DCE for Game III?

OK, a serious reply. Outside of the serious dislike I have for the bloke, here are the main reasons I wouldn't pick him:

- DCE plays on the same side as Cronk, which would make things complicated. (He never partnered Cronk in Origin, he partnered Thurston)
- As said before by Mitch, he is not a team player and relies heavily (more than most halves) on his forward pack giving him the space he needs.
- Having Cronk and Smith in the team, we don't require as good a kicking game from our 5/8.

Now for my preferences in order, where the first two are daylight ahead of the rest:

- Norman has the most potential of them all, plays left, is a big strong bloke for the position, is left footed, besides having a pretty good running and kicking game. His attitude and current form could certainly be a concern however...
- Munster has the advantage of partnering Slater, Cronk and Smith, is strong in defense and has an excellent running and passing game. Doesn't have much of a kicking game, but not a deal breaker with his mates in the team.
- Hunt probably has the best running game of the contenders, but is used to playing on the same side as Cronk, has suspect defense and is down on form and confidence.
- Morgan has Origin experience and is a big moments player. He's not really an half in my opinion though, and generally also plays on Cronk's side. Regardless, I'd prefer him as the utility in the team.
- Taylor's attributes aren't really what we need, and he plays the same side as Cronk, putting him in the same basket as DCE, but he's young, likeable and will quite possibly feature largely in Qld's future. The only reason I'd put DCE ahead of him would be to avoid destroying his confidence by literally throwing him to the lions too early.
I too like Norman for the role...has developed nicely away from the Broncos but may be that he isn't the right fit on a oersonality level. Don't really know, he could be our future with Ash Taylor in say, 3 years time.

OK, a serious reply. Outside of the serious dislike I have for the bloke, here are the main reasons I wouldn't pick him:

- DCE plays on the same side as Cronk, which would make things complicated. (He never partnered Cronk in Origin, he partnered Thurston)
- As said before by Mitch, he is not a team player and relies heavily (more than most halves) on his forward pack giving him the space he needs.
- Having Cronk and Smith in the team, we don't require as good a kicking game from our 5/8.

Now for my preferences in order, where the first two are daylight ahead of the rest:

- Norman has the most potential of them all, plays left, is a big strong bloke for the position, is left footed, besides having a pretty good running and kicking game. His attitude and current form could certainly be a concern however...
- Munster has the advantage of partnering Slater, Cronk and Smith, is strong in defense and has an excellent running and passing game. Doesn't have much of a kicking game, but not a deal breaker with his mates in the team.
- Hunt probably has the best running game of the contenders, but is used to playing on the same side as Cronk, has suspect defense and is down of form and confidence.
- Morgan has Origin experience and is a big moments player. He's not really an half in my opinion though, and generally also plays on Cronk's side. Regardless, I'd prefer him as the utility in the team.
- Taylor's attributes aren't really what we need, and he plays the same side as Cronk, putting him in the same basket as DCE, but he's young, likeable and will quite possibly feature largely in Qld's future. The only reason I'd put DCE ahead of him would be to avoid destroying his confidence by literally throwing to the lions too early.

I feel like "playing on the same side" as someone shouldn't just rule you out of contention for an Origin jersey, that's something that can be worked on during the week leading up to Origin, it's obviously not ideal, but still..

He isn't a team player?.. What on earth do you have to back that up? He has 11 try assists & 10 line-break assists this year, those aren't selfish numbers.. Just for comparison, Norman has 4 try assists & 2 line-break assists.. C'mon now..

I'm also glad you brought up defence as a topic of conversation, are we discounting the fact that DCE has been in the top 1-2 halves in the NRL over the last few years for tackles made / missed tackle %? He's a great defender, arguably the best in the NRL for a 6/7.

2017 -

DCE - 307 tackles made, 27 missed
Norman - 174 tackles made, 21 missed
Morgan - 172 tackles made, 36 missed
Munster - 192 tackles made, 32 missed

If JT is out would milf be close to being back?

I wouldn't call Cherry-Evans into the decider. I agree he's the form half of the competition but there are still aspects of his game that need work and he hasn't earned enough confidence of his Maroons team mates to earn a recall.

