OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fan I want Fifita to stay but as David Fifita, I'd vote with my feet and walk out on the club. A vote of no confidence on management's vision/direction for the club. 1.25 million reasons to do so.

I'm going to throw another one out there - if the Titans genuinely have $1.25 million to spend next year, they could do far worse than to offer that same cash to Cameron Smith.

It's only short term relative to Fifita I know, but the guy is still the best Dummy Half in the business, the most decorated leader in the game for a club that desperately needs one, an absolute marquee player that sponsors and fans will flock to, an absolute Queensland legend, and he also plays the most critical spine position in a side that the Titans desperately need to fill.

These are all big pluses that David Fifita doesn't meet in any way. I'm not saying for all clubs that Smith would be the right move, but if I was the Titans and I had that kind of cash to spare, I think Smith gives them more in a single season that they can build on for the long term than Fifita can hope to bring to the table.

Last edited:
Latest from Pies:

“There is no other information on Dave today. There is no other news, there was a lot of media yesterday and out of respect to Dave and his family and both clubs, once there is news, we can communicate something.”

“I’m not keen to talk about that, that’s a personal thing between Dave and myself. I’m not going to make any comment about that this morning, it’s a private thing, I feel uncomfortable with this being played out in the media when there is a young man involved and his family is involved. I have no idea (if Fifita is staying), I’m not sure where that is at, it’s not really something I want to talk about, it should be played out behind closed doors."

“I’m not comfortable with it being played out in the media, Dave is a young man and I want to look after him and his family.”

“Most clubs have a committee. In the old days the coach ran it and had someone looking after the numbers. Some clubs might go rogue and make crazy offers to young players but you don’t know what every club is working towards or what they have in their cap.

“I’d hate to make comment or pass judgment on what other clubs are doing. Any player in the game that gets offered a lot of money, there is scrutiny and pressure that comes with that.”

McHunt

Cameron Smith.

Already has enough cash to never work a day in his life, and probably has his family super settled in Melbourne without all the fame that being in a Rugby League state would bring. Probably has a coaching gig lined up with the Storm after. It's really the best of all the worlds in Melbourne.

I don't see Cameron ever leaving Victoria or the Storm.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what money Dave is currently on this year?

Latest from Pies:

“There is no other information on Dave today. There is no other news, there was a lot of media yesterday and out of respect to Dave and his family and both clubs, once there is news, we can communicate something.”

“I’m not keen to talk about that, that’s a personal thing between Dave and myself. I’m not going to make any comment about that this morning, it’s a private thing, I feel uncomfortable with this being played out in the media when there is a young man involved and his family is involved. I have no idea (if Fifita is staying), I’m not sure where that is at, it’s not really something I want to talk about, it should be played out behind closed doors."

“I’m not comfortable with it being played out in the media, Dave is a young man and I want to look after him and his family.”

“Most clubs have a committee. In the old days the coach ran it and had someone looking after the numbers. Some clubs might go rogue and make crazy offers to young players but you don’t know what every club is working towards or what they have in their cap.

“I’d hate to make comment or pass judgment on what other clubs are doing. Any player in the game that gets offered a lot of money, there is scrutiny and pressure that comes with that.”

McHunt
For once I wholeheartedly agree with Pies when he refuses to comment further on Fifita. Although, it should be the tack the club takes on every player when it comes to contract negotiations. Leave those who are less scrupulous in the media guessing. In other words - Tell em nothin - take em nowhere.

Cap is what.. 9.5M? Have Fifita on 1.25 and Ash Taylor on 1M+ that's 25% of your cap on 2 players. Whoever is behind this 1.25M offer might think they are representing the Titans best interests but I would be sacking them. I've never paid much attention to the inner working of clubs before this current lockdown period but I'm kind of shocked by what I see.. Time to pay less attention I think and just enjoy the footy :)

Cap is what.. 9.5M? Have Fifita on 1.25 and Ash Taylor on 1M+ that's 25% of your cap on 2 players. Whoever is behind this 1.25M offer might think they are representing the Titans best interests but I would be sacking them. I've never paid much attention to the inner working of clubs before this current lockdown period but I'm kind of shocked by what I see.. Time to pay less attention I think and just enjoy the footy :)
The administration at the Titans are currently in a bidding war with themselves. If they manage to lose this negotiation process I think Mal and Gordy need to do a nudey run around Lang Park at the end of the season as this is just plain dumb.

Assuming nothing changes the cap is actually $9.9 million for next year, plus TPA's and concessions etc so in reality most club wage bills are over the 10 million dollar mark.

To counter Phils argument. It's only a 1 year contract not a long 5-10 year contract. David can take the 1.25 mil for next year and then the year after go to a better club that will help develop him as a player for less. He's not going to turn into the next Ash Taylor by going for a year.

To counter Phils argument. It's only a 1 year contract not a long 5-10 year contract. David can take the 1.25 mil for next year and then the year after go to a better club that will help develop him as a player for less. He's not going to turn into the next Ash Taylor by going for a year.
Do you honestly think it will be for 1 year ? They will do all they can to keep him with the 1.1 mill for 5 year's after the initial year.

Maybe not but he might turn into Ash Taylor in the sense that we let him to with the intention of bringing him back, but when the time came, he preferred the money.

Apparently he has a schoolboy friend joining the Titans from the Storm next year and this is mooted as a reason he should sign; well, who says after a year or 2 that players isnt signed by us...

he also has a very good friend (Payne Haas) signed with us

Read this David......

I'm starting to get scared ... Phil Gould seems to be on our side more and more these days

he also has a very good friend (Payne Haas) signed with us

I'm starting to get scared ... Phil Gould seems to be on our side more and more these days
NRL damage control man, i called it when he came out last week and asked the Broncos fans to stick by their team.

I'm going to throw another one out there - if the Titans genuinely have $1.25 million to spend next year, they could do far worse than to offer that same cash to Cameron Smith.

exactly the type of player Gus was talking about

The administration at the Titans are currently in a bidding war with themselves. If they manage to lose this negotiation process I think Mal and Gordy need to do a nudey run around Lang Park at the end of the season as this is just plain dumb.

no one wants to see that

big risk ... he gets a serious injury or shits the bed under the weight of expectation that comes with being the highest paid player in the game ... and those better clubs look elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Splinter
  • Sproj
  • Bronx48
  • Footy Fanatic
  • sooticus
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • rj9
  • mystico
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.