Dear NRL HQ & the media...

Kinda the same topic, but 12 of the 16 NRL clubs spent money on a consultant to look into the viability of what a 17th club would even add to the game and they found that financially it makes no sense, It will hurt existing clubs in Queensland and that is also with little assurance that the venture can even be profitable for itself: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...17th-team-doesn-t-add-up-20210623-p583o0.html

Perth would make sense as the 17th club but apparently they aren't even on the radar.

Kinda the same topic, but 12 of the 16 NRL clubs spent money on a consultant to look into the viability of what a 17th club would even add to the game and they found that financially it makes no sense, It will hurt existing clubs in Queensland and that is also with little assurance that the venture can even be profitable for itself: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...17th-team-doesn-t-add-up-20210623-p583o0.html
Well that settles it... Vlando will bring in two new Brisbane teams in 2023 instead

I think the NRL has some ideas already as to how they can push sponsors and fans towards the new Brisbane team.

I think the NRL has some ideas already as to how they can push sponsors and fans towards the new Brisbane team.
Have to say I've never understood why the Courier Mail has been pulling its pud so hard over this second team given its parent company's vested interest in the Broncos. I can see it being good for the newspaper not having to rely on scraping to the very bottom of the barrel for Broncos news every day to fill its sports quota, but ultimately what's bad for the Broncos is bad for News Corp.

Unless it's a little internal dirty protest at having to dutifully relay every bit of inane shit that comes out of Red Hill each day.

In my view the NRL should be making a national 2nd tier competition before adding more teams, then once thats done I would be making a shortlist of unprofitable clubs and they have to all come up with reasons why they should exist as is with the loser forced to relocate to Perth(which already has the facilities and with a national 2nd tier can compete in the youth/reserve ranks) if that team doesn't relocate take their license away to compete in the competition.

Have to say I've never understood why the Courier Mail has been pulling its pud so hard over this second team given its parent company's vested interest in the Broncos. I can see it being good for the newspaper not having to rely on scraping to the very bottom of the barrel for Broncos news every day to fill its sports quota, but ultimately what's bad for the Broncos is bad for News Corp.

Unless it's a little internal dirty protest at having to dutifully relay every bit of inane shit that comes out of Red Hill each day.
It smells of vested interests giving favourable coverage:
Screenshot 20210625 142459
Given how the Courier Mails(paywalled) article comes out not long after the independent report surfaces, it's obviously there to try detract the message.

Perth would make sense as the 17th club but apparently they aren't even on the radar.

they didn't hit the main criteria though ...

which was: will a team here have the potential to hurt the Broncos (both financially and supporter base)

It smells of vested interests giving favourable coverage: View attachment 13760Given how the Courier Mails(paywalled) article comes out not long after the independent report surfaces, it's obviously there to try detract the message.
I don't see anything wrong with the media giving a voice to critics of a report that was commissioned by 12 clubs, one of which is the Broncos. And I don't see what the vested interest is given the Australian ran the original report without analysis, and the Courier Mail fleshed it with alternative opinions.

Who do you see has the vested interest and what is it?

I don't see anything wrong with the media giving a voice to critics of a report that was commissioned by 12 clubs, one of which is the Broncos. And I don't see what the vested interest is given the Australian ran the original report without analysis, and the Courier Mail fleshed it with alternative opinions.

Who do you see has the vested interest and what is it?
Commissioned though it was independent, I did say it smells of vested interest If I was saying it as fact I would obviously elebrate, but I don't think this is something a Joe blow is going to be privy to without insider knowledge.

Given I'm reducing my Murdoch spending to the minimum it's unlikely I will be able to know what they even said in the article(because no fucking way Im paying), but we live in a world of tabloids most of which people read titles and leave so unless they have their own case with some kind of expert on the situation the title reads BS to me.

Commissioned though it was independent, I did say it smells of vested interest If I was saying it as fact I would obviously elebrate, but I don't think this is something a Joe blow is going to be privy to without insider knowledge.

Given I'm reducing my Murdoch spending to the minimum it's unlikely I will be able to know what they even said in the article(because no fucking way Im paying), but we live in a world of tabloids most of which people read titles and leave so unless they have their own case with some kind of expert on the situation the title reads BS to me.
It sounds like this Murdoch dude works in rather mysterious ways if his vested interest is to work against his vested interest.

As long as your rationed Murdoch spending includes The Brisbane Broncos, brought to you by Rupert Murdoch.

It sounds like this Murdoch dude works in rather mysterious ways if his vested interest is to work against his vested interest.
Given that this Murdoch dude sold his highly profitable Fox Studios to keep the highly unprofitable News Corp afloat I wouldn't look at it too logically.

Given that this Murdoch dude sold his highly profitable Fox Studios to keep the highly unprofitable News Corp afloat I wouldn't look at it too logically.
Interesting choice of words.

Interesting choice of words.
Either it's senile business decisions or he is playing 4th dimension chess, either way things that on the surface look to make no sense business wise are not uncommon with Murdoch.

Either it's senile business decisions or he is playing 4th dimension chess, either way things that on the surface look to make no sense business wise are not uncommon with Murdoch.
I think you'll find he has bigger fish to fry than worry about what Peter Badel is writing in a provincial Australian newspaper that I doubt he ever reads.

I think you'll find he has bigger fish to fry than worry about what Peter Badel is writing in a provincial Australian newspaper that I doubt he ever reads.
Likely but If he is involved with the establishment of this new club or even a purchase of the NRL, then a directive on this topic would certainly make sense.

Could even be part of a secret deal clause to do with good coverage of the NRL admin for the cheap TV deal they did With Foxtel and Kayo(both also owned by Newscorp) which certainly rake in alot more money then the Broncos and Storm would and therefore be the priority.

Who knows how Murdoch works when his web is all over this competition.

Likely but If he is involved with the establishment of this new club or even a purchase of the NRL, then a directive on this topic would certainly make sense.

Could even be part of a secret deal clause to do with good coverage of the NRL admin for the cheap TV deal they did With Foxtel and Kayo(both also owned by Newscorp) which certainly rake in alot more money then the Broncos and Storm would and therefore be the priority.

Who knows how Murdoch works when his web is all over this competition.
Alternatively, Rupert isn't massively interested in Rugby League and leaves that stuff to someone else to worry about. That works too.

Alternatively, Rupert isn't massively interested in Rugby League and leaves that stuff to someone else to worry about. That works too.
His son has been in charge of Newscorp for awhile now hasn't he?

Going by how partisan their outlets are, I assume business as usual.

His son has been in charge of Newscorp for awhile now hasn't he?

Going by how partisan their outlets are, I assume business as usual.
I seem to have this conversation a lot. The Murdoch papers are less partisan than Fairfax, it's just they lean conservative which triggers certain people into a blind rage of indignation.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • broncotville
  • LittleDavey
  • bert_lifts
  • Nerd
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Manofoneway
  • Jazza
  • NSW stables
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.