Dear NRL HQ & the media...

The QRL should refuse to change their rules, keep the QCUP as it was before 2020 and start spruiking the local leagues. watch People return to real footy. It’s a genuine opportunity for grass roots to make a come back.

Who is fucking their job up more? Karl Morris or this ****?

How many steps need to be taken in regards to head injuries? I mean, seriously? It's a contact sport. In every contact sport around the world there is GOING to be contact with the head, incidental or not. It's literally impossible to completely eradicate it from the game.

With how stringent we are now in regards to HIA's, I don't understand why V'Landys is doubling down and now also making it an automatic report & penalty for ANY contact with the head, and an instant sin-bin if there's a bit of force behind it (which probably wouldn't have even been a penalty 2-3 years ago).

It's short-term pain for absolutely no gain long-term. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows these rules won't last. The referees will eventually relax on their rulings and it'll drift back towards the norm. Just a complete waste of time.

As fans we are basically powerless, the only thing we can do is take away money from this asshole as that is all he cares about.

Answer? Watch more AFL. Not losing this war between the codes they have created in their heads is all they care about so keep watching the Broncos and any league games you care about but if you can’t stand how things are going watch AFL as well. Give them the ratings and/or attendance and watch Vlandys squirm.

Got these two PMs last night from an old school mate who is now the CEO of a major racing organisation..🤦‍♂️

do something NRL ..
F40FD779 DAAC 4E30 808E 56DEFE0C12F3
CB7A7B30 193B 49E3 9628 9CBEDE310610

Vlandys has spoken:

“I’m not taking a backward step. It’s short-term pain for long-term gain,” V’landys said.

“It will kill the game if we don’t get tough on foul play and particularly contact with the head.

“Unless we do something now we’re going to be paying in the long run.”
Absolute BS... there will be **** all sin binnings over the next 6 games.

There is a simple solution to all of this, but people wont like it.

Educate from a young age and through sports development programs that RL is a physical, contact sport, and that playing the game runs the risk of injury both immediate and later on in life.

At the point of becoming a professional RL player, they must first sign a waver acknowledging they understand the risks of playing professional RL and are willing to participate in the game.
If you are not willing to risk your health to play first grade NRL and receive an incredibly lucrative salary that go's with the risk, then you are perfectly well within your rights to pursue an alternative, softer career that wont risk your health.

The UFC manages to hold a roster of fighters who all sign a similar waiver to this.
If they didn't, then combat sports and MMA would be dead in the water and that would be the end of it.

Thoughts?

Yeah, that’s the outlier for sure. Are the fighters signing off on no recourse? It’s the only way I see it possible to continue?

I love UFC and all martial art related sports. But the world is going nuts on this sort of blame game. I don’t see it getting better, do you?

I keep thinking of Matterson, or even Cordner to a degree. There’s going to be a landmark case soon IMO.
No shit i was writing up my post before i saw your discussion regarding the UFC here, and this is what i was getting at.

Humans are violent by nature, and if gladiatorial combat was legal today, i would be watching it.
I love the UFC, i love combat and contact sports.

If people out there are squeamish and don't like the toughness or the violence, they can **** off and watch the ballet, but dont **** with my sports to suit your sensibilities.

Yeah, that’s the outlier for sure. Are the fighters signing off on no recourse? It’s the only way I see it possible to continue?

I love UFC and all martial art related sports. But the world is going nuts on this sort of blame game. I don’t see it getting better, do you?

I keep thinking of Matterson, or even Cordner to a degree. There’s going to be a landmark case soon IMO.

I've got to admit that while I agree it's coming, I don't understand, legally, what legs a potential case would have. I know there's duty of care etc, but these blokes knowingly enter (and remain in) an occupation where there is a risk of head damage. If you don't want to take the risk, don't play the game. Or take other mitigating steps - headgear etc. Why should the game have to 'protect' players if the player themselves aren't taking every step possible to remove the potential for damage? Surely by not wearing headgear, for example, they are contributing to the situation and any future damage? If they've played league their whole life, who are they going to target their case at? The NRL? Their club/former club? Who's to say the damage wasn't caused through a lifetime of the sport, do they go after their childhood club? The QRL/NSWRL? All of the above?

Absolute BS... there will be **** all sin binnings over the next 6 games.
100%

Privately he would be telling them no more sin binnings so come Monday they can say nothing wrong with the rules and the Broncos were just too ill-disciplined.

Contact sports = you may get concussions
Army = you may get PTSD

Both have pretty similar long-term consequences.

Wonder how long it'll be until the Army is frowned upon as a profession because of the head injuries it causes. Maybe V'Landys can save the Army also??

There is a simple solution to all of this, but people wont like it.

Educate from a young age and through sports development programs that RL is a physical, contact sport, and that playing the game runs the risk of injury both immediate and later on in life.

At the point of becoming a professional RL player, they must first sign a waver acknowledging they understand the risks of playing professional RL and are willing to participate in the game.
If you are not willing to risk your health to play first grade NRL and receive an incredibly lucrative salary that go's with the risk, then you are perfectly well within your rights to pursue an alternative, softer career that wont risk your health.

The UFC manages to hold a roster of fighters who all sign a similar waiver to this.
If they didn't, then combat sports and MMA would be dead in the water and that would be the end of it.

Thoughts?
I think a waiver is probably where they will need to go... "you sign this contract then you are accepting the risks that come with it. The administrative body will do its best efforts to minimise risks; however risks will remain."

I wonder though how would a waiver work for someone such as Suaalii who is 17... does it get thrown on the parents to sign the waiver or should that have been the line in the sand that the NRL could stick to for why you must be over 18 to play in the NRL.

Contact sports = you may get concussions
Army = you may get PTSD

Both have pretty similar long-term consequences.

Wonder how long it'll be until the Army is frowned upon as a profession because of the head injuries it causes. Maybe V'Landys can save the Army also??
I would be happy for Vlandys to join the front line.

I think a waiver is probably where they will need to go... "you sign this contract then you are accepting the risks that come with it. The administrative body will do its best efforts to minimise risks; however risks will remain."

I wonder though how would a waiver work for someone such as Suaalii who is 17... does it get thrown on the parents to sign the waiver or should that have been the line in the sand that the NRL could stick to for why you must be over 18 to play in the NRL.
Yep, a hard 18 age limit.
And as you said, the NRL would still strive for a safe sport, and do their best to minimize injuries and head contact, and also provide medical support and the like.
There would also still be heavy penalties for high shots as well.

Another way to reduce contact is to fine the bejesus out of offenders.
This way you don't punish the fans, and instead smash the players bank balance.

You hit someone in the head with intent, that's 50 grand.
10 grand for accidental contact.
You can bet your ass players would clean up their game a lot quicker if it was hurting them financially.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Shane Tronc
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Rambstien
  • marw
  • mitch222
  • Old Mate
  • Rowdy124
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • winslow_wong
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.