THE BOSS Dave Donaghy - Broncos CEO

We still made the finals though and it wasn't as shit this year, and something is being done.
Some teams have gone through this shit for years, just a perspective is needed imo

And hopefully the problems are addressed, but so far they haven’t been.

Our squad is ordinary, we’re going to get the wooden spoon, we’ve lost our best talent, our coaching is rubbish and our front office is a complete mess and has no boss...

Hence my describing the club as a basket case.

And hopefully the problems are addressed, but so far they haven’t been.

Our squad is ordinary, we’re going to get the wooden spoon, we’ve lost our best talent, our coaching is rubbish and our front office is a complete mess and has no boss...

Hence my describing the club as a basket case.
Wooden spooners with no coach, no ceo and our brightest prospect leaving for our nearest rivals...

Confirmed basket case

Not just on the field, but off it as well. Did this roster’s issues just arrive this year? Have these sh*thouse player / coaching contracts started in the last 12 months?

58 blot in a semi-final last year and the club does nothing. 59 blot this year and the club still does nothing.

Have we been professional on previous coaching selections? The ones where White / Lockyer didn’t even turn up to some of the interviews?

How about our accountability for our poor decisions? Or complete lack thereof. They couldn’t even find the wherewithal to sack Pies, let alone a single player in the club. They had to negotiate him voluntarily standing aside...

The talk for years about how things are going to be fixed, but nothing has...

This enough to qualify as a basket-case?
No , only if we **** it up again. I seriously think there's a little bit of overreacting going on.

Every club buys their way out of trouble. It's a business.

It's not mutually exclusive, we can be a basket case and decide enough is enough and get the best people to run the club.

Buying our way out of trouble would be great. So when are these signings with huge amounts of cash, ie: to spend our way out of trouble, actually happening?

We half-heartedly chased Bellamy and failed. We buy a failed Storm half as our sole non-depth signing in 2 years and that appears to be a massive failure by virtue of our club not even picking him now (admittedly for good reason) when he is fully fit...

We pay massive contracts to players and coaches who are not worth it. We pay horrible “coaches” $1.5m to leave because we can’t find enough of a spine to actually sack them, and perhaps thereby admit a mistake.

Hence the inept comment. We spend money like drunken idiots and achieve 2/5ths of f*ckall for it.

And then the people in charge refuse to admit any mistakes on their own behalf... People wonder why the squad clearly doesn’t give a shit. Does anyone at all in the club?

Last edited:
I get that, I'm literally clinging onto any kind of positivity or hope where it exists.

This is something that should have been sorted out last year. I understand that COVID may have made things difficult, but everybody knew heading into the pre-season that Paul White was finishing up. Surely it doesn't take six months to find your ideal candidate, if anything they should have had a few in mind before White publically announced his intention to leave. Then when this season began to unravel, you could have announced the CEO and changed the conversation to 2021 or even 2022.

As it currently stands, the Broncos appear to be a bunch of headless chooks exploring every avenue for a new CEO. In this industry you can't be this indecisive, if you can't arrive at a big decision in a quick enough time you've got to go.

What is embarrassing is being based in Melbourne for 22 years and having barely a noteworthy player from the city your based in.

Storm are parasites, ransack their whole club I say.

John Ribot. Love that Midnight Oil song, 'Short memory'. Their whole system was poached from us. They have so many spies throughout Qld that I swear they hired, 'little finger'. Broncos incorporated is an ongoing enterprise. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villian. Wheels turn. Melbourne, like us, will experience hardship.

This is something that should have been sorted out last year. I understand that COVID may have made things difficult, but everybody knew heading into the pre-season that Paul White was finishing up. Surely it doesn't take six months to find your ideal candidate, if anything they should have had a few in mind before White publically announced his intention to leave. Then when this season began to unravel, you could have announced the CEO and changed the conversation to 2021 or even 2022.

As it currently stands, the Broncos appear to be a bunch of headless chooks exploring every avenue for a new CEO. In this industry you can't be this indecisive, if you can't arrive at a big decision in a quick enough time you've got to go.
It’s almost as if the chairman doesn’t know what he is doing...

It’s common practice to be taxed with finding your own replacement in certain situations. Apparently not ours.

The moment White announced he was moving on was the time to begin the replacement process - not at this point. It’s ridiculous and totally unacceptable.

Comments today nominating our current situation (although reported coming from the Storm) as toxic is close. Our recruitment slash retention is poor, no succession plan, not only for players but coaching and administration staff as well. Or so it appears.

It’s both sad and laughable that the front runners for arguably our two most important jobs (CEO and NRL Head Coach) haven’t held those positions before - anywhere.

We need help and urgently. I really don’t know where that will come from. I assume that's a part of Morris’s tenure but as he has presided over our current ungainly mess I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
So the CM is reporting that Dave Donaghy has a non compete clause in his Storm contract and can't negotiate with the club until January 31 next year.

Matt Tripp has threatened the club with legal action if they breach this clause.

here are Tripp's comments:

“This is not the way I run a business,” Tripp said.

“We will be enforcing our contract with Dave and if the Broncos are up for a legal stoush, then tell them to get ready — I’m all for it.

“I’m not going to sit back and allow the Broncos, who think they are the 500-pound gorilla in every room they walk into, to try and bully the Melbourne Storm by cherrypicking our chief executive.

“Dave can’t speak to them (the Broncos) until January 31, that’s why contracts are there and we will protect our ‘IP’ (Intellectual Property) fiercely from the Broncos.

“When you try and impersonate someone ... impersonators are generally frauds, they are impostors and they get found out.

“Some of our shareholders are worked up over this.”

“I will work with Dave and his family to overcome the desire to head back to Queensland too quickly,” he said.

“He has done so much hard work at the Storm and he is about to go to the next level in terms of what we can with the revenue we have generated.

“To my mind, Dave will take us through the next exciting phase of our football club.

“That hasn’t changed off the back of the Broncos making a play for him.

“The Broncos board should be strung up for saying Melbourne are doing it right in these areas, let’s just go after their people.

“They have such a big rugby league area to pick from ... to mess up the virtual monopoly they have (in Queensland) is embarrassing.”

p.s. lol at the bolded ... that's exactly what a business should do ... identify people who have been successful and head hunt the best

p.s. the problem with Matt Tripp constantly speaking to the media is he let things slip, from a comment he made, it sounds like Donaghy may want to return to QLD.

unfortunately for Donaghy i doubt the club will wait until Feb 1 next year to negotiate with him ... they'll move on to their second choice

p.s. the problem with Matt Tripp constantly speaking to the media is he let things slip, from a comment he made, it sounds like Donaghy may want to return to QLD.

unfortunately for Donaghy i doubt the club will wait until Feb 1 next year to negotiate with him ... they'll move on to their second choice

Exactly, Broncs will call the Storm's bluff. If Dave wants to take up the role, he will have the role. This is what Tripp needs to say to look tough.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Howie
  • Shane Tronc
  • simplythebest
  • Scdeac
  • Aldo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Jedhead
  • Allo
  • ezpz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Robboi_321
  • Financeguy
  • mrtij
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.