OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s say Fifita goes for that money, this club surely has enough to go after Grant. I’d love to keep Dave but if it somehow worked out that Grant came as a result, you’d be pretty content with that turn of events.

Let’s say Fifita goes for that money, this club surely has enough to go after Grant. I’d love to keep Dave but if it somehow worked out that Grant came as a result, you’d be pretty content with that turn of events.
For sure. And we need to keep pushing this angle that we want Harry. Even if we don't manage to get him it puts more pressure on the Storm. It seems the comp like to pressure us by feigning interest in almost every player that is coming off contract at our club. All that is, except the ones we really want to jettison.

For sure. And we need to keep pushing this angle that we want Harry. Even if we don't manage to get him it puts more pressure on the Storm. It seems the comp like to pressure us by feigning interest in almost every player that is coming off contract at our club. All that is, except the ones we really want to jettison.

Harry would be a good pickup for us but I have a sneaky suspicion smith will call it quits at the end of this year and grant will then immediately be locked up long term by the storm.

We won't know what's happening with Grant until Melbourne know what is happening with Smith, and that likely won't be determined until Melbourne finish this season.

That's a long time to wait and keep your powder dry hoping for Grant, who we would only have around 700k for, not the 1.25 million the Titans have, which likely would not make us the top bidder for Grant.

Personally, I think the Titans are the ones missing the boat not putting that money into either Smith or Grant, both of whom I think are more valuable and more likely to deliver a Premiership on their own than David Fifita, mostly because they both excel in the most critical position in a modern Rugby League team.

Last edited:
We won't know what's happening with Grant until Melbourne know what is happening with Smith, and that likely won't be determined until Melbourne finish this season.

That's a long time to wait and keep your powder dry hoping for Grant, who we would only have around 700k for, not the 1.25 million the Titans have, which likely would not make us the top bidder for Grant.

Personally, I think the Titans are the ones missing the boat not putting that money into either Smith or Grant, both of whom I think are more valuable and more likely to deliver a Premiership on their own than David Fifita, mostly because they both excel in the most critical position in a modern Rugby League team.
If we re-sign Fifita and Grant comes into the market I doubt we have the cap space available to make a decent offer... preferably we'd want Grant to come into the market for 2022 onwards.

FFS. This is the most bizarre, nonsensical rubbish I have read. Apart from the hyperbole I wouldn't even know where to start in correcting the inaccuracies.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...y/news-story/0b9cf489cfbd0568f9c7f9ac93983a15

i had to laugh about this article for a number of reasons ...

1. "resigning" has a completely different meaning to "re-signing". they used the wrong one, don't they hire editors at the Gold Coast Bulletin

2. While the Titans may have a new facility to train in, i doubt it is better than our $25 million training center ... no incentive to move there.

3. they have just listed properties for the rumoured offer at both clubs, but he isn't going to spend his entire pay check on a house for his mum

If Fifita is only looking to sign a one year deal, its not this contract we should be concerned about, its the next one. That's going to be the one he signs with his long term future in mind

If we re-sign Fifita and Grant comes into the market I doubt we have the cap space available to make a decent offer... preferably we'd want Grant to come into the market for 2022 onwards.
Yeah I think that would go without saying. Unless both Macca and Bird were able to secure good deals elsewhere then I think Fifita would absolutely rule us out on Grant in 2021.

Last edited:
If Fifita is only looking to sign a one year deal, its not this contract we should be concerned about, its the next one. That's going to be the one he signs with his long term future in mind
Yeah of course, but we'd also have far more in the cap at our disposal if we wanted to spend it. We'd also get another 12 months of footy under his belt to decide if a long term, likely multi million dollar deal was something we wanted to commit ourselves to.

Our cap is gross for next year, but few clubs would have greater flexibility than us going into 2022.

Last edited:
Yeah going in to 2022 we can downgrade / release Milford and Bird which is $2m straight away. And then I think a couple players like Offa, Lodge etc are off around then too.

For mine their money would better be spent on someone like grant or a good fullback. What they are doing with fiffita defies belief, because as much as they want him to be their face of the club, he is in a position where injury and suspension are par for the course. They are spending money on a player that is young, has gotten in trouble already in his short career, and as a result of this deal would be cash heavy, staying in a place renowned for its party lifestyle and given celebrity status. I really hope sanity prevails.
At least with a grant or a fullback, they can organise when not 100%, touch the ball often, don't always find themselves at risk, and can enjoy a longer career, injuries withstanding.

Yeah going in to 2022 we can downgrade / release Milford and Bird which is $2m straight away. And then I think a couple players like Offa, Lodge etc are off around then too.
In the next two season you have Milford, Bird, Boyd, Macca and Kahu all off contract with large deals, plus several guys on smaller deals. Both Lodge and Offa are not off contract until the year after though.

Not counting my chickens, but it seems like the titans might be going about things in the wrong way by flagging to Fifita that he would be the face of the club, keys to the city, captain of the team, etc.

Didn't Gwen get quoted the other day that he just wants to play comfortable football?

To me that suggests that at this stage in his career he wants time to develop his game and be a bit more of a 'cog' in the team rather than the full fledged leader and having to carry the team on his back... the titans seem to be positioning him to be carrying the whole city on his back., which is exactly what he would be doing if he went there.

I think Fifita is aware that he's a star in the making, but I think he's also aware that he's not yet near the top of his game and still has room for improvement... it seems like he wants to be in a place where he can learn and improve in the background (as much in the background as he can be) without being elevated straight to the top of the pedestal as the great hope for a team.

Within the broncos team he is that cog to an extent... yes he is a star within this team, but I don't think he has been elevated as the be all and end all of the team's fortunes. There's players around him like Haas, Lodge, Staggs, etc. to help with carrying that load into the future.

Titans are an unknown to him if he moves, but they are placing a heap of pressure on him to change the entire organisation's future success.

Quite honestly, if we had the choice between Fifita and Grant, I'd go for Grant every time.

Actually watched the kid a little bit on the weekend. Even in a beaten side he left an impact. I think Turpin can do a good job for us but I would love to have one the premier hookers in the competition. If in fact that is what Grant turns out to be.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, if we had the choice between Fifita and Grant, I'd go for Grant every time.
If I had the choice between Fifita, Haas, Turpin & TPJ OR Grant, I'd go the 2020 Broncs every time.

Last edited:
At this time, this might be more about saving face for the titans. How terrible would it be for their club to have all their big wigs pushing him to sign, promising him the world and offering 400-500k more than others and he still did not sign. It would make the titans a laughing stock.

At this time, this might be more about saving face for the titans. How terrible would it be for their club to have all their big wigs pushing him to sign, promising him the world and offering 400-500k more than others and he still did not sign. It would make the titans a laughing stock.
edit: "more" of a laughing stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Browny
  • Locky’s Left Boot
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • HVbronco
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • YeahNahMate
  • theshed
  • john1420
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.