Darren Lockyer

Didn't we cop like 3 really dodgy penalties in a row at the start? One I remember was a typical Thaiday one where he got nudged in the back, milked it, and we got penalised for a bad play the ball?
I just read the live game thread and judging from all the salt I was spewing both their opening tries came off three tough calls.

I don't think it was one of them, but from memory Ballin's try came off a dodgy play the ball. Galuvao was just about facing the sidelines when he played the ball.

Not to mention we could've played Hunt or Norman in the halves to give us a better chance.

Love Gillo to bits and then some and while he played well, I think playing him out of position was a big mistake. Thanks Hook

Tarnished his rep by going into the boardroom......champion player...one of the best..... Cant even watch the bloke on tv...or listen to his fuckin drivel...gives wendell a run for his money as an abslute fuckwit...wendell has him covered though
Whats wrong with Wendell?

Is there any games in particular I should watch where he just controls and wins the game for us

I just read the live game thread and judging from all the salt I was spewing both their opening tries came off three tough calls.

I don't think it was one of them, but from memory Ballin's try came off a dodgy play the ball. Galuvao was just about facing the sidelines when he played the ball.
I’m almost certain Watmough was able to play the ball, very very quickly, close to our line thanks to being permitted to play it at 45 degrees. Happy days.

I remember being livid at the time and knowing that no matter what, we weren’t winning that game.

The greatest of all time. I can't believe he is never in the conversation Yet JT and Smith are. He was miles better than them.
They just completely disregard his efforts in origin and substitute Cronk in, even though Lockyer was captain and first picked for 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11.

Yes Cronk was there for wins after Lockyer, but Lockyer started the show and QLD were absolutely rolling by his retirement with Billy, JT and CS9 well established stars by the time Cronk came into the team

They just completely disregard his efforts in origin and substitute Cronk in, even though Lockyer was captain and first picked for 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11.

Yes Cronk was there for wins after Lockyer, but Lockyer started the show and QLD were absolutely rolling by his retirement with Billy, JT and CS9 well established stars by the time Cronk came into the team
Cronk was massively over rated

Cronk was massively over rated
Over rated might be a bit much.

He was very good, but he has absolutely no right to be getting mentioned in the same breath as Lockyer and should be well down the list of possible immortals from that era.

Lockyer and CS9 are the only certainties from the era.

I think JT getting placed in immorral status is a bit much when you consider he effectively only won one premiership. One was from the bench and the other was because Broncos bottled it with a minute to go.

Even Billy getting mentioned as an immortal is a bit much considering Karmichael was getting picked ahead of him for origin.

Once Lockyer was picked for origin I cant recall him being demoted from fullback or five eight... may have been the same for Australian team selections.

Lockyer was basically the first man picked on every team sheet he qualified for (Broncos, Qld and Aust) from the point of his starting debut until he retired

Last edited:
Lockyer had the most calming aura of any sportsmen I’ve experienced. Even when his teams where losing it seemed like it was part of his script.
Another who was like that was Kevin Walters. I still clearly remember KW, after a loss cheekily grinning during the after game interview. He simply looked up, unbowed or beaten and declared " it's on again next week ". The way he said that, well it just screamed to the world, **** today, we'll be back in the fight next round. Never really beaten. That's our coach.

Another who was like that was Kevin Walters. I still clearly remember KW, after a loss cheekily grinning during the after game interview. He simply looked up, unbowed or beaten and declared " it's on again next week ". The way he said that, well it just screamed to the world, **** today, we'll be back in the fight next round. Never really beaten. That's our coach.
I reckon replicating some (not all) of that attitude will be a challenge for Walters as a coach. Coaches tend to shoulder far more of the responsibility & stress for bad results than players.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • broncsgoat
  • Emanon
  • Dexter
  • BroncosAlways
  • Kev_Guz
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Astro
  • Howie
  • Ironbroncos
  • KickHaas
  • Rookie Alan
  • johnny plath
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.