Darius rules out Sydney move

One argument that could be made if guys at the top who have already had long careers and been paid handsomely, and now are in a position where they can just say “nah I don’t want to play” are being selfish to all the fringe first graders and young guys who are in far less privileged position. If enough of the guys at the top share Darius’ attitude heaps of guys on a fraction of their income will go without pay. The whole league, that gave them everything they have, may just go broke. What a nice way to say “thanks for everything” to the business that pulled Boyd out of his humble beginnings to being a multimillionaire.

Sure being in lock down for 4 months and not seeing your family is probably asking too much of the players. But “no way in hell” is a pretty undiplomatic way to answer. The guy never should have lifted his self imposed media ban.

Perfectly said.

I don't think it's as simple as that, while I can understand the players position for those against the idea, there are however people also not in the military who's employment requires them to be many weeks to months apart from their family, my own brother in law works for triathlon Australia requires him to be on the road and overseas a lot away from his kids and wife, this also occured when he competed in this sport. From a Rugby League perspective being on the road away from their family isn't anything new either, the old Kangaroo tours are a good example of that and they didn't have the modern luxuries of ways to keep in contact from long distances they do now nor were they paid the type of money we see today.
Those people willing go into that employment knowing that it will require them to be away from their families for long periods of time ... it isn't something that is forced on them after the fact

Those people willing go into that employment knowing that it will require them to be away from their families for long periods of time ... it isn't something that is forced on them after the fact
Common people including those who work within the players own club have already lost jobs since the outbreak and the majority of them didn't have a say in that result, ask them if they had to be flexible to circumstances beyond the norm for a short term period so they can keep their job for the long term would they be? I certainly would be. This is a time where everyone needs to be willing to be flexible for the good of the game, it's in the players own interests longterm to make sure the game is in the best possible position financially.

Last edited:
Players will need to sacrifice if they want to keep NRL alive. Obviously Boyd's really just there to get his last paycheck and go, but the Broncos and other clubs will need to sacrifice something if they want to continue getting paid.

It should only be for 2 or 3 months at the most anyway.

Common people including those who work within the players own club have already lost jobs since the outbreak and the majority of them didn't have a say in that result, ask them if they had to be flexible to circumstances beyond the norm for a short term period so they can keep their job for the long term would they be? I certainly would be. This is a time where everyone needs to be willing to be flexible for the good of the game, it's in the players own interests longterm to make sure the game is in the best possible position financially.

you can't force someone to spend a long period of time away from their families against their wills ... and for someone with Darius history of mental health issues, it's not only unrealistic, but potentially dangerous.

then you have the fact that people have been bitching and moaning for two years, begging Darius to either retire or simply **** off ... not they look like they may be getting what they want and they're whinging that Darius may not play on ... WTF

then you have the fact that people have been bitching and moaning for two years, begging Darius to either retire or simply **** off ... not they look like they may be getting what they want and they're whinging that Darius may not play on ... WTF
If that’s what you’ve taken from the multiple posts / posters questioning Boyd’s position on the relocation proposal, you couldn’t be further from the mark.

you can't force someone to spend a long period of time away from their families against their wills ... and for someone with Darius history of mental health issues, it's not only unrealistic, but potentially dangerous.

The Broncos nor the NRL have given any indication of forcing Darius to play on if the season does resume and I'm sure in a case like his they would be prepared to make exception for him or any other player with those serious concerns and I got no problem with that. In general what I'm talking about is the majority of players that aren't in that position and asking them to play away for a short timeframe isn't asking a lot for the longterm welfare of the game, the clubs and their own future career in the game, particularly given the amount of time they have already had so far to spend with their families which is more then they would normally have.

Last edited:
Just reading that article again it states the NRL will pay for families to relocate to join the players. Has that been confirmed or denied?

Yeah but surely it doesn't need to keep getting repeated that these are extraordinary circumstances and everyone in every walk of life is and has to undergo things they didn't sign up for. I am really sick of hearing players talk about being partners in the game, being devastated to see their assistant coaches and other club staff lose their jobs but then turn around and stomp their feet about spending 4 months away in a move that would save those staff their jobs and the game they are partners in.

