Denan Kemp

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Yep. I think it was admirable the Broncos signed him given he was injured and his prospects elsewhere were limited, but really it was foolish.

Exactly.

It's great to 'have a heart' occasionally, but as a professional rugby league club, you need to make professional decisions.

IMO, that decision wasn't very well thought out.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
My understanding though is that they'd come to terms but just hadn't signed anything. And again, morally the Broncos thought it'd be unfair to take the offer off the table due to injury.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
*facepalm*

The Broncos upgraded Michaels' contract.
If they didn't upgrade Michaels' contract and instead didn't re-sign him, they would've been able to upgrade Boyd's contract for 2010 after he took his option for 2009.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
*facepalm*

The Broncos upgraded Michaels' contract.
If they didn't upgrade Michaels' contract and instead didn't re-sign him, they would've been able to upgrade Boyd's contract for 2010 after he took his option for 2009.

+2342389526548572307239874309874032750285720915730289984572

Coxy has all the answers.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Orsom plan, let's pay double for one player when both he and another - at that stage of their careers - are showing similar ability at NRL level.

This is one of the only things i agree with Cullen on. Pretty sure we didn't, and don't, need to fork out close to 200k for another back when we have the superstars we already do. It's been well mentioned on here both the salary cap and talent disparity between our backs and forwards.

With Folau coming, one was always going to go. With them both having performed similarly, It seems logical to cut the more expensive one.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
what about the Salary cap?

Your not suggesting Brisbane are gonna go over are you?

because K-Hunt's gone and kemp will be on 1/4 of that

*took ages to post my comment, so sorry :P *

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
m1c said:
Orsom plan, let's pay double for one player when both he and another - at that stage of their careers - are showing similar ability at NRL level.

This is one of the only things i agree with Cullen on. Pretty sure we didn't, and don't, need to fork out close to 200k for another back when we have the superstars we already do. It's been well mentioned on here both the salary cap and talent disparity between our backs and forwards.

With Folau coming, one was always going to go. With them both having performed similarly, It seems logical to cut the more expensive one.

Performed similarly?

Boyd had been a mainstay in our team for the previous two seasons. Michaels hadn't.

Michaels suffered a career threatening knee injury, Boyd didn't.

It made no sense to sign Michaels instead of Boyd. Face it.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Yes performed similarly. Michaels had come back from a broken leg and was playing just as well if not better than Boyd. Before he injured his knee there wasn't much between the two of them for the vacant QLD wing spot.

lollzzz and Boyd was such a popular member of the team at BHQ... everyone on here flips and flops like a fish on dry land when it comes to their opinion.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
m1c said:
Yes performed similarly. Michaels had come back from a broken leg and was playing just as well if not better than Boyd. Before he injured his knee there wasn't much between the two of them for the vacant QLD wing spot.

lollzzz and Boyd was such a popular member of the team at BHQ... everyone on here flips and flops like a fish on dry land when it comes to their opinion.

Re: Reni Matuai
Most people will probably disagree with me, but i'd rather re-sign Boyd than Michaels.

by ningnangnong
on April 16th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Forum: Broncos Talk
Topic: Reni Matuai
Replies: 136
Views: 1853

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hmmmm, agree with m1c to a degree. Their performances had been similar. Michaels played every game of 2007, and was in good form in 2008 before his knee injury.

Boyd played every game of 2006 and most of 2007, though had a dip in form. He was also playing well first half of 2008.

The big difference here is that Michaels was off contract this year. Boyd was technically still on contract until NEXT year (a one year option in his favour for 2009). Similar situation to Stagg. The Broncos said they would honour his option, but couldn't offer them anything for 2010 and beyond, so take your chance with another club if it comes along. Both did.

It's very very easy to say in hindsight upgrading Michaels' contract (3 years if I remember correctly) while letting Boyd negotiate with other clubs was a bad decision. But Michaels DID show a lot of promise in first half of 2008.

Sadly he has failed to come back from his knee injury.

But it's just like those now saying we're idiots for letting Taylor go, when at the time it happened he was not putting in the effort, and his few performances for the Broncos were abysmal. Suddenly he's in form and we can retrospectively say it's a bad decision.

Jarryd Hayne was in SHIT form at the start of the year. I remember he played against us up here and dropped the ball every time he got it. Including over the line when a try was certain. If his contract was up for renewal you'd have had no qualms with Parramatta saying he was free to leave (given his bad form and off field incidents last year as well).

Imagine if they did.

Now he's the Dally M medal winner and easily the form player in the competition...does it make it a wrong decision? You can't possibly know what the future. Every decision is a gamble.

Hell the Broncos could re-sign Darren Lockyer for 2 years and 2 weeks in he suffers a career ending injury (pray that doesn't happen). Does it make it a mistake? No. Just an unfortunate turn of events.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I thought it was a bad decision to re-sign Michaels when we did, not in hindsight. [icon_wink

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ningnangnong said:
I thought it was a bad decision to re-sign Michaels when we did, not in hindsight. [icon_wink

I know, well played! Just saying arm chair critics generally are experts in hindsight. Ask Gus :P

At the time I could understand why they chose to re-sign Michaels, but as much as it'd make me look like a prick, if I were Bruno I would've revised the contract terms and perhaps even reduced it to a 1 year deal.

Then I would've agreed to Boyd's option. And have them playing off against eachother this year for a contract in 2010.

Unfortunately I don't have any forum posts to evidence that I felt that way so I won't be a Gus and claim I did say that. [icon_lol1.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
To be honest, it would have been great to keep Boyd. The club had thought highly of him for a long time, he was one of the best junior outside back talents in years.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Seriously how good is Denan Kemp... Bloody good thats how good...

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
denan.png

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.