Dear NRL HQ & the media...

As fans we are basically powerless, the only thing we can do is take away money from this asshole as that is all he cares about.

Answer? Watch more AFL. Not losing this war between the codes they have created in their heads is all they care about so keep watching the Broncos and any league games you care about but if you can’t stand how things are going watch AFL as well. Give them the ratings and/or attendance and watch Vlandys squirm.
Do we have to watch it or can we just put the telly on and go and do something else?

Contact sports = you may get concussions
Army = you may get PTSD

Both have pretty similar long-term consequences.

Wonder how long it'll be until the Army is frowned upon as a profession because of the head injuries it causes. Maybe V'Landys can save the Army also??
The current bosses are fucking the Army well enough. No need for extra help for Vlandys

FFS, now i agree with Rothfield ...

Unnamed

Look, we've been fans for years and I can understand rule changes that make the game better. Removing the corner post from being out of touch (thx Vossy) - genius move. Introducing the 40/20? Great! 7 tackle sets when you kick it dead? Superb.

Even stopping the clock in the final five minutes was a good move, to add to the suspense.

But the absolutely shamozzle of rule changes introduced since 2020 has seen the utter fabric of this game ripped to shreds. The only people asking for these rule changes were either highly paid media "pundits" who are paid even more when their articles get lots of hits and ad revenue, or nanny state NRL staffers.

I can cop when our club stuffs up recruitment and we have to rebuild, but I cannot accept that this level of ineptitude cannot have been a deliberate decision to try and increase your balance sheet to pump up the future TV deal which to be fair, is now at serious risk. We sit here and watch the Badels, Kents, Buzzes and Balms and other media types deathride clubs for ratings.

You sit there and fiddle, whilst rome burns.
#thisisnotnrl

Let's recap what you've done.

Rule #1: Referees retain the right to issue a full penalty and put players in the sin bin for persistent ruck infringements and professional fouls.
So you've had this rule all along, and only tonight decide to put it into action despite MONTHS AND WEEKS of certain clubs taking the absolute piss out of it on their goalines. What were you thinking would happen?

Rule #2: Only one referee.
Let's be clear here. THE ONLY PEOPLE ASKING FOR THIS, were the Phil Goulds of the media crew. No fan cared. If you TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED IT because of COVID-19, we'd all understand that. But you hid behind COVID to make a few media happy. Idiots.

Rule #3: Penalties for breaking early from the scrum.
Good on you for enforcing the rule from 1908. Idiots.

Rule #4: Six agains.
Were you drunk? Did you fall over and hit your head and feel unable to string some words together? NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS. Clubs were happy enough to boot the ball into the touch and go again. Instead you give a six again WHILST A CLUB IS ON THEIR OWN TEN METRE LINE and then wonder with dismay why they only made it to the 40m line. Seriously, who asked for this? What rules committee did you use and what fans did you ask, because anyone who agreed with this rule need to be removed from the game.

Rule #5: Play the ball if it goes over the sideline.
Ok. Scrums were fine too, but whatever.

Rule #6: Scrum at a location of the teams' choosing.
Whatever. NRL style set plays, probably sounded fun in the rules room (which is sounding more like PVL's lair, to be fair)

Rule #7: Captains Challenge.
Cool. Well done for adopting what most sports around the world are doing, bravo.

Rule #8: Bunker can review tries post scoring and cancel it.
Yep, probably a good idea.

Rule #9: Two point field goals.
Who asked for this? Who in the right mind said, YEAH LETS DO THIS. NOBODY.

Be ashamed of your performance and incompetence, giving into knee jerk changes, NRL HQ.
You have two options. Either believe these disastrous laws are due to "incompetence" or caused by calculated planning.

From the start, it was obvious to me that the "six again" rule was for nothing else except match fixing. If you have trouble believing this, then you haven't been around. The fact that Vlandys has connections with horse racing and Tabcorp should give you some food for thought. The six-again rule is a rort - and here's why:

* Disproportionate penalty for the offense - for example - awarding six more tackles for a hand on the ball
* Never scrutinised by media commentators (who in the past scrutinse EVERYTHING)
* NRL do not publish statistics on six again - despite the decisions having huge affects on games
* Even if data was published (as Fox do) quantity of six-again decisions in a game do not matter as much as WHEN and WHERE the decisions are made. For example, in last night's game, two six-agains were awarded after the Pangai rubbish decision for a high tackle, which led to the try that started the rot (up until then the Broncos were defending very well). This was toward the back-end of the first half when the Broncos had already defended their line for several sets.
* Six-agains have been used strategically given to psychological cripple teams - for example at the end of the first half, and then the start of the second half. Once the targeted team is crippled and the score blows out, the ref just squares up the ledger with some bogus six-agains for the winning team
* The game is now being run by the Bunker Ref - which we saw last night with the Pangai high shot. The faceless video ref not as the ability to turn a game by pulling up a questionable tackle several plays before (and of course overlooks those of the favoured team)

Sorry people - but the game we loved is now corrupt and needs to be cleaned up.

