NEWS David Fifita ‘locked in a Bali jail cell’ after alleged assault

So after spending the weekend making out Fifita was a thug who bashed someone now ch7 are saying he won’t be in trouble with the Integrity Unit because he has been the victim of a scam. Classic journalism.

My apologies, the fault lies with me not understanding your point. I see what you are saying now, and I see the validity of your argument. Yes, I would agree there is an inconsistency in treating a criminal offence of being of lesser severity than an integrity offence, but does it not ultimately come down to how the governing body and the club view the respective breaches? If they regard an integrity offence of failing to assist the integrity unit as being a more fundamental strike at the game's reputation, are they necessarily wrong for holding that view?

What about my other point, the actions of NAS seem to be more serious in terms of the extent and degree of violence involved, the potential for physical harm that may have occurred compared to the actions of Fifita. NAS got a suspended $15,000 fine and three test matches. Given that recent precedent, does not a suspension of 1-2 games for Fifita with or without a small fine with him having to fund the compensation to the victim seem like appropriate punishment to you?
You have a point with the NAS incident and I concede I'm not across all the facts. Others have said he was coming to the defence of a team mate and if true, the sentence may seem hard but otherwise you have a point.
Then again it will be the broncos once again setting the penalty which was in excess of one set by the Nrl in the Haas incident, and may be so again.
It is not my intention to pick on fiffita but to address the concern of a potential for a lack of consistency with the punishment. He has to be addressed with regard to the circumstances that led him to this predicament. He needs to learn from this as do all the junior members of the team. That they haven't already about how seemingly minor incidences can major repercussions when done so in public would astonish me if I didn't follow rugby league.
Our sport needs to minimise these incidents because they paint everyone who has played it as drunken thugs who disrespect the rest of society. The truth is some of the best people I know have played the game, and some at a very high level. Everytime something like this comes out, it pours dross on their reputations. This wasn't fiffita's intention and the incident has been blown out of all proportion but that doesn't change the result.

You have a point with the NAS incident and I concede I'm not across all the facts. Others have said he was coming to the defence of a team mate and if true, the sentence may seem hard but otherwise you have a point.
Then again it will be the broncos once again setting the penalty which was in excess of one set by the Nrl in the Haas incident, and may be so again.
It is not my intention to pick on fiffita but to address the concern of a potential for a lack of consistency with the punishment. He has to be addressed with regard to the circumstances that led him to this predicament. He needs to learn from this as do all the junior members of the team. That they haven't already about how seemingly minor incidences can major repercussions when done so in public would astonish me if I didn't follow rugby league.
Our sport needs to minimise these incidents because they paint everyone who has played it as drunken thugs who disrespect the rest of society. The truth is some of the best people I know have played the game, and some at a very high level. Everytime something like this comes out, it pours dross on their reputations. This wasn't fiffita's intention and the incident has been blown out of all proportion but that doesn't change the result.
Completely agree with this, great post.

Off topic but the above conversation is why I signed up and continue to be a part of BHQ. Quality discussion beyond the surface level junk that infiltrates social media.

The off season is always boring but at least I've got BHQ to keep me entertained. I would be pulling my hair out if I had to discuss our team with the Facebook Bronx 4 eva types.

It sounds as though White is pretty confident that Fifita's version of events differ largely from the "victims" statement and what the media has reported.
It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, if he in fact was scammed/framed.

It sounds as though White is pretty confident that Fifita's version of events differ largely from the "victims" statement and what the media has reported.
It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, if he in fact was scammed/framed.

wouldn’t be surprised if old mate security guard was standing just out of frame holding his hand up for a high five and that’s why Fifita reached out.

wouldn’t be surprised if old mate security guard was standing just out of frame holding his hand up for a high five and that’s why Fifita reached out.
Verrrrry similar to what I was thinking. It could have been as sinister as a high five and old mate has done something therefore Fifita has wanted to jump off the motorbike.
The whole thing smells funny

If there’s anything to be learned from all this is that you don’t wear clothing that’ll attract the locals.

It’s why you don’t go there, they’re constantly looking for a sucker to milk.

It’s why you don’t go there, they’re constantly looking for a sucker to milk.
I’ve been there four times and never had any trouble. I’ve always had someone with me though I guess.

Off topic but the above conversation is why I signed up and continue to be a part of BHQ. Quality discussion beyond the surface level junk that infiltrates social media.

The off season is always boring but at least I've got BHQ to keep me entertained. I would be pulling my hair out if I had to discuss our team with the Facebook Bronx 4 eva types.
And you guys do a great job of keeping those "types" off this page. If they can't spell or like to use words such as "plastic" or "hater" then they are not worth listening to.

Last edited:
Fifita cleared by the NRL integrity unit. Faces no punishment. Cue the absolute butt hurt from the NSW journos and other fans
Club Statement
The Brisbane Broncos have welcomed the NRL’s decision not to take any action against David Fifita in relation to last month’s alleged incident in Bali.

The NRL found the actions of the Broncos were appropriate in the circumstances, after the NRL Integrity Unit found evidence relating to the incident outside a Bali nightclub was “inconclusive”.

Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White welcomed the NRL’s decision, and confirmed the Broncos would not be handing down any club-based penalty to Fifita.

Mr White said the club had cooperated fully with the Integrity Unit as soon as the issue came to light, with all players and club officials involved in the incident participating in lengthy interviews, and willingly providing a range of material including mobile phone records.

“We are satisfied with the NRL’s decision on this matter – David will pull on a Broncos jersey to play Round 1 and we feel that is a fair result for him and for the club,” said Mr White.

“We trust David’s version of events in that he did not commit an assault, but we understand that the Integrity Unit had a job to do. We have respected that process from the very start and cooperated every step of the way.

“As a club, our main focus was to ensure David returned home safely and we were able to work together to achieve that – and the NRL has found that we acted appropriately in at-times challenging circumstances.”

In the interests of corporate governance, the Brisbane Broncos Board also commissioned an independent review of the club’s handling of the incident, including the actions of the players and club officials involved.

The review, conducted by an independent Brisbane law firm, also endorsed the club’s handling of the issue – and that report was handed on to the Integrity Unit as part of the investigation.

Mr White said the club would take time to consider the Integrity Unit’s report on the matter before making any further comment.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Here we go. We are nearly back to being hated by absolutely everyone. Not a bad thing imo. Jurnos are gonna write some shit about this, no doubt.
cant wait for big Davey to resign for another 3yrs, that should be the icing on the cake 🤞

Last edited:

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Browny
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • Hurrijo
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.