Darren Lockyer

Russo said:
We will have one more year of Locky in 2009 where he also helps the coaching team, before he moves into an assistant coach role in 2010 and then the main coach role in 2011.

cant see Lockyer being head coach in 2011, no chance of that, I think maybe an assistance role.

Moon said:
Russo said:
We will have one more year of Locky in 2009 where he also helps the coaching team, before he moves into an assistant coach role in 2010 and then the main coach role in 2011.

cant see Lockyer being head coach in 2011, no chance of that, I think maybe an assistance role.

We'll see Moon, may in fact even get the top gig half way through 2010 if Henjak doesn't cut it and we are struggling [icon_wink . I will save this conversation to quote it in 2011 icon_thumbs_u

Will Ben Hunt even still be a Bronco in a few years? Chances are he'll get big offers from everywhere.

I don't think we will know how good Wallace really is until Lockyer goes. Wallace and Hunt in the halves will be devastating IMO. Hunt is more of a ball running 5/8th but he can throw a pass and has a good short kicking game.. We will be sweet when Lockyer goes. We won't know who can fill his boots until they are empty!

Beads6 said:
I don't think we will know how good Wallace really is until Lockyer goes.

True, but on an early positive note, he handled the start of the year very well in Lockyer's absence. Being only his second year of first grade, hopefully he'll turn into a gem in few years time.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
Beads6 said:
I don't think we will know how good Wallace really is until Lockyer goes.

True, but on an early positive note, he handled the start of the year very well in Lockyer's absence. Being only his second year of first grade, hopefully he'll turn into a gem in few years time.

That is what my money is on!! Wallace is a GUN only time will tell how good he will become

I've followed the Broncos for 6 years now, so I don't know how he would act before, but I've never seen Lockyer react the way he did after that loss.

I don't know what we're going to do after he's gone. Now THAT will be a sad day!

| * kelsey * | said:
I've followed the Broncos for 6 years now, so I don't know how he would act before, but I've never seen Lockyer react the way he did after that loss.

I don't know what we're going to do after he's gone. Now THAT will be a sad day!

Oh i totally agree with you. That was terrible to see Lockyer so devastated. It really hurt.
The day Lockyer is gone will be terrible. [icon_thumbs_do

For what it's worth, I think Russo is spot on with his call on Lockyer coaching in a few years time.

Henjak is an interim coach, and this is coming from a Henjak supporter!

I like what I've seen of him, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw even more players pack up and leave over the next couple of seasons. I have no doubt that Bennett has given a couple of players a "give me a call" type tap on the shoulder since his signing at St George.

With Henjak there, I just don't see there being the same level of loyalty at the club as we've seen in the past.

Lockyer as coach will change that. I think we'll see players coming to the Broncos just to play under him, much like Bennett. Unfortunately, we won't see players coming to the Broncos just to play under Henjak. That's through no fault of his own. He has some big boots to fill, and he's only a little fella.

We don't even know if Locky would be a great coach though.

Nashy said:
I think this season more than ever, the Broncos have shown that they still rely solely on Lockyer to pull them out of a tight situation.
most teams have a player like that they turn to when they need some inspiration. Hopefully Peter Wallace keeps growing as a ball player cause i think he will be that player when Locky retires.

m1c said:
Big call, but Hunt will be a better ball player than Lockyer. He is the man the lead us into the future once Locky goes.

It's not a big call it's a stupid call.

I'm afraid Hunt doesn't have the passing skills to be that m1c.

There are two types of players; the gifted and the hard working.

Berrigan is an example of the hard working.
Hunt is NOT an example of the gifted. He is great and will be for some time. However, he won't be able to increase his skill level with ball in hand.

Its been hard for any player to stand up when you have lockyer on the field, you do what he asks, because of who he is , When he was out at the beginging we had others stepping up and making decisions and acting on them eg wallace, since lockyers back, wallace has played a more servicing role......This is where we are going to miss ennis the only player who can make decisioins and go on insticts when lockyer says other wise..
(same with st george but not in the same league)barrett was nothing untill mundine left because barrett did what mundine wanted

I think a great deal of the future will revolve around Falou. Having an outside back that can finish what a quality playmaker starts is a huge part of a teams scoring capabilities. We saw that in the SOO and we saw it with Kemp this year. If we have an outside back that is great under the high ball it will help us an enormous amount both in attack and defence. With Locky, then Wallace and hunt kicking for falou I think we will see a lot more tries and with falou in defence we willsee a lot less tries let in. perhaps this will be the start of team work at the Broncos that we only see every now and again. We have been in one form or another a one man band for almost 21 years, so perhaps with a real quality finisher and not a hugely dominating force in the halves like locky, we might gradually move towards more team work.

Yep. Folau is a bit of an X-factor.

I hope, but don't expect, Henjak puts Hodges on notice. Start Folau on the right wing, but if Hodges doesn't perform he'll be dropped and Folau into right centre.

Similarly, I doubt it will happen but I'd like to see Hodges miss the Australian team for the World Cup. Not only does he not deserve to make it (for reasons stated by others in League Talk), but it might make him realise that he can no longer survive on name alone.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Broncorob
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncos Maestro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.