You have two options. Either believe these disastrous laws are due to "incompetence" or caused by calculated planning.

From the start, it was obvious to me that the "six again" rule was for nothing else except match fixing. If you have trouble believing this, then you haven't been around. The fact that Vlandys has connections with horse racing and Tabcorp should give you some food for thought. The six-again rule is a rort - and here's why:

* Disproportionate penalty for the offense - for example - awarding six more tackles for a hand on the ball
* Never scrutinised by media commentators (who in the past scrutinse EVERYTHING)
* NRL do not publish statistics on six again - despite the decisions having huge affects on games
* Even if data was published (as Fox do) quantity of six-again decisions in a game do not matter as much as WHEN and WHERE the decisions are made. For example, in last night's game, two six-agains were awarded after the Pangai rubbish decision for a high tackle, which led to the try that started the rot (up until then the Broncos were defending very well). This was toward the back-end of the first half when the Broncos had already defended their line for several sets.
* Six-agains have been used strategically given to psychological cripple teams - for example at the end of the first half, and then the start of the second half. Once the targeted team is crippled and the score blows out, the ref just squares up the ledger with some bogus six-agains for the winning team
* The game is now being run by the Bunker Ref - which we saw last night with the Pangai high shot. The faceless video ref not as the ability to turn a game by pulling up a questionable tackle several plays before (and of course overlooks those of the favoured team)

Sorry people - but the game we loved is now corrupt and needs to be cleaned up.
I have to agree.
Anytime there is zero accountability, there is a reason and that reason is to hide something.

If the NRL was confident in the 6 again ruling, then they would have no problem tracking and publishing it as a stat the way they do for every other rule in the game.

It is a very simple way to exploit a system under the guise of a rule to speed the game up.
Since the inception of the 6 again rule, we have seen far more concussion and injuries than in previous seasons without the 6 again.

Now we have sin bins for offenses that come on the back of repeat 6 again call induced fatigue.
Usually after a loss, i sleep on it, and wake up with the thought that its just a game, and shit happens, however, the powers that be have effectively destroyed something i have loved for decades and that i am passionate about.

This V'landys fool can **** off, he is as corrupt as they come and the fact he is close mates with a person so intimately involved with one of the teams should raise questions about his agenda and bias.
It is not a coincidence that this disgraceful turn of events has occurred on the back of a Roosters post match whinge session.

If it was Ricky Stuart who spoke the way Robinson did in the post match presser, he would have been fined 20 grand and reprimanded internally for bringing the game into disrepute.

I am actually watching AFL, never have in my life. Don't have any idea what to expect, but it has to be better then what was dished up last night, if that doesn't work out then I am likely going to look at soccer.

I can't believe I am even considering this, but I will not watch any more Tragic Round BS.

Leaked email from the NRL and commission to officials, saying the crackdown is to limit the negative impact on “brand, participation and player welfare" (says Sunday Mail):

“Contact with the head/neck is not acceptable. This objective with this stronger approach will be to look to eliminate dangerous contact, as was the case with punching and dangerous throws. The onus is on the defender to avoid contact with the head/neck, regardless of any mitigating factors.

“We are all supported to err on the side of strength – if in doubt, DO NOT TAKE THE SOFT OPTION. No longer will we base our approach to ‘will it be charged’ – rule on fact and the outcome – never mind about what caused it.”

Kevin Walters:

“We were all aware of the crackdown, everyone was notified. The referees don’t tick the scoreboard over. We spoke about it through the week, everyone got a handout. They just got up a bit high and the rules have changed and you can’t do that.”

Corey Oates:

“I’ve got no idea what happened. A few of the reports were for head highs, there is a new rule on it, some could have been questionable but there is a new rule on it so it’s up to the NRL to look at. I felt there were some 50-50 decisions there that went against us. It’s the first week they brought the new rule out. You always hope there is some grey area there.”

McHunt

The Super League era sucked arse for the most part, but eff it - let’s gone Super League v2.

A return to proper footy with the added comfort of an asterix against our future spoons.

Just lets have everyone wear a helmet. That will protect from the head injuries. Wear a padded suit to protect from collisions too, then we can have forceful contact again.

Some other ideas too - To further avoid injuries, have a 15-20 second break after each tackle to allow players to settle into position. You can squeeze a quick ad in there for more revenue. To balance it more, decrease the tackle count from 6 to 4. Also there are so many forward passes being let go, they should just eliminate the rule altogether, let them throw it forward, the attack will possibly end up being more creative that way.

Just lets have everyone wear a helmet. That will protect from the head injuries. Wear a padded suit to protect from collisions too, then we can have forceful contact again.

