NEWS Darren Lockyer hoping battered Matt Gillett will play on despite retirement rumours

I don't disagree BUT that said, he is the ONLY legit option for captain, therefore he needs to start.
Nothing stopping him from being the team captain... fronting the media, etc. during the week and leading them onto the field (albeit straight to the bench).

The issue at this stage is we have no captains that are clear cut starters week in and week out. Boyd and Macca should be in reggies, Gillett sounds like he's on the cusp of retirement and Glenn has been surpassed by Fifi and probably TPJ. Milf is then the only senior left that has any sort of credibility as a captain.

In saying that I actually think TPJ's deficiencies in defence will see him start from the bench and come on with Offa as a high impact prop. This could see Glenn starting at left edge with the captaincy and Fifi shifted to his preferred right side.

8. Lodge
10. Haas
11. Fifi
12. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

14. Macca (sigh), Paix, Utility/outside back
15. Flegs, but I'm sure I'm forgetting someone
16. Offa
17. TPJ (can cover second row)

Offa, TPJ and Flegs could easily be the best bench rotation in the comp.... Offa and TPJ already were back in 2017/18 coming off the bench as a tandem.

Nothing stopping him from being the team captain... fronting the media, etc. during the week and leading them onto the field (albeit straight to the bench).

The issue at this stage is we have no captains that are clear cut starters week in and week out. Boyd and Macca should be in reggies, Gillett sounds like he's on the cusp of retirement and Glenn has been surpassed by Fifi and probably TPJ. Milf is then the only senior left that has any sort of credibility as a captain.

In saying that I actually think TPJ's deficiencies in defence will see him start from the bench and come on with Offa as a high impact prop. This could see Glenn starting at left edge with the captaincy and Fifi shifted to his preferred right side.

8. Lodge
10. Haas
11. Fifi
12. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

16. Offa

Offa, TPJ and Flegs could easily be the best bench rotation in the comp.... Offa and TPJ already were back in 2017/18 coming off the bench as a tandem.
I SERIOUSLY don't get Offa.

He's a fringe player in my eyes.

8. Lodge
10. Haas
11. Fifi
12. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

16. Offa

TPJ is just so much better than Glenn in the second row. It's just dumb if Seibold doesn't play him there. We can't afford to find a place for Glenn in the backrow Tim Paine style: it's our greatest strength if we pick TPJ and Fifi there.

I SERIOUSLY don't get Offa.

He's a fringe player in my eyes.
I agree. He's bung average, seems to have slow play the ball speeds and a lot of the tries we conced up the middle are from him being lazy at marker.
[automerge]1572428670[/automerge]
TPJ is just so much better than Glenn in the second row. It's just dumb if Seibold doesn't play him there. We can't afford to find a place for Glenn in the backrow Tim Paine style: it's our greatest strength if we pick TPJ and Fifi there.
With TPJ's hamstrings, he can't play 80. Glenn to start first 30 min, then TPJ on and either glenn gets a rest or moves into the middle for 10.

Last edited:
I agree. He's bung average, seems to have slow play the ball speeds and a lot of the tries we conced up the middle are from him being lazy at marker.
[automerge]1572428670[/automerge]

With TPJ's hamstrings, he can't play 80. Glenn to start first 30 min, then TPJ on and either glenn gets a rest or moves into the middle for 10.
Yeah. I still think TPJ has a lot to offer up the middle. We just need to nail down the right structure and have a real halfback guiding the team around, straightening or attack. Milford is too lateral, always looking to make something out of nothing on every play. He needs to be 2nd string at 6

TPJ is better than Glenn in attack, but is exploited by every team when he plays on the edge.

If TPJ is as good in the second row as is thought why isn't he an automatic selection in the Tongan team. They're going with Murdoch-Masila over him FFS.

I've posted a number of times that if TPJ fixes his defence he'll become an absolute weapon... defence should be his only focus this year

Last edited:

Disagree with your opening sentence. As others have eluded to, TPJ's defence is a serious issue and will be exposed by good sides. I think it can get better, but he needs to work on it and we need to pray his hamstrings are up to it - I'm not convinced they are.

TPJ is better than Glenn in attack, but is exploited by every team when he plays on the edge.

If TPJ is as good in the second row as is thought why isn't he an automatic selection in the Tongan team. They're going with Murdoch-Masila over him FFS.

I've posted a number of times that if TPJ fixes his defence he'll become an absolute weapon... defence should be his only focus this year

Isn’t he still suspended?

I couldn’t imagine there would be many doctors that would advise to continue playing footy after breaking your neck. I hope for Gillos sake he hangs up the boots and the Broncos continue to look after him

I couldn’t imagine there would be many doctors that would advise to continue playing footy after breaking your neck. I hope for Gillos sake he hangs up the boots and the Broncos continue to look after him
Prior to this year, his defensive reads ansd first contact was a key component to his game. His knowledge would be very valuable to our young second rowers as there is question marks over their defence. Hopefully he is involved in at least a consultancy role.

So, I'm confused. It sounds like Sam Burgess and Gillett are announcing their retirement before the NRL has approved their salary to not be on the cap.

If they retire, are the clubs actually required to pay them? I know the clubs should do the right thing. But legally speaking, if someone is retiring, surely that means you don't pay them...

Glad he’s retiring, I like the bloke, but he hasn’t been the same since the neck injury and he was basically a passenger last season. Hopefully this also means we can use that money for Fifita, Glenn and Croft, then we‘ve only got the blights of Macca and Boyd, but hopefully the rest of these guys can compensate for them, and/or they see limited game time.

Matt’s retirement will be a sad day but I feel his salary should be excused and paid out as insurance.

Sam Burgess already had stuffed shoulders when he signed that contract, so probably should be included in part.

Matt will be announcing his retirement at 10am.

Active Now

• Broncos Maestro
  • Broncorob
  • Alec
  • Maddy
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • Allo
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  • NSW stables
  • jarro65
  • broncs30
  • Battler
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.