont sign up to sacrifice their lives like people in the armed forces do. Its not a great comparison between them and sportsmen in all honesty.

giphy.gif

Seriously ... you're comparing an athlete's mentality with those who serve in the armed forces ...

I thought people would just be happy that he would possibly retire early ... but no they need to kick him on the way out ...

p.s. you do realise that he is literally saying exactly what you said in the last sentence ... that if he doesn't like the requirements of the comp structure for the remainder of 2020, then he will bring forward his retirement plans
I’m not going to debate with you or @Wolfie
about the comparison I made, as I will admit you’ve got no chance of changing my mind.

What I will say is the point I was making was that most of these blokes get paid more than the PM, yet many NRL players are so far disconnected from the reality of how us common folk live they simply don’t know how lucky they are or how many sacrifices others have to make to simply make ends meet. Never more so than in the current world we live in.

I unequivocally stand by that.

With all that said, I must be honest and say that I didn’t read the article or see the part of the interview where he said he’d retire early if this proposal went ahead.

If that’s the case, well sincerely, good on him. That’s admirable. I do wonder though if he’d do so if it meant forfeiting his salary? Maybe he already said that, I don’t know.

I’m not going to debate with you or @Wolfie
about the comparison I made, as I will admit you’ve got no chance of changing my mind.

What I will say is the point I was making was that most of these blokes get paid more than the PM, yet many NRL players are so far disconnected from the reality of how us common folk live they simply don’t know how lucky they are or how many sacrifices others have to make to simply make ends meet. Never more so than in the current world we live in.

I unequivocally stand by that.

With all that said, I must be honest and say that I didn’t read the article or see the part of the interview where he said he’d retire early if this proposal went ahead.

If that’s the case, well sincerely, good on him. That’s admirable. I do wonder though if he’d do so if it meant forfeiting his salary? Maybe he already said that, I don’t know.

I don't think there is any debate to be had really. Sportsmen just don't compare to people who are willing to lay down their lives for their countries. One lot fight for what they believe in, the others are just playing a game.

Money just doesn't come into things imo. Boyds stance is based on family, and that's more important than a game of footy. He won't be the only one either. I said it elsewhere, but I have talked to blokes who aren't that keen on moving to Sydney for 3 months or more and leaving their families behind. It's almost cruel imo and it's not what being a footy player is all about

I don't think it's as simple as that, while I can understand the players position for those against the idea, there are however people also not in the military who's employment requires them to be many weeks to months apart from their family, my own brother in law works for triathlon Australia requires him to be on the road and overseas a lot away from his kids and wife, this also occured when he competed in this sport. From a Rugby League perspective being on the road away from their family isn't anything new either, the old Kangaroo tours are a good example of that and they didn't have the modern luxuries of ways to keep in contact from long distances they do now nor were they paid the type of money we see today.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any debate to be had really. Sportsmen just don't compare to people who are willing to lay down their lives for their countries. One lot fight for what they believe in, the others are just playing a game.

Money just doesn't come into things imo. Boyds stance is based on family, and that's more important than a game of footy. He won't be the only one either. I said it elsewhere, but I have talked to blokes who aren't that keen on moving to Sydney for 3 months or more and leaving their families behind. It's almost cruel imo and it's not what being a footy player is all about

The military comparison was a bad one but there are plenty of average people that have to be away from their family for months at a time. NRL players are completely out of touch with the average punter/fan and things like this do nothing to dispel that.

One argument that could be made if guys at the top who have already had long careers and been paid handsomely, and now are in a position where they can just say “nah I don’t want to play” are being selfish to all the fringe first graders and young guys who are in far less privileged position. If enough of the guys at the top share Darius’ attitude heaps of guys on a fraction of their income will go without pay. The whole league, that gave them everything they have, may just go broke. What a nice way to say “thanks for everything” to the business that pulled Boyd out of his humble beginnings to being a multimillionaire.

Sure being in lock down for 4 months and not seeing your family is probably asking too much of the players. But “no way in hell” is a pretty undiplomatic way to answer. The guy never should have lifted his self imposed media ban.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Astro
  • Bronx48
  • Foordy
  • easybreezy
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.