OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't agree about your views on Fifita. Vive la differance!

To determine priorities in this context might infer ignoring those you consider are a lesser priority.
He's a matchwinner for sure, but I don't see David as a leader of men. His relationship with his mother is a symptom of that. You get the impression he's not even his own boss.

Last edited:
He's a matchwinner for sure, but I don't see David as a leader of men. His relationship with his mother is a symptom of that. You get the impression he's not even his own boss.
Dude he’s 20.
If his dad was guiding him would that be less offensive to his “manhood and maturity”?
I have no issue with these young guys getting advice from people who have their best interests at heart (Kalyn for eg) compared to maggots like player agents.

Last edited:
I must say I've found it odd that since basically his off season incident in Bali that he's all but disappeared from any leadership conversations, at least publicly any way - and it's not as though we haven't been scratching around for guys to put their hand up in this regard all season.

It's an odd turnaround because whilst I agree with you that on the surface level he doesn't appear to present as much of a leader, it's been well covered in here by @1910 and I'm sure others as well that are familiar with things behind closed doors that Fifita has been very much so a leader amongst his peers, and that's before you even consider he's been the Queensland U18's Captain and he was also the Captain of the Kangaroos U23's side at the end of last season too.

Last edited:
I must say I've found it odd that since basically his off season incident in Bali that he's all but disappeared from any leadership conversations, at least publicly any way - and it's not as though we haven't been scratching around for guys to put their hand up in this regard all season.

It's an odd turnaround because whilst I agree with you that on the surface level he doesn't appear to present as much of a leader, it's been well covered in here by @1910 and I'm sure others as well that are familiar with things behind closed doors that Fifita has been very much so a leader amongst his peers, and that's before you even consider he's been the Queensland U18's Captain and he was also the Captain of the Kangaroos U23's side at the end of last season too.

Good points. He is also inspirational by his deeds on the field. Good leaders: actions speak louder than words. He will mature

Good points. He is also inspirational by his deeds on the field. Good leaders: actions speak louder than words. He will mature
That's the interesting and often elusive thing about leadership though isn't it. Payne Haas realistically couldn't possibly be a better leader with his on field deeds than he already is, and yet he's basically never featured in any of these discussions about leaders at the club.

Fifita's on field contributions aside though, people who are much closer to the players than we are have certainly been of the opinion that there is an genuine leader in Fifita that maybe isn't that obvious to the public.

young guys should just be worrying bout playing well rather than push them into leadership rolls let it develop organically.

That's the interesting and often elusive thing about leadership though isn't it. Payne Haas realistically couldn't possibly be a better leader with his on field deeds than he already is, and yet he's basically never featured in any of these discussions about leaders at the club.

Fifita's on field contributions aside though, people who are much closer to the players than we are have certainly been of the opinion that there is an genuine leader in Fifita that maybe isn't that obvious to the public.
I think Haas is in the leadership group??

I'd say Fifita would've joined him except it came out just after the Bali incident.

young guys should just be worrying bout playing well rather than push them into leadership rolls let it develop organically.
Some 20 year old guys already have it organically, that's the point. From people who are in and around the club and Origin setups that's exactly what Fifita was able to demonstrate even as a teenager.

Last edited:
We will lose Fifita, I am sure of this now, most likely Dearden too.

What White and Co have done to this club is absolutely disgraceful and we will take a decade to recover, if at all. At least the shareholders are happy at the moment though...

Reactions: Dee
Dude he’s 20.
If his dad was guiding him would that be less offensive to his “manhood and maturity”?
I have no issue with these young guys getting advice from people who have their best interests at heart (Kalyn for eg) compared to maggots like player agents.
It's not offensive to respect your parents, or to try to please them, of course not. But, if you've been following the history of his negotiations you'll know what I'm talking about. He's been using the excuse: I'll do whatever my mother wants. And yes, he is 20, not 15.
[automerge]1592784313[/automerge]

Payne might well become a leader like Lazarus and Webke. Maybe even captain one day. But I think he's the type who will build a history of respect rather than someone who'll bark orders from a young age. Carrigan seems like a level head, a bit smarter than your average player, but he's still very wet behind the ears. He looks like a future captain to me, but how do you take orders from someone who's only played a handful of games, mostly off the bench?

Last edited:
It's not offensive to respect your parents, or to try to please them, of course not. But, if you've been following the history of his negotiations you'll know what I'm talking about. He's been using the excuse: I'll do whatever my mother wants. And yes, he is 20, not 15.
I'm not sure he doesn't play some of that stuff up to give the public an understanding of the regard he hold's his Mum in and how important she is in his life both personally and professionally. I don't doubt it's mostly based in fact, but I suspect the relationship is probably a little more two way than he discusses publicly.

In truth, I doubt very much that he just does whatever he's told without question. How many 20 year old men ever do exactly what they're told by someone else, even their parents?

Last edited:
Mum shaming? Wow.

I look forward to Fifi signing for 12M shortly and then us doing this again for next year

Or maybe the Broncs will do a Civo-Clinton style swap and Roosters get Fifita and Broncs get Liu. Seems about the competence level at present.

Or maybe the Broncs will do a Civo-Clinton style swap and Roosters get Fifita and Broncs get Liu. Seems about the competence level at present.

I hate that this is a very real possibility.

Normally this proposition is laughable but instead it filled me with dread.

We will lose Fifita, I am sure of this now, most likely Dearden too.

What White and Co have done to this club is absolutely disgraceful and we will take a decade to recover, if at all. At least the shareholders are happy at the moment though...
I think he will resign for one year. My basis for this thought is the knee operation. I understand they decided to use the lockdown time to get it done and that he could have played on. Would we have done this if we weren't confident he will be here next year. I think there is a one year deal then a bigger long term deal in the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • TimWhatley
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.