I'm quietly confident that Thurston will be there, but if he isn't I would have Munster slot into five-eighth and buy into the squad mentality.

Next year is a different story and if Cherry-Evans' maintains his form and if there isn't any superior candidates out there I'd absolutely give him a shot.

I feel like "playing on the same side" as someone shouldn't just rule you out of contention for an Origin jersey, that's something that can be worked on during the week leading up to Origin, it's obviously not ideal, but still..

He isn't a team player?.. What on earth do you have to back that up? He has 11 try assists & 10 line-break assists this year, those aren't selfish numbers.. Just for comparison, Norman has 4 try assists & 2 line-break assists.. C'mon now..

I'm also glad you brought up defence as a topic of conversation, are we discounting the fact that DCE has been in the top 1-2 halves in the NRL over the last few years for tackles made / missed tackle %? He's a great defender, arguably the best in the NRL for a 6/7.

2017 -

DCE - 307 tackles made, 27 missed
Norman - 174 tackles made, 21 missed
Morgan - 172 tackles made, 36 missed
Munster - 192 tackles made, 32 missed
The side a half plays is definitely majorly important, and is not something you adapt to in a week.

As to being a team player, I don't think you quite get the meaning of it.
It's not whether he's capable of an assist or not. It's whether he's capable of sacrifice for his team mates, and even more importantly, whether his team mates are willing to do the same for him, and I don't believe either applies.
He is in my opinion, simply not Origin material!
(As an aside, from everything I have heard, he's one of, if not the most disliked player in a Qld camp... ever!)

I couldn't give a rats arse about stats, especially not in Origin, where they often don't translate.
Defense has never been my first or second priority for a half, whose job in that aspect is to try being slightly less than a turnstile. If he's better than that... awesome!
Besides, if we were going by attacking stats, Taylor has everyone easily covered.

Can probably close this thread.

Walters just named 4 potential replacements if Thurston & Milford are out, in order - Morgan, Munster, Norman, Mbye.

DCE is wellll down the pecking order.

So, worst case Thurston & Boyd are out and replaced by Morgan and Munster ( not necessarily in that order either ) who would you pick as the utility or do we go without one.

He must be seriously disliked by the senior players in our squad, and after his selfish 2014 performances and the way he treated the Titans I'm not surprised. Is not hard to see what type of a person he is. You reap what you sow. Maybe one day he will get another shot to prove he can be a team player but not this year.

Wow, if DCE is below Mbye and Norman then he's in serious trouble.

Would likely be Hunt and Taylor before him as well. Going from heir apparent to 7th in line for the throne is a massive fall from grace

He must be seriously disliked by the senior players in our squad, and after his selfish 2014 performances and the way he treated the Titans I'm not surprised. Is not hard to see what type of a person he is. You reap what you sow. Maybe one day he will get another shot to prove he can be a team player but not this year.

But I mean really, how is what he did to the Titans any different to what Tedesco did to the Raiders?

He don't seem to be unanimously hated by everyone because of it.. As I said before, not his biggest fan, but a reckon a lot of the DCE hate is a little unfair.

I don't think DCE gets a shot until both Thurston and Cronk are gone. Not sure he buys into the groups mentality, putting 2 and 2 together anyway.

But I mean really, how is what he did to the Titans any different to what Tedesco did to the Raiders?

He don't seem to be unanimously hated by everyone because of it.. As I said before, not his biggest fan, but a reckon a lot of the DCE hate is a little unfair.

Haven't really read up on the Tedesco situation so not sure about it but the thing that rubs me up the wrong way mostly is the blatant lying through his teeth til the last second, assuring the Titans he was definitely coming. What DCE did was 100% within the rules but the way he did it made me throw up in my mouth a little. Poor form imo.

Moses Mbye - 3 line-breaks, 3 try assists, 3 line-break assists, 2 offloads.

Tautau Moga - 3 line-breaks, 3 try assists, 7 line-break assists, 9 offloads.

JD%20Head%20Explode.gif

Well, Tedesco didn't use his contract at the Raiders to leverage a payrise from the Tigers. I don't trust media reports about contracts in general but it was reported he signed with the Tigers for a lower offer.

Raiders and Titans were both worse off but the Titans really went all in on DCE before he signed so they ended up in a bad situation.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.