NEWS Dearden is hot to trot

Yep, it's pretty lame. You wouldn't get away with it in many other industries.
You don't enquire about another job while you're employed? I do.
Why would you place in position of separation by resigning before seeking gainful employment?
It doesn't mean you don't seek to further yourself with your current employer but if google offers to give me a personal tour of their facilities Id would very likely take them up on it.
It not like he marches off with them in the middle of training.
I want dearden to stay but what I really, really want is for him to want to stay. If we can't convince him that this club represents his best future, it us we need to take a critical eye at, not him. That is unless they start talking fiffita money and then he head up north, and we'll use our extra cash to build a more balanced team than either the titans or cowboys in 2022.

If the Cowboys offer anything over 350k they can have him. He has shown very little as someone who can run a team, he is definitely a 6 at this stage. Has potential with a decent running game, not worth breaking the bank for.

Yeah I agree, time to start playing a bit of hard ball here. Say to him, ‘look you want to go? Fine and we’ll be sorry to see you leave but just remember Clifford and what you will be losing here in terms of facilities and how we take care of our own, etc. You go there, it could be better or it could be worse but know this, we want you and halfback is obviously yours if you want it but we aren’t offering you a cent over $350k and you have until Friday to decide. You miss the deadline and while we are definitely not releasing you, we’ll also be forced to push you down the pecking order.’

You don't enquire about another job while you're employed? I do.
Why would you place in position of separation by resigning before seeking gainful employment?
It doesn't mean you don't seek to further yourself with your current employer but if google offers to give me a personal tour of their facilities Id would very likely take them up on it.
It not like he marches off with them in the middle of training.
I want dearden to stay but what I really, really want is for him to want to stay. If we can't convince him that this club represents his best future, it us we need to take a critical eye at, not him. That is unless they start talking fiffita money and then he head up north, and we'll use our extra cash to build a more balanced team than either the titans or cowboys in 2022.

If you’re being headhunted and have someone in your employ to scout jobs, then sure, but 99% of people don’t have (both of) those situations.

Is this in regards to the Staggs stuff? Do you only see things in black and white? This is a bloke that hasn’t got himself in the slightest bit of trouble or put the club into any disrepute whatsoever. Fucking wild that anyone would give him some leniency.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Black and white? No, race isn't involved!

It's just that it normally doesn't matter if a player's been a bit naughty or not, if they check out their options or talk to another club it usually attracts severe criticism.

I have seen very little from Dearden to show he is the ‘next bjg thing’ as a halfback.

Maybe he is and if he leaves and dominates, I’ll regret it. But I haven’t seen anything from him yet, to make me get upset if he goes...

I have seen very little from Dearden to show he is the ‘next bjg thing’ as a halfback.

Maybe he is and if he leaves and dominates, I’ll regret it. But I haven’t seen anything from him yet, to make me get upset if he goes...

I think the biggest things we've seen from him is his effort, particularly in the side we had last season. Also his defence is elite already for a half and a small bloke at that. He has a fair amount of composure too, despite us looking like we had no idea a lot of the time.

It's easy to exaggerate the positives after last season, so this year will be his test to see if he can be as good as we hope. Having a former halfback as coach should do wonders for him

lol.
Does anyone want any of the Roosters players?
Manu?
Taukeiaho?
I don't know anyone...

Why is the wooden spoon team getting the most attention on the transfer market.
Because others understand our recruitment / retention team are inept making our up and coming stars easy marks.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, time to start playing a bit of hard ball here. Say to him, ‘look you want to go? Fine and we’ll be sorry to see you leave but just remember Clifford and what you will be losing here in terms of facilities and how we take care of our own, etc. You go there, it could be better or it could be worse but know this, we want you and halfback is obviously yours if you want it but we aren’t offering you a cent over $350k and you have until Friday to decide. You miss the deadline and while we are definitely not releasing you, we’ll also be forced to push you down the pecking order.’
I'd agree with that but I'd also map out for him the potential road map of his future here, including the kind of money he can expect on his next contract if he establishes himself. I'd be doing this for every player we sign.
Show them where they stand but let them see a future with us and where it can take them. At least with those we see as long term players.
Saying that to an Isaako, then actively courting another big name player, on big money to be there is more of a slap in the face than a encouragement.
In those cases you have to be honest and tell him the truth if you go there, or risk a feeling of betrayal down the line.

The Shit Factory is reporting Tom Dearden flew to Townsville for a one on one with Cowboys' sweet talker Johnathan Thurston. You know why. Cowboys football-operations chief Micheal Luck spills:

“There is interest in Tom. With Jake Clifford going to Newcastle next year, we have a vacancy at halfback and we are looking at several options and Tom is among them. In a tough year for the Broncos last season, Tom was pretty good and he is one we are looking at. We talked to Tom about how our squad looked. He was impressed with what he saw. Todd (Payten) is very up front in how he talks to his players and how we wants our team to play and what role they have at our club."

“Tom spent his formative years in Mackay and his parents are back in Gatton at the moment. He was actually in our Cowboys Academy at Mackay four or five years ago so he is not foreign to our set up and what we do. This deal won’t be done in the next few days, but I’d like to think he liked what he saw ... we will see how we go.”

View attachment 11385
Not going anywhere...but up

Dearden’s manager Sam Ayoub said:

“We were totally transparent with the Broncos. I contacted ‘Kevvie’ and let him know we were going up to Townsville and he was really good about it. He said he had no problem with Tom talking to the Cowboys because the reality is he is still contracted to the Broncos. It was a positive meet-and-greet. There were no contracts tabled, but the Cowboys wanted to express interest in Tom as he weighs up his options for next season. Johnathan (Thurston) has a huge regard for Tom and has known him for several years. Tom is in no rush. He wants to see how he starts the season at the Broncos and he will weigh things up at the appropriate time.”

McHunt
Lol at his slimy ass manager saying they were transparent with Kevvie and he was fine with it, what is he meant to say?

Dearden: Hey Kevvie, even though I have achieved nothing and haven’t lead the team to a win in nearly a season despite the constant media hype, I’m going to head up to the Cowboys to ensure you guys get into bidding war for me, peace!

Kevvie: no dramas Tommy, this is the Broncos culture I have been talking about thanks for listening.

If we negotiated the way half of you guys wanted us to we’d have 6 players left. This is how it is in most industries, e.g these guys are willing to pay me x what can you guys offer? Even more so given a player manager is involved. Dearden has every right to look after his interests. This is just how it is when you have a squad of young and talented players. The Panthers nearly lost Cleary a number of times, and even signed his Dad as coach out of fear of him going elsewhere.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.