NEWS David Fifita ‘locked in a Bali jail cell’ after alleged assault

I wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse or you genuinely do not get it. It is not what value I put on anything or what I consider in a contest between the well-being of my family etc.

From the perspective of Haas' employer and the governing body of the sport he plays to earn his substantial income, they view a failure to participate in an ongoing investigation by the integrity unit as a very serious matter. Haas made a personal choice of putting his family above his obligations to his employer and the governing body. A fair percentage of people will say that was a correct decision, others will disagree, but it warranted punishment.

Now Fifita, if he was to now refuse to assist the Integrity Unit fully in their investigation of his incident, it would be a like for like case warranting similar punishment.

A 19 year old, getting on the piss and making a stupid split second decision in the nature of a prank in my view of a spectrum of offences falls short of the actions of Haas and also falls short of the conduct of NAS three weeks earlier. Hence, a lesser penalty is justified.

It is not his cooperation with the integrity unit that gets him a lesser penalty, it is the nature of his offence. Or do you believe that if you get done for shoplifting that warrants the imposition of the same penalty as for assault occasioning grievous bodily harm? Does that make my position clear for you?
If the IU can substantiate that he physically assaulted someone, even if the charges are dropped via a settlement then I think he will miss some games. He should miss them too even with some mitigating factors such as youth and first offence aside.

I wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse or you genuinely do not get it. It is not what value I put on anything or what I consider in a contest between the well-being of my family etc.

From the perspective of Haas' employer and the governing body of the sport he plays to earn his substantial income, they view a failure to participate in an ongoing investigation by the integrity unit as a very serious matter. Haas made a personal choice of putting his family above his obligations to his employer and the governing body. A fair percentage of people will say that was a correct decision, others will disagree, but it warranted punishment.

Now Fifita, if he was to now refuse to assist the Integrity Unit fully in their investigation of his incident, it would be a like for like case warranting similar punishment.

A 19 year old, getting on the piss and making a stupid split second decision in the nature of a prank in my view of a spectrum of offences falls short of the actions of Haas and also falls short of the conduct of NAS three weeks earlier. Hence, a lesser penalty is justified.

It is not his cooperation with the integrity unit that gets him a lesser penalty, it is the nature of his offence. Or do you believe that if you get done for shoplifting that warrants the imposition of the same penalty as for assault occasioning grievous bodily harm? Does that make my position clear for you?
But isn't that precisely the point. 1 is a criminal action, the other a failure to follow procedure in an investigation of a matter involving persons not directly involved in the Nrl itself. Bearing in mind that both the club and Nrl affirmed in media interviews that he did NOT engage in any physical violence.
What this says is a sanction upheld in laws is less in terms of suspension than an action that is purely procedural to the Nrl itself. So long as fiffita cooperates.
One is based purely on his employer's contractual obligations placed upon him and in no way subject to further sanction, the other a criminal act committed in a foreign country, that brings not only his contractual obligation into play, but also diminishes through it, the club's brand, the Nrl brand, and our national reputation.
You would argue the two are not related because one focuses on cooperation with a league entity, the other not, yet both are by their nature violations of just that.
No player is sanctioned to commit assault (no matter how minor). Being inebriated doesn't excuse it, nor are there any mitigating factors other than its minor nature.
In fiffita's defence, the action committed is MINOR. But it remains a criminal action. That is why.

But isn't that precisely the point. 1 is a criminal action, the other a failure to follow procedure in an investigation of a matter involving persons not directly involved in the Nrl itself. Bearing in mind that both the club and Nrl affirmed in media interviews that he did NOT engage in any physical violence.
What this says is a sanction upheld in laws is less in terms of suspension than an action that is purely procedural to the Nrl itself. So long as fiffita cooperates.
One is based purely on his employer's contractual obligations placed upon him and in no way subject to further sanction, the other a criminal act committed in a foreign country, that brings not only his contractual obligation into play, but also diminishes through it, the club's brand, the Nrl brand, and our national reputation.
You would argue the two are not related because one focuses on cooperation with a league entity, the other not, yet both are by their nature violations of just that.
No player is sanctioned to commit assault (no matter how minor). Being inebriated doesn't excuse it, nor are there any mitigating factors other than its minor nature.
In fiffita's defence, the action committed is MINOR. But it remains a criminal action. That is why.

