OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the added bonus of seeing Tallis’ head explode.
8BDCEDB9 DEF2 4052 92D1 76064DF1D43B

If Fifita (I love the guy as a player) wants to leave, the Broncos should close the door on him returning for a while, or ever, and let him know that is the case. They can't get played like this and even though he is a fantastic player, it's a team that wins the comp.
It's a huge amount of money, but we need to set a precedent. If a player doesn't want to buy in, we find players that do. It's a simple formula.
An analogy would be the beautiful girlfriend (or boyfriend if that's your thing) you had for a while when you were younger. She got charmed by a richer guy who lived near the beach and left you for him (this is a made-up scenario but I'm sure we've all had something similar). You can pine for her to come back, but that's pathetic really, and if she did you'd always be worried about their loyalty (Jarryd Hayne anyone - wasn't he all about getting a home for his mum). Move on, and find someone else. They might not be as beautiful, but loyalty goes a lot further than someone who is fair-weathered.
If you intimate you're willing to accept the year deal with the coast, he'll go for sure.
The problem is loyalty is a two way streak and we only keep players we want to keep. Plenty of player that have shown loyalty to this club were dumped when they were deemed excess to requirements. That's the nature of the salary cap.
Why then should a player likewise be treated as disloyal for looking after himself against that backdrop.
Fans are loyal through thick and thin. Players need to make hay whilst the sun shines, and there is no guarantee that fiiffita doesn't have the same run of bad luck as a bird or worse. They put their bodies on the line to the point that theyvhurtvlong after their careers have ended.
In a perfect world, they would see out their careers at one club and be supported afterwards but that isnt the case often.
The best you can hope for is you as a club build a culture that makes good players want to stay. The broncos for all their faults have done so and it's to the credit of all the blokes that have run it (even the maligned current ones).
So if he goes, good luck to him. It's his choice and he will remain a good talent regardless, but I suspect he will stay.

The problem is loyalty is a two way streak and we only keep players we want to keep. Plenty of player that have shown loyalty to this club were dumped when they were deemed excess to requirements. That's the nature of the salary cap.
Why then should a player likewise be treated as disloyal for looking after himself against that backdrop.
Fans are loyal through thick and thin. Players need to make hay whilst the sun shines, and there is no guarantee that fiiffita doesn't have the same run of bad luck as a bird or worse. They put their bodies on the line to the point that theyvhurtvlong after their careers have ended.
In a perfect world, they would see out their careers at one club and be supported afterwards but that isnt the case often.
The best you can hope for is you as a club build a culture that makes good players want to stay. The broncos for all their faults have done so and it's to the credit of all the blokes that have run it (even the maligned current ones).
So if he goes, good luck to him. It's his choice and he will remain a good talent regardless, but I suspect he will stay.

We have a long string of players that we have been loyal to well past them being useful to our detriment, so yeah some loyalty back given what the club has done for Fifita would be nice.

Behind a paywall.

The crux of it is GC Tourism 'identity' is encouraging the GC council to make Fifita a gold coast ambassador and give him the keys to the city. Says that the Titans will beat Brisbane in a grand final if he comes and positions it like that is something that Fifita should want to do, like by not offering him an insane amount of money is such a huge insult that he will be burning for revenge by it. They then crap on about what type of house 1.25 million gets you on the GC compared to Brisbane, completely ignoring facts like his mum not wanting to live in Brisbane, that you can't spend all of your money on a house because you need to you know, live.

Behind a paywall.

Gist of it is this.

Gold Coast Council is being urged to give David Fifita the keys to the city, make him an honorary Gold Coast Ambassador and to give Fifita and his mother a helicopter tour of the Glitter Strip in the Gold Coast.

In an open letter to Fifita, Mr Holliday wrote: “Not many 20-year-olds have the opportunity to make a life-changing decision and I can’t imagine the thoughts running through your mind and the love you have for your mother and the love she has for her son.

“You have the ability to determine your destiny and career path and if we look at a young Malcolm (Mal) Meninga who signed with Southern Suburbs (Souths) Brisbane as an 18-year-old in 1979 … there is a parallel.

“Souths had not won any silverware since 1953 and a few years after Mal joined, Souths won the Brisbane premiership in 1981 defeating Redcliffe.”

Mr Holliday makes note that the Broncos leadership team has failed to address the team's poor performances, completely ignoring the Titans' issues. Also stated our management are consumed by fear of losing Fifita after the Titans came in with a superior offer.

“At the Gold Coast Titans you can define your own history. You have every reason to move and I shall list a few; you have the ability to be the senior player for the Titans, Queensland and Australia for the next decade and follow in the footsteps of rugby league immortals, Arthur (Artie) Beetson and Mal Meninga.

“You can train at a fabulous new facility, play at a local stadium, live along the 45km of beautiful blue ocean and golden sands in a relaxed lifestyle.

“In time I see you as the Gold Coast Titans captain leading the club to a grand final victory over the Brisbane Broncos, and if Mal Meninga asked me to come and play with his Gold Coast Titans team, I’d be there in a heart beat.