Some other ideas too - To further avoid injuries, have a 15-20 second break after each tackle to allow players to settle into position. You can squeeze a quick ad in there for more revenue. To balance it more, decrease the tackle count from 6 to 4. Also there are so many forward passes being let go, they should just eliminate the rule altogether, let them throw it forward, the attack will possibly end up being more creative that way.
Have certain players dedicated to defence industry others offence, thus making sure everyone is doing the one thing they’re good at!

This actually might work.

The earliest I can remember for corruption in the game was at least 2014 when the bunnies were gifted a fairytale.. some of the most biased officiating I've ever seen.

That was then followed by manufacturing of results for cowboys and broncos games.

Prior to the 6 agains it was so easy to identify the manufacturing that a ref would do... if the team was behind every 50/50 would go their way until they got back into the game to create 'a close contest'. This was easy... ball comes out it's either a strip penalty or dropped ball depending on which team is behind (no challenge so you can't argue against it), drop outs or 20m taps depending on what the team needs, try/no try depending on what team needs it (this was more on grounding the ball or held up... usually the bunker doesn't have a view so just has to go with whatever the onfield ref goes with), forward passes, offsides, hand on the ball penalties, etc. etc. etc. everything is at the discretion of the ref so he can control every single result if he wants to.

Since the 6 agains close contests are manufactured by the ref just not awarding anything... force the two teams to just slog it out back-to-back-to-back and kicking from one end to the other. The game grinds to a halt, teams become so fatigued from the back and forth that no attacking play is put on at all and the game becomes a low scoring bore. Which of course Buzz and his cronies cream themselves over.

All other 6 again games are pretty well won by whichever team is smarter or cheats the most:
- There are zero repercussions for laying all over the ruck and slowing it to a crawl
- Zero repercussions for being offside all night
- Faking HIA's to get free substitutions
- Feigning injury results in a penalty better than 50% of the time... this will now get worse with the high tackle crackdown.

On the above this started to become a real issue when the judiciary penalty for a crusher was bumped up to a minimum of 1 week for a grade 1. Prior to this an act of foul play missed by the ref could only result in a penalty from the bunker IF the act was serious enough to warrant being put on report.

This was effectively used to stop players from diving... a player would dive after getting tapped on the face looking for a high shot penalty. However, whilst the player was pretending to be knocked out or rolling around on the ground, the bunker would check it, see that it was a soft little grazing on the face and tell the player to play the ball. Players really stopped diving when they were forced to go off for a HIA if they feigned concussion. So not only was feigning injury for a high shot now unlikely to get you a penalty (because it wasn't reportable), you could also be off the field for 15mins if you went too far with your acting.

After bumping the crusher tackle up, the media (surprise surprise) started complaining about players missing weeks from suspensions for soft penalties "should someone miss an origin game or a grand final for that?!?" .... so to avoid this scrutiny the refs now blow a penalty as soon as the player holds their neck. Why? so it doesn't go to the bunker, because that would result in the player going on report, which then leads to players being suspended for soft tackles/total accidents and uproar from NSWRL media.

Players will now just hold their head/nose/chin and because of the new directive the bunker will be required to put the player on report. Refs will want to avoid this and will blow a penalty as soon someone tells the ref his nose has been touched... they won't want to risk the bunker putting them on report or possibly send them to the bin all the time

We saw the danger very briefly in last night's game when Herbie got us a penalty after being hit high on a get out set.... this will be the ultimate goal of get out sets "feign injury if anything comes near your head to get the penalty".... the manly player started rubbing his head when he was caught in goal trying to get a penalty.

Be prepared for even more diving from now on

Watch the Storm feign to stumble or duck just before the line, causing incidental head contact. You know it’s going to happen.

Watch the Storm feign to stumble or duck just before the line, causing incidental head contact. You know it’s going to happen.
BSmith already runs with his head at hip height... he would've got 5 players binned last night.

He won't now because NSWRL will change the interpretation for the remaining games and the media will splooge themselves and proclaim that teams are already adapting.

We've been played as the guinea pigs again

Yeah the NRL want to make it safer for players but at the same time, speed the game up to unmaintainable levels which leads to fatigue and you guessed it, more injuries and more serious ones at that.

Maybe contact sports are on their way out?
Easy fix, part of the contracts you sign to play for clubs expresses your understanding of the risks of the sport. Your getting paid big bucks and that is due to risk to self also. People need to take responsibility for your own health, same reason you sign wavers before going diving or skydiving, there are risks despite safety measures.
Local footy players don't get any pay 80% of the time, I know plenty of blokes including myself who played this game into their 30s. I have had head knocks, if I get CTE who is going to speak out for me, nobody. I knew the risks despite what the media says, we have known repeated concussions are not good for you for a lot longer then anyone is willing to say. We all play this game knowing the risk of a contact game, why are we pretending that we can make this game safe, you can't. You either play the sport and are willing to take the risk or you play something else.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Behold
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • bert_lifts
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Hurrijo
  • Financeguy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Inknition
  • Strop
  • MrRobot
  • JamesC
  • Lozza
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.