NEWS Darren Lockyer concedes Tevita Pangai Jr will be hard to retain

Just another reason why the league needs public salaries. It will soon become apparent who is and isn’t over the cap, or least it will be easier to suspect anything sus going on

**** the Roosters and their rubbery salary cap accounting. There is no way they can fit TPJ in under the cap and the NRL needs to get a forensic accountant in there if they sign TJP.

with Cronk gone, it makes sense if no one's value goes up... but they will lose players Keary, Manu, Latrell price will definitely go up - as well as their whole pack.

Broncos teammates back Tevita Pangai Jnr amid Sydney Roosters speculation

APRIL 02, 2019
The 23-year-old demolished the Cowboys in Round 2 before crashing back to earth against the Dragons but hasn’t escaped the spotlight this week with rumours Sydney will make a play for his signature next season circulating.
Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue is eager to keep his fellow front-rower at Red Hill and admitted his retention was a “big thing” for the club.
“Everyone knows what Tevita brings every weekend. He’s got a lot of skill for a big fella … so I’d just wish him all the best and I hope we keep him,” he said.
b2f9b8d4d471fa62abab4c46fbd95016

Tevita Pangai Jnr’s playing future is up in the air with the Sydney Roosters believed to have shown interest in his signature (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)
Brisbane centre Jack Bird said these were difficult circumstances for young players.
“It is hard, especially when you come into first grade and you start playing a few good games and the media starts coming to your door and all that stuff, it is hard to not read about yourself.”
“Tevita doesn't have Facebook or Instagram or all that kind of stuff so I’m not sure if he’s reading the papers or anything but it is hard as a young fella coming through because you like to know what’s being said about you.
“He had a great game last week but he’s just got to stay focused and keep his head on his shoulders and try not to think too far ahead

Source: Courier Mail

Whoever invented TPA's was thinking of TPJ. Come on Brisbane business. Get off your arse and dig deep.

Lodge the secret weapon in mission to keep Tevita

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 2 Apr 2019, 07:01 PMvia Email
Matt Lodge has emerged as the secret weapon in the Brisbane Broncos' bid to retain off-contract forward Tevita Pangai jnr on a long-term deal.
Lodge has often spoken of his desire to lead the Brisbane forward pack into a new era of success alongside the Tongan international, who he counts as one of his closest mates.
Over dinner at the duo's favourite Lebanese restaurant in Brisbane called Little Beirut, it is a hint here and a suggestion there that Lodge provides Pangai about where his future belongs.
On Tuesday after training, Lodge outlined why Pangai should stay at Brisbane and not chase a pot of gold elsewhere.
"I have been in his ear to play with me as long as he can. I hope he stays here," Lodge said.
"He has to stay consistent and play well and he will get a good deal for himself and hopefully he stays here with me. If he wants to go, I will have to come up against him one day and he doesn't want to do that so he might want to stay around.
pangait-amp-lodgem-high-5-180708700.jpg

Broncos duo Tevita Pangai (left) and Matt Lodge.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
"The lifestyle, the facilities, everything you need is here to be a good player. It's a one-team town so you don't run into the other eight teams when you are out for a feed. You get to stay in the bubble and work hard.
"Tevita is enjoying it here and if he's enjoying it he would be silly to change things. I've done that before and sometimes it doesn't work out so you are best to stick to what you know."
The Broncos want to keep 23-year-old Pangai long-term but NRL.com has reported that the club will not get into a bidding war for his services. How much the market is prepared to pay for him will become more apparent in coming weeks when Pangai's management sits down with the Broncos to nut out a new deal.
There will be headlines galore but Lodge said there was only one way for Pangai to deal with the limelight.
"My advice is to not read the media himself," Lodge said.
"He played well against the Cowboys [in round two] but no-one can back up a game like that every week. He carried the ball well but it's either the high of highs or low of lows and that's how the stories go.
"He just has to keep a level head and go about his work. He performed last week and the week before. He will do his job."
Broncos centre Jack Bird knows about hype after signing a lucrative three-year deal with the Broncos in 2018. The 2016 premiership-winner said it was vital Pangai remained at the club while warning that now was the time for the Brisbane wrecking ball to focus on the short term.
birdj-190328708-sd.jpg

Broncos centre Jack Bird.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
"He's someone we need to lock down long term," Bird said.
"He's only young and you can see what he can do, but in saying that he's got to keep his head on his shoulders and try to not look too far ahead.
"It is hard when you play first grade and play a few good games and the media come knocking on your door but Tevita doesn't have Facebook or Instragram. As a young player coming through you like to read what is being said about you. The best thing is not to look at it, good or bad, because you can either get ahead of yourself or down in the dumps."