“If I were Mayor of the city I’d not only give you the keys to the city, I’d come and pick you and your mum up and bring you down to the Gold Coast. I’d make you an honorary Gold Coast Ambassador, I’d be at every game and have your mobile on speed dial should you need anything while settling into our relaxed and friendly lifestyle.”

Then the Bulletin has compared what houses he could buy for each contract each club are offering.

The ones they post for the ones you can buy for 700k in Brisbane are rather sad looking houses.

Meanwhile they post up a very nice looking apartment and a couple of nice looking houses you can buy on the Gold Coast.

Problem is, Fifita wants to pay for a house outright, and these houses will use up the entirety of his contract money. In fact, after taxes come out, he probably wouldn't be able to afford those houses.

Gist of it is this.

Gold Coast Council is being urged to give David Fifita the keys to the city, make him an honorary Gold Coast Ambassador and to give Fifita and his mother a helicopter tour of the Glitter Strip in the Gold Coast.

In an open letter to Fifita, Mr Holliday wrote: “Not many 20-year-olds have the opportunity to make a life-changing decision and I can’t imagine the thoughts running through your mind and the love you have for your mother and the love she has for her son.

“You have the ability to determine your destiny and career path and if we look at a young Malcolm (Mal) Meninga who signed with Southern Suburbs (Souths) Brisbane as an 18-year-old in 1979 … there is a parallel.

“Souths had not won any silverware since 1953 and a few years after Mal joined, Souths won the Brisbane premiership in 1981 defeating Redcliffe.”

Mr Holliday makes note that the Broncos leadership team has failed to address the team's poor performances, completely ignoring the Titans' issues. Also stated our management are consumed by fear of losing Fifita after the Titans came in with a superior offer.

“At the Gold Coast Titans you can define your own history. You have every reason to move and I shall list a few; you have the ability to be the senior player for the Titans, Queensland and Australia for the next decade and follow in the footsteps of rugby league immortals, Arthur (Artie) Beetson and Mal Meninga.

“You can train at a fabulous new facility, play at a local stadium, live along the 45km of beautiful blue ocean and golden sands in a relaxed lifestyle.

“In time I see you as the Gold Coast Titans captain leading the club to a grand final victory over the Brisbane Broncos, and if Mal Meninga asked me to come and play with his Gold Coast Titans team, I’d be there in a heart beat.

“If I were Mayor of the city I’d not only give you the keys to the city, I’d come and pick you and your mum up and bring you down to the Gold Coast. I’d make you an honorary Gold Coast Ambassador, I’d be at every game and have your mobile on speed dial should you need anything while settling into our relaxed and friendly lifestyle.”

Then the Bulletin has compared what houses he could buy for each contract each club are offering.

The ones they post for the ones you can buy for 700k in Brisbane are rather sad looking houses.

Meanwhile they post up a very nice looking apartment and a couple of nice looking houses you can buy on the Gold Coast.

Problem is, Fifita wants to pay for a house outright, and these houses will use up the entirety of his contract money. In fact, after taxes come out, he probably wouldn't be able to afford those houses.
The most laughable part of all this is that after starting off by running us down as a football team they also think that if they make a Grand Final that we'll somehow be there too.

Last edited:
Proctor, James, Fotuaika, Wallace, Ese’ese, Fermor, S.Boyd, Peachey, Latu, Cartwright, Hipgrave, Whitbread. And they want Fifita...

Latu is already gone, Wallace and Boyd not far off it and James If he is re-signed would be on far less

Herman probably wouldn't be a budget buy either, he moved from us to the Knights for money, so the Titans would have had to outbid the Knights.
Most ex-Broncos players, particularly directly recruited from us, tend to be pretty overpriced.

I think the same is true of ex-Storm or ex-Roosters players. If you're in the market for players then recruiting guys directly out of these clubs tends to be a quick way to put your salary cap into a really tough position.

Last edited:
Yeh, it reads like there is a hatred of all thing Broncos. Like there is nothing better than beating the Broncos. Let's face it the way they get up for games against us and to then fall in a heap the week later is evidently their motivating factor.

Isn't Darbs misses involved in real estate? I'm sure she could sort his mum's housing probs out.

Herman probably wouldn't be a budget buy either, he moved from us to the Knights for money, so the Titans would have had to outbid the Knights.
Having the Broncos on your CV is a surefire way to get the Titan's attention. Could work in our favour. I can think of a couple of candidates...

I completely agree, but in this case, the club has been great to him. I wouldn't begrudge him for leaving at all, but if the club entertain the idea of him leaving for a year to then possibly come back, that's going to create a terrible precedent, and also an appearance of being desperate as much as the Gold Coast. All I'm saying is if he signs with them for a year, look elsewhere. Get someone who 100% wants to be here. Those players do exist.

I don't believe one player is that important. Look at many the million-dollar men after leaving their previous club. A few of them rarely deliver what they did before.

Yeh, it reads like there is a hatred of all thing Broncos. Like there is nothing better than beating the Broncos. Let's face it the way they get up for games against us and to then fall in a heap the week later is evidently their motivating factor.

Isn't Darbs misses involved in real estate? I'm sure she could sort his mum's housing probs out.
I would think finding accomodation for the Fifita family under these circumstances - seemingly at arm's length - wouldn't be even a slight challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Wild Horse
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.