This is what I couldnt comprehend with the Haas situation. He got suspended for not talking to the integrity unit, yet when he gets caught on his phone driving unlicensed, nothing. It's completely baffling.

So has it been confirmed he only took the one shirt to Bali with him?

@Smokin' Joe I dearly hope you make sure the boys hang a mountain of shit on him for this, with regards from BroncosHQ

Last edited:
My apologies, the fault lies with me not understanding your point. I see what you are saying now, and I see the validity of your argument. Yes, I would agree there is an inconsistency in treating a criminal offence of being of lesser severity than an integrity offence, but does it not ultimately come down to how the governing body and the club view the respective breaches? If they regard an integrity offence of failing to assist the integrity unit as being a more fundamental strike at the game's reputation, are they necessarily wrong for holding that view?

What about my other point, the actions of NAS seem to be more serious in terms of the extent and degree of violence involved, the potential for physical harm that may have occurred compared to the actions of Fifita. NAS got a suspended $15,000 fine and three test matches. Given that recent precedent, does not a suspension of 1-2 games for Fifita with or without a small fine with him having to fund the compensation to the victim seem like appropriate punishment to you?

So he has been released after a peace agreement (Bali talk for payout). 3 days in lock up for a slap on the head. I hope the Fifitas see what the club did for him here and the kid learnt a valuable lesson.

A friend tried to bring him a bag of beers while he was in jail. Police said no.

Seems as though he doesn't have the best people around him.

Bali police clear David Fifita
for return home to Australia

Chris Honnery,
The Daily Telegraph
November 11, 2019 2:47pm

Broncos star David Fifita has been released from a Bali police station and is now expected to fly home to Brisbane later on Monday. Fifita was detained inside a Kuta police station for the past two days following the alleged assault of a nightclub security guard in the early hours of Saturday morning.

David Fifita has been released from a Bali police station. Picture: Adam Head

David Fifita has been released from a Bali police station. Picture: Adam Head

The 19-year-old and his victim, 33-year-old Dani Irawan, were able to come to a “peace agreement” late Sunday afternoon which has allowed Fifita to walk free. Fifita will now be sent home on the next available flight to Brisbane to be with his family.

Fifita came to a ‘peace agreement’ at Kuta Police Station with the local security guard. Picture: Supplied

Fifita came to a ‘peace agreement’ at Kuta Police Station with the local security guard. Picture: Supplied

My apologies, the fault lies with me not understanding your point. I see what you are saying now, and I see the validity of your argument. Yes, I would agree there is an inconsistency in treating a criminal offence of being of lesser severity than an integrity offence, but does it not ultimately come down to how the governing body and the club view the respective breaches? If they regard an integrity offence of failing to assist the integrity unit as being a more fundamental strike at the game's reputation, are they necessarily wrong for holding that view?

What about my other point, the actions of NAS seem to be more serious in terms of the extent and degree of violence involved, the potential for physical harm that may have occurred compared to the actions of Fifita. NAS got a suspended $15,000 fine and three test matches. Given that recent precedent, does not a suspension of 1-2 games for Fifita with or without a small fine with him having to fund the compensation to the victim seem like appropriate punishment to you?
Couple of games seems fair.
4 game suspension for Haas was unjust. Haas in Bali would have been torn between his instinct to remain silent if questioned without a lawyer, protect his football family, and his previous experience of being punished for non cooperation with investigations. Broncos made good decision signing Haas long term. Other players going forward are going to want to be in the same locker room.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • Mark H
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Redux
  • Strop
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.