Source: NRL.com

Sounds like Lodge wants to stay long term. I can live with that!

I like that we are not going to get into a bidding war - if true.
He and Lodge are best mates, he is also pretty close with Haas I believe. He has just moved his younger brother up to Brisbane, so hopefully we can offer him enough to stay, but to also retain our other talent coming through.
I think it is pretty important that we tie down Lodge, Fifita and Oates long term..For mine, Lodge is the leader of our pack, and hopefully he can really mature as a forward and take a leadership role within this young pack.
As for TPJ, I like the bloke, it sounds as though this year he is really trying to knuckle down, staying off socials, and not trying to get ahead of himself.
I can see the likes of Cronk, Boyd and Politis all making a phone call to TPJ to try and get him down there. Hopefully he sticks loyal and can settle down here in Brisbane.

Should never have lost him (Arrow).

Think he got moved on for carrigan, so we just need to see if he ends up being the better player before judgment.

Nah STFU Darren. Don't get all negative ,just get it done. We are meant to be a power house club too, so be one.

Nah STFU Darren. Don't get all negative ,just get it done. We are meant to be a power house club too, so be one.
Yeah, But if you think someone is trying to up their price by "shopping themselves around" then to show yourself as prepared to lose is the smart move. Also may prompt the Roosters into a lower offer.

Last edited:
I love Lodge, absolute champ. I hope he captains the club one day.

I know it's early and there might be some noise from south of the border, but if Boyd were to get injured, Lodge would be my pick to take up the reigns now. Would probably need a co captain as he is off the field for a fair bit, so maybe Glenn?

I love Lodge, absolute champ. I hope he captains the club one day.

Yep, this.

Lodge is an out and out leader. The way he has turned his life around and leads from the front, at this stage for mine he is our next captain. If I were the Broncos I would be getting him locked up long term first as the key to keeping TPJ. We need to keep Matt in Brisbane for the foreseeable future.

This is a public way of saying we're not getting in to a bidding war. As well as saying "he ain't all that yet". All good things, if TPJ is indeed just keeping his head low, staying off social media, and working hard, it'll be well received. If he already thinks he's good enough for elite money, **** him off.

I know it's early and there might be some noise from south of the border, but if Boyd were to get injured, Lodge would be my pick to take up the reigns now. Would probably need a co captain as he is off the field for a fair bit, so maybe Glenn?
Way too early. Let the bloke focus on himself for a few more years first.

No doubt that if we manage to retain him for 500-700k the media will report it as 1.3mil anyway.

With ten million dollars tipped in from the mystical thoroughbreds.

Roosters can go and **** themselves.
If the Rorters signed this guy for around 1mil, it would be an outstanding acquisition.... for the rest of the competition. I think he is as good as Taomololo...... for around 15min a game before he is too gassed to hardly be able to walk.

Maybe why guys like Macca, Glenn and Gillett are important for us for the time being. They have hardly been sitting the world on fire in attack but seemingly they have much better stamina than most of the massively hyped young guys.

with Cronk gone, it makes sense if no one's value goes up... but they will lose players Keary, Manu, Latrell price will definitely go up - as well as their whole pack.
No, no. We are talking about the Rorters here. They are always able to let go of the guys nearing the end of their careers and sign the best young players to take their place. They can do this because "they manage the salary cap really well"........ The rest of us who think they are making a mockery of the competition are just conspiracy theorists. And let's keep in mind, the amount of money their players get from TPAs is among the lowest in the competition.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.