Suck. It. The. ****. Up.

Who is whinging that he won't play on? Most people are stoked if this forces him into early retirement. I just don't want his shit attitude to spread to the other players.

I wouldn’t move away from my family to play just a game either

I don't think there is any debate to be had really. Sportsmen just don't compare to people who are willing to lay down their lives for their countries. One lot fight for what they believe in, the others are just playing a game.

Money just doesn't come into things imo. Boyds stance is based on family, and that's more important than a game of footy. He won't be the only one either. I said it elsewhere, but I have talked to blokes who aren't that keen on moving to Sydney for 3 months or more and leaving their families behind. It's almost cruel imo and it's not what being a footy player is all about
Was wondering if you served in the armed forces Wolfie?

Who is whinging that he won't play on? Most people are stoked if this forces him into early retirement. I just don't want his shit attitude to spread to the other players.
This is the point.

Darius, or any player for that matter, can decide they don’t want to relocate if they don’t think they could. That’s entirely their choice, but of course there would have to be consequences (eg. no pay, breach of contract etc.).

What I can’t stand is what he said and how he said it: “no chance in hell”. It epitomises the disconnect some players have between the privileged world they live in and what most other people have to do to get by normally, let alone now with the carnage COVID19 has caused.

As others have said, millions of Australians haven’t been given the choice to make adjustments in their life to continue earning their income, they’ve simply been told “this is what’s happening” or worse, let go, and are now scurrying around trying to pick up the pieces.

I don’t know, maybe I’m being too harsh. But IMO, it looked and sounded very insensitive and inconsiderate to all those people doing it incredibly tough right now.

Last edited:
This is the point.

Darius, or any player for that matter, can decide they don’t want to relocate if they don’t think they could. That’s entirely their choice, but of course there would have to be consequences (eg. no pay, breach of contract etc.).

What I can’t stand is what he said and how he said it: “no chance in hell”. It epitomises the disconnect some players have between the privileged world they live in and what most other people have to do to get by normally, let alone now with the carnage COVID19 has caused.

As others have said, millions of Australians haven’t been given the choice to make adjustments in their life to continue earning their income, they’ve simply been told “this is what’s happening” or worse, let go, and are now scurrying around trying to pick up the pieces.

I don’t know, maybe I’m being too harsh. But IMO, it looked and sounded very insensitive and inconsiderate to all those people doing it incredibly tough right now.

millions of other Australians haven’t been asked to either leave or uproot their 7 month old daughter from their support network either.

no way in hell is the precise answer he should give

millions of other Australians haven’t been asked to either leave or uproot their 7 month old daughter from their support network either.

Especially given his past mental health issues

Have you lost your job in this though? Real easy to make these big statements when it isn't actually impacting you.

I have also been fortunate to keep my job and I love my family more than anything, part of that is making sure they are provided for in anyway possible. If my employer came to me and said we have to either let you go or have you move to our Sydney office for 4 months, I am moving to the Sydney office for 4 months.

Everyone loves their family mate, some are willing to make what ever sacrifice is necessary for them.

Neither has any NRL player. The NRL has said they will pay to relocate the players families, so no uprooting necessary (a privilege most other professions being asked to relocate wouldn’t be offered).

Regardless, that’s not the point. Most NRL players are in a priveleged position where they can choose not to. Normal people, those same people not earning hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, wouldn’t have a choice.

As someone said in an earlier post; if given the choice, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think most people who currently lay awake at night wondering how they’re going to survive wouldn’t at least consider it. Indeed I would imagine most people would do it if it meant providing financial security for their family.

I’m damn sure I would if my only choices were relocate for 4 months or lose my job completely.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • lynx000
  • Lostboy
  • Foordy
  • levikaden
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Thelmus
  • Maddy
  • Xzei
  • Manlyman
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • RodF
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.